Not Posting after CPU upgrade

velillen

Ill start with the system. This is an unraid server.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 3200g 

Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo- Asus X570 Prime

RAM -16gb G.Skil Ripjaw

PSU - EVGA suprnova 750 watt

GPU - NVIDIA 1660 super

HDDs/SSDs - mix of HDD's and SSD's.

HBA Card- LSI one (forget model number)

OS - Unraid Server 6.11.5

BIOS Version - latest available 

The unraid server was running just fine with everything detected and working.

Ok now the problem! I decided to upgrade to an AMD 3600 CPU. Figured it would be straight forward. Firs sort of "odd" thing was when i was removing the cooler (NH-U9S), the cpu did come off with the cooler. Didnt take any force to get it off but was just a bit odd like the "locking arm" thing had come loose or something

Upon installing the 3600 I got nothing. The PC turns on, fans spin up, drives click, all that. But got a blank screen and nothing ever happened (ie no loading into unraid, bios, ect). Monitor just shows blank screen and then goes into "power save mode". Figured ok something is up with that cpu. So i tried to go back to the 3200g and got the same results. Everything "turns on", fans spin up, but the system never displays and output or boots into unraid.

There are no beeps or anything.

Things i have tried -

- Removed the HHD's and SSD's, GPU, and HBA card. 

- Tried resetting CMOS by pulling the battery out.

- Double checking the CPU is in the socket properly

- Checked the socket on the mobo the best i could. It looks fine

Right now all that is connected/installed is the CPU/MOBO/RAM. Front IO (well power button and reset). Then a network cable and the HDMI cable for the monitor.

So Im looking for help at this point. The server had been up and running till i turned it off and tried to swap the CPU. 

First of all the 3600 does not have integrated graphics so you're not going to get a display signal unless you have the GTX 1660 installed and your display cable plugged directly into the GPU. 

Did you check for any bent or broken pins on either CPU? The issue you had where the CPU came out of the socket with the cooler is a very common one. And in a lot of cases it damages the pins on the CPU. 

Was the 3600 purchased new or used?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

First of all the 3600 does not have integrated graphics so you're not going to get a display signal unless you have the GTX 1660 installed and your display cable plugged directly into the GPU. 

Did you check for any bent or broken pins on either CPU? The issue you had where the CPU came out of the socket with the cooler is a very common one. And in a lot of cases it damages the pins on the CPU. 

its a 3600G

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

7 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I should have been a bit clearer, the 3600 wasnt outputting anything via the 1660super (using hdmi which i tried two different HDMi cables and two different monitors i know work).  The 3200g isnt outputting anything via the 1660 super OR onboard.

I did look at the pins and both look fine to my eyes (dont see any bent). And both CPU's "drop" freely into the socket.

Its a used 3600.

Also right now the system has the 3200g back in it. Same issue with not posting but no error beeps or anything. Its hooked up to the onboard graphics which had worked previously (as the 1660 super is removed). The 3600 is off to the side at the moment

26 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

its a 3600G

There isn't a 3600G.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

There isn't a 3600G.

Sorry 3200G

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

There isn't a 3600G.

7 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Sorry 3200G

still an igpu tho

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Can you remove the cooler and CPU and post a close up of the socket?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

43 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Sorry 3200G

36 minutes ago, filpo said:

still an igpu tho

Right, either way OP is trying to use a 3600 as the new CPU, which like I said in my original reply does not have integrated graphics. 

2 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

My whole reply was referring to OP testing it with just the CPU, Ram, and MOBO. If they use the 3600 they will have to use the GPU as well. I was just clarifying to make sure OP wasn't trying to test the 3600 in the system without the GPU connected.

29 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Can you remove the cooler and CPU and post a close up of the socket?

Sure. not the best pictures though. I took one of the 3200g but it came out blurry.

Dont mind the terrible thermal paste job either. Im out of paste so for testing can only "reuse" whats on the cooler and cpu.

I did order a new motherboard just in case (same one I have in my main pc). And some more paste. Being rural it should hopefully be here Friday (which is much better than most stuff!)

PXL_20230418_174744514.jpg

PXL_20230418_174831235.jpg

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Right, either way OP is trying to use a 3600 as the new CPU, which like I said in my original reply does not have integrated graphics. 

My whole reply was referring to OP testing it with just the CPU, Ram, and MOBO. If they use the 3600 they will have to use the GPU as well. I was just clarifying to make sure OP wasn't trying to test the 3600 in the system without the GPU connected.

Which i appreciate! usually ends up being something silly (like using the 3600 and non-existent onboard graphics!)

Im back to using the 3200g since it is a known good CPU....both CPU wise and outputting graphics just to make things clear

Aside from a dirty mobo, I didn't notice anything. Good thing you ordered a new one!

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂