AORUS Z790 ELITE AX rev 1.1 - BIOS stutter/freeze

NamelessGod

TDLR :聽AORUS Z790 ELITE AX rev 1.1 on all BIOS verions is聽stuttering/freezing when running with a i9-13900kF and a 3080 GPU

Hello!
I've recently upgraded my custom build by updating it to the latest Intel 13th-gen lineup.
As said in the title, I bought a new AORUS Z790 ELITE AX motherboard with an i9-13900kf and used my old 3080 for the GPU.
I have also bought new DDR5 modules (Kingston Fury 4x32GB 6000MT/s CL36-38-38) to take full advantage of the new CPU.
To my surprise, when booting up to the BIOS, the GUI is weirdly freezing/running at low frame counts.
I updated it to version FDa, tried enabling/disabling XMP/EXPO, and even reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS while the PSU was unplugged, which worked and reset the BIOS without fixing the issue.
My CPU is running at a nice 38C in the BIOS so i'm not really sure what could be causing this.
Could it be because my CPU doesn't have Integrated Graphics and GPU video output is somewhat not working properly?
I know that the GPU is working fine since it was working flawlessly in my previous rig.

I can still return the motherboard / CPU so should I switch it or buy a new motherboard?

Thanks in advance 馃檪

Build :聽

Gigabyte AORUS Z790 ELITE AX
Intel i9-13900kf
Kingston Fury 6000MT/s CL36-38-38 -聽4x32GB
MSI 3080聽Ventus 3X
Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB

Seagate IronWolf Pro - 8TB
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax

14 minutes ago, NamelessGod said:

Noctua NH-D15 Chromax

Good luck with that, my i5-13600K thermal throttles with this cooler. (Not Noctuas fault but rather a shit IHS issue)

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

15 minutes ago, NamelessGod said:

I can still return the motherboard / CPU so should I switch it or buy a new motherboard?

Try this because it really wouldnt cost you much and would tell you which part is dead if you do it incrementally聽

19 minutes ago, NamelessGod said:

Could it be because my CPU doesn't have Integrated Graphics and GPU video output is somewhat not working properly?

Have u installed your drivers or used ddu?

19 minutes ago, NamelessGod said:

I know that the GPU is working fine since it was working flawlessly in my previous rig.

Don鈥檛 do it yet, wait for some more suggestions. Also have u tried resetting cmos?聽

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help聽

Current parts list:聽

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

What does it do if you only have 1 stick of ram installed?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post.聽

Project Hot Box

CPU聽13900k, Motherboard聽Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM聽CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC,Case聽Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb,聽CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i,聽Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator,聽Displays聽Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard聽Mountain Everest Max,聽Mouse聽Mountain Makalu 67, Sound聽AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR聽

Oppbevaring

CPU聽i9-9900k,聽Motherboard,聽ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8)聽GPUs聽Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080,聽Case聽Mining Frame, 2x聽Storage聽Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB,聽PSU聽Corsair RM1000x and RM850x,聽Cooling聽Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

25 minutes ago, filpo said:

Have u installed your drivers or used ddu?

Don鈥檛 do it yet, wait for some more suggestions. Also have u tried resetting cmos?聽

Fresh install on windows 11, after the attorious bootup times, it actually bsod twice when I wasn't stress-testing it

Yes, as said, I already reset the CMOS by removing the battery

19 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

What does it do if you only have 1 stick of ram installed?

I'll try but the RAM is under the D15 so I would have to remove it to be able to only have 1 ram stick, and I dont have enough thermal paste at hand to be able to remount it properly after that

2 minutes ago, NamelessGod said:

I'll try but the RAM is under the D15 so I would have to remove it to be able to only have 1 ram stick, and I dont have enough thermal paste at hand to be able to remount it properly after that

My thought behind that is that our gigabyte boards have a hard time with ram. I鈥檝e got the Aorus Elite AX and can hardly get some early DDR5 to run at 5200 with 4 sticks. 2 sticks and it does it just fine.聽
4 sticks of DDR5 in general is a lot for Intel and AMDs memory controllers and a lot of the gigabyte boards seem to make it worse.聽

Project Hot Box

CPU聽13900k, Motherboard聽Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM聽CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC,Case聽Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tb,聽CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i,聽Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator,聽Displays聽Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard聽Mountain Everest Max,聽Mouse聽Mountain Makalu 67, Sound聽AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR聽

Oppbevaring

CPU聽i9-9900k,聽Motherboard,聽ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8)聽GPUs聽Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080,聽Case聽Mining Frame, 2x聽Storage聽Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB,聽PSU聽Corsair RM1000x and RM850x,聽Cooling聽Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

33 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Try this because it really wouldnt cost you much and would tell you which part is dead if you do it incrementally聽

It's what I will do, probably going to get another z790 from another manufacturer at the same time (asus or msi) since I'm already familiar with their BIOS.
Since I'm returning 1/2 of the components already, what do you reckon I should get for the cooler if the beefiest air-cooler will not be enough? I'm mainly used air-cooled solutions in the past so what do you reckon I should get for a cooling solution?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

My thought behind that is that our gigabyte boards have a hard time with ram. I鈥檝e got the Aorus Elite AX and can hardly get some early DDR5 to run at 5200 with 4 sticks. 2 sticks and it does it just fine.聽
4 sticks of DDR5 in general is a lot for Intel and AMDs memory controllers and a lot of the gigabyte boards seem to make it worse.聽

Thanks for the info, ill definitly switch to another motherboard brand then, do you recommand any other models that would have better support (something like Asus or MSI) that would be under 500$? Of what I've seen, z790 chipset mb get real pricey real fast which is why I tried this one...

7 minutes ago, NamelessGod said:

It's what I will do, probably going to get another z790 from another manufacturer at the same time (asus or msi) since I'm already familiar with their BIOS.
Since I'm returning 1/2 of the components already, what do you reckon I should get for the cooler if the beefiest air-cooler will not be enough? I'm mainly used air-cooled solutions in the past so what do you reckon I should get for a cooling solution?

arctic liquid freezer ii 360聽

1 minute ago, NamelessGod said:

Thanks for the info, ill definitly switch to another motherboard brand then, do you recommand any other models that would have better support (something like Asus or MSI) that would be under 500$? Of what I've seen, z790 chipset mb get real pricey real fast which is why I tried this one...

I鈥檝e seen good things said about the MSI pro.聽
You also don鈥檛 need a z790. Could go with a z690 to save some cash and just update the bios. Almost all 690 boards will have a bios flashback.聽
What I would do is return ram kit and motherboard. Get a 2x32 kit and your motherboard of choice. Depending on your work load the d15 will do fine. Just give the 13900k a little less power. Pick up a bend correcting frame and if you stick with the d15 some more thermal paste.聽

Something to keep in mind about the 13900k is that you can thermal throttle it on any cooling solution just about. Mine is in a custom loop and at stock settings still can thermal throttle under synthetic loads. Yes an AIO will do better and get some more performance.聽

Depending on your work load a 13700k probably makes more sense honestly.聽

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I鈥檝e seen good things said about the MSI pro.聽
You also don鈥檛 need a z790. Could go with a z690 to save some cash and just update the bios. Almost all 690 boards will have a bios flashback.聽
What I would do is return ram kit and motherboard. Get a 2x32 kit and your motherboard of choice. Depending on your work load the d15 will do fine. Just give the 13900k a little less power. Pick up a bend correcting frame and if you stick with the d15 some more thermal paste.聽

Something to keep in mind about the 13900k is that you can thermal throttle it on any cooling solution just about. Mine is in a custom loop and at stock settings still can thermal throttle under synthetic loads. Yes an AIO will do better and get some more performance.聽

Depending on your work load a 13700k probably makes more sense honestly.聽

I wanted the newer/better chipset for longevity, my previous rig was from 2018 with the 8700k so I don't mind paying a bit more as long as it last.
I do need the amount of ram / cpu because I'm doing something related to game development and therefore my old CPU was really starting to struggle when I had a game running with multiple instance of Visual Studio (IDE) and a game editor all running / compiling at the same time 馃槃

I probably could throttle it but then I would lose performance and that wasn't the goal of this build.

I'll probably go with a ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F / arctic liquid freezer ii 360 as Bob__ recommended and will update here when I get them installed / tested