Upgrading AM4 PC build

Budget (including currency): 6-8k PLN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming -  UWQHD (3440x1440) 144HZ, mostly shooters (example: Witcher 3, DOOM, Cyberpunk 2077, Deathloop), occasional Unreal Engine work (educational, not full game development)

Other details 

I'm considering upgrading my computer based on am4 board and I'm not sure if it is good idea.

Current setup
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
MOBO: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
GPU: ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING
RAM: 16 (2x8)GB G.SKILL 3200 MHZ
PSU: 550W generic power supply 

Target setup
CPU: Ryzen 5 5800x3d
MOBO: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (the same)
GPU: Asus TUF-RTX-4070Ti-OC12GB-GDDR6X
RAM: 32 (2x16) GB G.SKILL 3200 MHZ (possibly 3600mhz)
PSU: TUF Gaming 850W Gold

Questions:
- is that good idea overall?
- will slower ram (3200 mhz) be a bottleneck for other components? I'm ok with some 
- I was searching for info but not didn't find it -  B450 chipset (after BIOS update) could run 3600 mhz memory with zen 3rd gen?

- is Asus TUF psu any good? it has 10 year warranty and currently on nice cashback promotion locally for me.

- I was considering making new build on am5 platform, but is to pricy for my current budget.
Will be thankful for any opinions and suggestions.

So for AM4, I personally believe that 3200MHz is more than adequate considering I was running 2400MHz ram with a Ryzen 7 1700 and 3800XT and it was fine.

I actually picked up some 3200MHz DDR4 for a sort of refresh and stop gap upgrade I'm doing to my PC until I can swing a major overhaul and platform change. 

My primary question, is there any particular reason for wanting to go with an RTX 4070Ti, I don't personally have any issue against it for slightly higher than 1440p high refresh rate gaming...

Though I'd see how RX 6900XT/6950XTs and 7900XTs compare for the money in your country, unless that's something you already looked into and the 4070Ti was cheaper than the AMD cards?

Overall I think that's a solid plan if you're happy with your B450 board 🙂

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Most likely there would be 3200 and 3600 ddr4 rams that are almost the same price. Not to mention, most of the time you can overclock those 3200 to 3600. But in principle, there's really very little improvement. However, for the 5000 series/3rd gen ryzen, 3600 is actually the best option. The 3200 were for the 2000/3000 series. As for the PSU, I think that's a decent one. But if your budget is around $140-200, might as well, get evga/corsair/superflower/seasonic/bequiet, whichever is the most affordable 850-1000w.

The 5800X3D is less sensitive to slower RAM because of the large cache. 3200MHz is fine. That 4070Ti should last you through this console generation, seeing as consoles can use up to 12GB of VRAM. I don't see any problems with the build.

Edit: Something I can recommend is a good CPU cooler. The 5800X3D can run a bit warm unless you undervolt it. I have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 140mm on mine.

1 hour ago, yoss40i4 said:

Budget (including currency): 6-8k PLN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming -  UWQHD (3440x1440) 144HZ, mostly shooters (example: Witcher 3, DOOM, Cyberpunk 2077, Deathloop), occasional Unreal Engine work (educational, not full game development)

Other details 

I'm considering upgrading my computer based on am4 board and I'm not sure if it is good idea.

Current setup
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
MOBO: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
GPU: ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING
RAM: 16 (2x8)GB G.SKILL 3200 MHZ
PSU: 550W generic power supply 

Target setup
CPU: Ryzen 5 5800x3d
MOBO: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (the same)
GPU: Asus TUF-RTX-4070Ti-OC12GB-GDDR6X
RAM: 32 (2x16) GB G.SKILL 3200 MHZ (possibly 3600mhz)
PSU: TUF Gaming 850W Gold

Questions:
- is that good idea overall?
- will slower ram (3200 mhz) be a bottleneck for other components? I'm ok with some 
- I was searching for info but not didn't find it -  B450 chipset (after BIOS update) could run 3600 mhz memory with zen 3rd gen?

- is Asus TUF psu any good? it has 10 year warranty and currently on nice cashback promotion locally for me.

- I was considering making new build on am5 platform, but is to pricy for my current budget.
Will be thankful for any opinions and suggestions.

Good list

Don't worry for the 3200MHz RAM, it's ok (at CL16) and 3D chips don't care much about RAM speed anyway

You should add a decent cooler tho, AIO 240mm+ or good aircooler (Tier5+)

Why a B450 board ? B550 are better and not really more expensive

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I believe OP wants to keep their motherboard, which also means they won't have to reinstall Windows. May need a BIOS update, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Compared to a 2600 on a stock cooler, any aftermarket cooler on the 5800x3d would be about the same.  A 6-pipe twin tower would be best, but it really depends on what kind of pricing you local market has whether it's worth it or not.  I have a friend running a 1700 on a 140mm AiO, which is a similar heat situation than the 5800x3d on a a hyper 212type cooler, and he still run's it at 4.0GHz.  

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

10 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

My primary question, is there any particular reason for wanting to go with an RTX 4070Ti, I don't personally have any issue against it for slightly higher than 1440p high refresh rate gaming...

Though I'd see how RX 6900XT/6950XTs and 7900XTs compare for the money in your country, unless that's something you already looked into and the 4070Ti was cheaper than the AMD cards?

4070 Ti is priced similar to 7900XT, 6900XT/6950XT are a little bit cheaper, but have also a little less performance, so performance to price ratio is similar. I'm going with nvidia card mainly for dlss 3. I'm not sure if more than 12gb is necessary at this point, and 4070ti is also more power efficient. I would gladly listen to your opinion in this matter, I previously owned few AMD cards, but this time team green looks better. And its maybe to powerful for now, but that means it will last longer imo.

10 hours ago, kitnoman said:

As for the PSU, I think that's a decent one. But if your budget is around $140-200, might as well, get evga/corsair/superflower/seasonic/bequiet, whichever is the most affordable 850-1000w.

This Asus TUF is currently most affordable, that why I'm asking. 🙂

9 hours ago, HorseBattery said:

Edit: Something I can recommend is a good CPU cooler. The 5800X3D can run a bit warm unless you undervolt it. I have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 140mm on mine.

8 hours ago, PDifolco said:

7 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Compared to a 2600 on a stock cooler, any aftermarket cooler on the 5800x3d would be about the same.  A 6-pipe twin tower would be best, but it really depends on what kind of pricing you local market has whether it's worth it or not.  I have a friend running a 1700 on a 140mm AiO, which is a similar heat situation than the 5800x3d on a a hyper 212type cooler, and he still run's it at 4.0GHz.  

I didn't mentioned it, but I'm using Fera 3 cooler (its polish brand, trying to support local business). It's doing its job just fine. I'm going to try run new cpu with the same cooler, if it would be not good enough than I will change it to something bigger or AIO.

9 hours ago, PDifolco said:

8 hours ago, HorseBattery said:

I believe OP wants to keep their motherboard, which also means they won't have to reinstall Windows. May need a BIOS update, but that's about it.

That's correct, just want to save some money, this motherboard is good enough for me at this point. I have already updated bios, so it is ready for new cpu. 🙂

Thank you all for reassuring me, I try to keep up with current technology, but sometimes things are a little bit confusing. Now I can buy all parts and don't worry for the outcome.

3 minutes ago, yoss40i4 said:

I didn't mentioned it, but I'm using Fera 3 cooler (its polish brand, trying to support local business). It's doing its job just fine. I'm going to try run new cpu with the same cooler, if it would be not good enough than I will change it to something bigger or AIO.

Huh, having a look the Polish Fera 3 seems inadequate for a 5800X3D...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

After all I decided to go with a new bigger cooler, also from Silentium PC Fortis 5. I checked few review and it should do the job.