Netflix not outputting stereo correctly

Okay this just happened recently. Netflix automatically switches to 5.1 when opened on my Roku tv and fire stick. So shows that don't have surround just use left and right. It used to switch based on the source. What's weird is Amazon prime and YouTube switch probably. They send stereo to the receiver if it's in stereo and 5.1 if it's in surround. Did Netflix update recently to do this. Why does other apps work properly but Netflix is locked to 5.1.

2 hours ago, ThePotatoMan1248 said:

Okay this just happened recently. Netflix automatically switches to 5.1 when opened on my Roku tv and fire stick. So shows that don't have surround just use left and right. It used to switch based on the source. What's weird is Amazon prime and YouTube switch probably. They send stereo to the receiver if it's in stereo and 5.1 if it's in surround. Did Netflix update recently to do this. Why does other apps work properly but Netflix is locked to 5.1.

i know an avr can upmix stereo to 5.1. my denon does it. it all depends on how you set the setting on the avr. maybe thats what its doing?

So it's connected optical and it's receiving 5.1 but only playing on left and right. But on YouTube it receives stereo then It can do fake surround sound.