Frame "skipping", "graphic lag" or stalling in WoW.

DannyBoii

This started yesterday and it's slowly getting worse as time goes on.  When I go in and out of combat or cast spells my frames skip or the screen stalls for a second. It's enough to be annoying because I have to account for that when I'm moving around/looting etc. I haven't done maint on my GPU in a long while so that might be it but it's only running at 60c during WoW sessions. I don't run at max settings, tbh I run at low to medium. I haven't changed anything recently either, so.

I run

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Ryzen 5 3600x

Crucial Ballistix 32 gig (Just bought these.)

WD Blue M.2 SSD (Bought this for Christmas)

I bought the gpu just before the pandemic IIRC

The processor was during the pandemic.

Anyway, that's all I know. I basically can't play right now because of this lag. Thanks in advance for any help.

8 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

This started yesterday and it's slowly getting worse as time goes on.  When I go in and out of combat or cast spells my frames skip or the screen stalls for a second. It's enough to be annoying because I have to account for that when I'm moving around/looting etc. I haven't done maint on my GPU in a long while so that might be it but it's only running at 60c during WoW sessions. I don't run at max settings, tbh I run at low to medium. I haven't changed anything recently either, so.

I run

Ryzen 5 3600x

Anyway, that's all I know. I basically can't play right now because of this lag. Thanks in advance for any help.

I would clean the dust of the fans if any. Is it laptop or pc ?

If you check WoW technical support forums you will notice that a lot of players have such stutter problem in Dragonflight. Some from the launch even.

If it's the game then you can't do much about it. If it's not the game - there are few things to check/test:

* What is the capacity on the SSD and how much free space does it have left?

* Sometimes Nvidia drivers conflict with other drivers causing excess CPU load or just pure stutter/high latency in the system. This usually can be fixed by removing Nvidia drivers with DDU and installing them fresh.

* Also check if any Windows service or app isn't using a lot of CPU while WoW is having problems

* Disable any overlays (Discord, MSI Afterburner and alike), disable every addon and test again. If you have multi-monitor setup disconnect all monitors aside of the main and test again.

46 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

I run

Ryzen 5 3600x

I quit before DF but played from tbc through SL, but you need to be specific regarding the zones you're in. If you could also include a screenshot of your settings and the advanced settings menu, then I could help tailor that to your hardware.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

38 minutes ago, Greoig said:

I would clean the dust of the fans if any. Is it laptop or pc ?

yeah I thought the same. It's a desktop.

38 minutes ago, riklaunim said:

If you check WoW technical support forums you will notice that a lot of players have such stutter problem in Dragonflight. Some from the launch even.

If it's the game then you can't do much about it. If it's not the game - there are few things to check/test:

* What is the capacity on the SSD and how much free space does it have left?

* Sometimes Nvidia drivers conflict with other drivers causing excess CPU load or just pure stutter/high latency in the system. This usually can be fixed by removing Nvidia drivers with DDU and installing them fresh.

* Also check if any Windows service or app isn't using a lot of CPU while WoW is having problems

* Disable any overlays (Discord, MSI Afterburner and alike), disable every addon and test again. If you have multi-monitor setup disconnect all monitors aside of the main and test again.

It's a 1 tb WD Blue M.2.

I'll try DDU when I get a minute.

Checking for addon problems now. Thanks.

1 minute ago, DannyBoii said:

yeah I thought the same. It's a desktop.

Ok so... Yeah it's game problemo or just insufficient GPU power or idk something mysterious. Magik

11 minutes ago, Agall said:

I quit before DF but played from tbc through SL, but you need to be specific regarding the zones you're in. If you could also include a screenshot of your settings and the advanced settings menu, then I could help tailor that to your hardware.

I'm playing WOTLK Classic; I never had this problem in DF. Posting my settings now but I'm gonna try disabling addons to see what happens.

wow1.jpg

wow2.jpg

5 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

I'm playing WOTLK Classic; I never had this problem in DF. Posting my settings now but I'm gonna try disabling addons to see what happens.

Some things to test, ideally one at a time:

-Disable Vertical Sync

-Disable MSAA

-Texture filtering to 8x

WoW at 1080p (windowed) shouldn't fill a 4GB VRAM buffer, but sometimes DX12 can glutton VRAM, so testing Direct X 11 API versus DX12 would be beneficial.

It also looks like you're in a vanilla zone, so its not like its a potentially poor optimized newer zone.

Also worth testing disabling the 'max background FPS', a feature I've never liked personally.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Some things to test, ideally one at a time:

-Disable Vertical Sync

-Disable MSAA

-Texture filtering to 8x

WoW at 1080p (windowed) shouldn't fill a 4GB VRAM buffer, but sometimes DX12 can glutton VRAM, so testing Direct X 11 API versus DX12 would be beneficial.

It also looks like you're in a vanilla zone, so its not like its a potentially poor optimized newer zone.

Also worth testing disabling the 'max background FPS', a feature I've never liked personally.

Thanks a bunch, will get on that.

Well, some of your problem DannyBoii is that youre trying to play med settings with a GT1050 which only has 640 cuda cores. Put all your settiings on low and make sure shadows are off, textures low, AA and AF are disabled. That should give you enough boost to run up to 60fps pretty consistently on low. If you see it go under about 38fps its going to feel very sloow and hitchy. WoW was a cpu heavy game and still hits it pretty good, but around Lich King they reworked the graphics aapi and made it considerably harder on cards.Im sure theyve done it again since then at least once. Also, big battles of any type, especially with a bunch of magic going off will crush alot of pc's anyway. Make sure your internet upload is a 1 MB at least too.

2 hours ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

Well, some of your problem DannyBoii is that youre trying to play med settings with a GT1050 which only has 640 cuda cores. Put all your settiings on low and make sure shadows are off, textures low, AA and AF are disabled. That should give you enough boost to run up to 60fps pretty consistently on low. If you see it go under about 38fps its going to feel very sloow and hitchy. WoW was a cpu heavy game and still hits it pretty good, but around Lich King they reworked the graphics aapi and made it considerably harder on cards.Im sure theyve done it again since then at least once. Also, big battles of any type, especially with a bunch of magic going off will crush alot of pc's anyway. Make sure your internet upload is a 1 MB at least too.

More like WoD time frame with DX12. WoW isn't CPU heavy but just poorly optimized for multithreading, something that the DX12 rework improved upon.

Still the difference between a 5800x3D/7000x3D/13th gen and most other CPUs can be ridiculous. My brother's system had his framerate double when I swapped his CPU and RAM from the Ryzen 3600 and 3200MHz kit to my since replaced 5800x3D and 3600MHz kit.

Not really CPU intensive, just an old poorly optimized game with hundreds of player assets to draw in a given moment. More of a technical limitation if anything.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500