A way to have custom subtitles on a bluray or sumth

rrats

Basically since noone sells blu-ray discs in here, I asked one of my relatives from a Scandinavian country to get some of them for me. Almost all are in English or have English subs except for akira. that one has just 3 subs none of which are english and only japanese audio. Is there a way to like have subs on there? I don't care how painful it is, I am very satisfied by the video quality on the BD and I really do not want to pirate a film I bloody own.

Might depend on how far you define piracy.
You could try to rip the movie into a format that's playable on your computer and then get subs from somewhere like subscene.

That way you're not illegally obtaining a copy from somewhere else.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

6 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

Might depend on how far you define piracy.
You could try to rip the movie into a format that's playable on your computer and then get subs from somewhere like subscene.

That way you're not illegally obtaining a copy from somewhere else.

I see. Sadly I don't have a PC blu-ray reader. However it had just came to me that one of the people I know has HDMI capture card. It's probably going to be a really painful process.

17 minutes ago, rrats said:

Is there a way to like have subs on there?

Yes, VLC Media Player + .srt file for the bluray.

You can get .srt files here:

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/sublanguageid-all/idmovie-197

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

33 minutes ago, rrats said:

I see. Sadly I don't have a PC blu-ray reader. However it had just came to me that one of the people I know has HDMI capture card. It's probably going to be a really painful process.

I imagine you're going to run into HDCP issues with trying to use the capture card.

But anyways, if you're willing to go through all of this trouble... why not just pirate?

Linus openly admits to pirating because he's not going to waste time 'doing it the right way' by ripping his own media when someone else has already done the work.

Depending on your internet speed, downloading a 16GB-24GB bluray rip isn't bad compared to all of this work you're trying to put yourself through.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Yes you're right. I mean I bought the medium, shouldn't be bad enough to pirate it. Also it still has the Japanese dub so if one day I learn Japanese I might be able to watch it

5 hours ago, rrats said:

I see. Sadly I don't have a PC blu-ray reader.

It'd be easier to get a USB Blu Ray drive.  They're not /that/ expensive, and are super convenient.   

I use a LG BP60NB10 and it works GREAT

10 hours ago, rrats said:

Basically since noone sells blu-ray discs in here, I asked one of my relatives from a Scandinavian country to get some of them for me. Almost all are in English or have English subs except for akira. that one has just 3 subs none of which are english and only japanese audio. Is there a way to like have subs on there? I don't care how painful it is, I am very satisfied by the video quality on the BD and I really do not want to pirate a film I bloody own.

Step 1: Rip the disc using your PC

Step 2: Use Whisper to translate it using the audio OR find subs on the internet. Whisper works and can translate from Japanese to English. It'll create a SRT file that you can then use with the rip in MPC-HC or VLC.

Ripping BD discs is easy, albeit a bit annoying (eg ripping a 4K BD requires a very specific drive model, but a regular HD BD will pretty much work with an off-the-shelf BD drive)  Make sure before you invest in a BD-drive that the software that can do the ripping can use that model.

I won't point to where to get the software. It's in perpetual beta and the key to use it is in their forum along with a list of supported drives. But it's VERY VERY important to use a supported drive, otherwise it won't read the disc at all.

If you're not interested in ripping it to the PC yourself, then you're just going to have to acquire it some other way. Ripping a DVD or BD is easy as long as you have a supported BD-R drive.