Thoughts on buying 6900XT

frozensun

Hi friends.

Ok guys please don't tell me wait for 8000 series, get this get that, you are better with 3080/3090 etc....

I am thinking og buying this model (link below) guy won't reduce current price which is around 600 euros.

I know probably in your country is less but that is the price here.

So need your thoughts about this particular model.

My current card is 2080 Super and this would be huge upgrade.

I wanna play all newest AAA titles at highest settings on 1440p.

A guy told me yeah you can come here and test the card (lives 20 miles from me).

Rx 6900 xt 16gb (1 200 KM)
https://olx.ba/artikal/49988669

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hi friends.

Ok guys please don't tell me wait for 8000 series, get this get that, you are better with 3080/3090 etc....

I am thinking og buying this model (link below) guy won't reduce current price which is around 600 euros.

I know probably in your country is less but that is the price here.

My current card is 2080 Super and this would be huge upgrade.

I wanna play all newest AAA titles at highest settings on 1440p.

A guy told me yeah you can come here and test the card (lives 20 miles from me).

Rx 6900 xt 16gb (1 200 KM)
https://olx.ba/artikal/49988669

the msi gaming x trio is a good high clocked card and the 6900 xt is good for 1440p

However, for only 300 km more you can get the 7900 xt. But thats your opinion on whether to get that. The 6900 xt is still a good card and i would go for it. for 1440p i say pull the trigger

image.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

12 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Arguably one if the best 6900 XTs you can find. It's one of the XTXH models, so unlocked overclocking limits, a top bin (2-3% faster on average), and is pretty much a 6950 XT with a lower stock power limit (this is super easy to bypass on AMD cards). It also has arguably the best filtering setup of any 6900 XT, so it's one of the less likely to whine 6900 XTs you can find. Cooler wise it's not too spectacular, but it's still plenty. 

I'd still likely be looking for something else, but I definitely wouldn't be avoiding this card. 

Yep but there is one minor problem.

A guy is famous crypto currency miner and I  am like 80 % sure this card was used for mining though it's in its rig.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

MSI cards are okay imo, though I'm more of a fanboy of AMD exclusive AIB cards, like cards from Sapphire, PowerColor and XFX, and to a certain degree, ASRock because they don't do nVidia, just AMD and Intel cards. I've had bad experience with two Gigabyte VEGA64 Gaming OC's, while my Red Devil VEGA64 is still good.

Bought a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT back when it was just released, and also have an XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX, good enough temps so I can't complain. Check with seller IF he'd flashed the VBIOS to some 3rd party ones for mining, or is it on stock/reference VBIOS. I said this because I've come across posts where the poster is asking for help to flash back his/her card (flashed for mining usage) to stock ones.

Though I can only recall peeps with nVidia cards asking this, but figured we might as well cover all the bases.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

45 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

MSI cards are okay imo, though I'm more of a fanboy of AMD exclusive AIB cards, like cards from Sapphire, PowerColor and XFX, and to a certain degree, ASRock because they don't do nVidia, just AMD and Intel cards. I've had bad experience with two Gigabyte VEGA64 Gaming OC's, while my Red Devil VEGA64 is still good.

Bought a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT back when it was just released, and also have an XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX, good enough temps so I can't complain. Check with seller IF he'd flashed the VBIOS to some 3rd party ones for mining, or is it on stock/reference VBIOS. I said this because I've come across posts where the poster is asking for help to flash back his/her card (flashed for mining usage) to stock ones.

Though I can only recall peeps with nVidia cards asking this, but figured we might as well cover all the bases.

What particular BIOS version to check for?

How will I know judging by the BIOS version that card was used for mining?

I think you won't have regrets. I bought my Nitro+ also 2nd hand and i'm more than happy with the result. This particular MSI card should be even faster and somewhat cooler. Only make sure you have AT LEAST 850W PSU because it really needs it. Also what is the CPU you are planning to run this on? Anything older than intel 10th gen or ryzen 5000 should be upgraded, otherwise this GPU would just sit still for 70% of the time.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

3 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

I think you won't have regrets. I bought my Nitro+ also 2nd hand and i'm more than happy with the result. This particular MSI card should be even faster and somewhat cooler. Only make sure you have AT LEAST 850W PSU because it really needs it. Also what is the CPU you are planning to run this on? Anything older than intel 10th gen or ryzen 5000 should be upgraded, otherwise this GPU would just sit still for 70% of the time.

I only own 6700K and 3900X.

Would 3900X be okay?

I plan to game on 1440p which is not CPU bound I suppose.

The 3900X has almost the same performance as 5600X. It looses here and there, but the 5700X is solid 15% faster in all cases. The jump from Ryzen 3000 series to 5000 is just unbelievable. My 6900XT finally gave my 5800X3D a run for its money. At 1440p it's almost constantly above 35% utilization, which for this CPU is A LOT.

image.thumb.png.b18f5a9248e4de3cc3318b503e8f1769.png

This is Sniper Elite 5, utilizing all 16 threads at AT LEAST 21%. In more intense scenes the minimum is getting to 35% and some are close to 90%

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

2 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

The 3900X has almost the same performance as 5600X. It looses here and there, but the 5700X is solid 15% faster in all cases. The jump from Ryzen 3000 series to 5000 is just unbelievable. My 6900XT finally gave my 5800X3D a run for its money. At 1440p it's almost constantly above 35% utilization, which for this CPU is A LOT.

image.thumb.png.b18f5a9248e4de3cc3318b503e8f1769.png

This is Sniper Elite 5, utilizing all 16 threads at AT LEAST 21%. In more intense scenes the minimum is getting to 35% and some are close to 90%

Okay, but I don't have good income for paying extra to even CPU,I am sure 3900X is plenty enough for 6900XT, period!!

Yes, that MSI model should OC better, being 3x 8pin PCIe power connectors, my Nitro+ has only 2x 8pin. I have my RX 6900 XT paired with an R 9 3900X, so it'd be a similar setup as OP. Playing at 1440P, especially with AAA titles like RE4R, Hogwarts Legacy, even DSR would put enough stress on the GPU that the CPU becomes less of a bottleneck.

I use my R9 3900X + 32GB RAM + RX 6900 XT as a 2nd gaming/HTPC rig, it's hooked up to a 4K TV so I'd be GPU bound instead, especially for more GPU intensive games. I tried DSR at FSR2 at 'Quality' setting on my 4K TV, max ingame setting and it was hitting a between 50fps to 60fps, which, for a game like DSR, is quite playable.

As for the VBIOS, it depends, IF the seller had not flashed the BIOS and had left it at stock, then it's all good. When you get the card, I believe you can check against the GPU database on Tech Power Up (TPU) to see if the VBIOS matches the one in their rather comprehensive database.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

34 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Yes, that MSI model should OC better, being 3x 8pin PCIe power connectors, my Nitro+ has only 2x 8pin. I have my RX 6900 XT paired with an R 9 3900X, so it'd be a similar setup as OP. Playing at 1440P, especially with AAA titles like RE4R, Hogwarts Legacy, even DSR would put enough stress on the GPU that the CPU becomes less of a bottleneck.

I use my R9 3900X + 32GB RAM + RX 6900 XT as a 2nd gaming/HTPC rig, it's hooked up to a 4K TV so I'd be GPU bound instead, especially for more GPU intensive games. I tried DSR at FSR2 at 'Quality' setting on my 4K TV, max ingame setting and it was hitting a between 50fps to 60fps, which, for a game like DSR, is quite playable.

As for the VBIOS, it depends, IF the seller had not flashed the BIOS and had left it at stock, then it's all good. When you get the card, I believe you can check against the GPU database on Tech Power Up (TPU) to see if the VBIOS matches the one in their rather comprehensive database.

Okay.Thx....so no bottleneck with 3900X, just what I supposed.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

Okay.Thx....so no bottleneck with 3900X, just what I supposed.

EVen if there is some bottleneck, it won't be such a huge problem. Plus you can always get a new $200 5800X or even less if you go 2nd hand. I've seen many offers on $140-$160 5800X cpus with more than 10 months of remaining warranty.

Just now, QuantumSingularity said:

EVen if there is some bottleneck, it won't be such a huge problem. Plus you can always get a new $200 5800X or even less if you go 2nd hand. I've seen many offers on $140-$160 5800X cpus with more than 10 months of remaining warranty.

So buy new PC every 2-3 years,just like did each time?
Basically I need 80 % of new PC just so I can play newer titles....
Prices here are like 1.5x where you live,I remember 5800x here is still around 320 euros.
I state that 3900X is more then enough for 6900XT.
Besides it was my fault I didn't buy 3900X in plan for games,I wanted smth else,but my fault...

If you are in Europe, just browse the prices across the entire Union. Even on amazon(dot)de there are €210 5800Xs and by far this is not the cheapest site. When you sell your old CPU you will cover almost the entire cost, cause used 3900Xs still sell quite well for €200.

Don't get me wrong. Not that the 3900X is a bad CPU or that you "need" to upgrade every 2-3 years. It's that AMD just had such a huge IPC jump 3000 to 5000 that's it's a crime to not put in a 5800X (not the 3D) basically for free. And if you live in Europe and you don't shop crossborders... It's like if you live in Florida and never purchase anything from the rest of the 50 states of the USA.

For just getting few FPS not worth the spent money on upgrading CPU just for games.

I firstly must upgrade GPU.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:53 PM, QuantumSingularity said:

So 5800x is good for future proof gaming?

I could afford 5800X and some cheap B550 board.But again I need better GPU and that all costs way above my sallary/income.

So I need to choose either GPU or CPU+board.

On 4/10/2023 at 12:45 PM, frozensun said:

For just getting few FPS not worth the spent money on upgrading CPU just for games.

I firstly must upgrade GPU.

3900X to 5800X will be at least 20% uplift in most cases. Somewhere fewer percents, somewhere more than that. When it's basically free i don't see why not to do it. 

8 hours ago, frozensun said:

So 5800x is good for future proof gaming?

I could afford 5800X and some cheap B550 board.But again I need better GPU and that all costs way above my sallary/income.

So I need to choose either GPU or CPU+board.

If you have a B450/X470 mobo you don't need a new motherboard. Just update BIOS and drop in the new CPU. Even on some old 300 series chipsets, some manufacturers provide BIOS which supports the 5000 series Ryzen. Just need the mobo model to check it. And again - for the $200 that the 5800X now goes, you can easily sell the 3900X. There are people who need all the threads and don't care about the gaming aspect or the IPC uplift.

5 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

3900X to 5800X will be at least 20% uplift in most cases. Somewhere fewer percents, somewhere more than that. When it's basically free i don't see why not to do it. 

If you have a B450/X470 mobo you don't need a new motherboard. Just update BIOS and drop in the new CPU. Even on some old 300 series chipsets, some manufacturers provide BIOS which supports the 5000 series Ryzen. Just need the mobo model to check it. And again - for the $200 that the 5800X now goes, you can easily sell the 3900X. There are people who need all the threads and don't care about the gaming aspect or the IPC uplift.

Yeah thanks but I still don't see explanation why you think that 20% gain is worth spending 230 euros here.

Idk if i am stuttering or what... You buy the new CPU for €200-220, then open OLX, sell you old CPU for AT LEAST €200. Even on the same platform in you area, the 3900X is more exпensive:

https://olx.ba/artikal/51911575/amd-ryzen-9-3900x - cheapest used 3900X

https://olx.ba/artikal/52659118/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-380ghz-am4-box-100-100000063wof - cheapest new 5800X.

You can even sell your CPU first to be sure, and then when you get the money you can buy the new one, but you will have to stay w/o CPU for a day or two. 

This is of course give that you have a mobo that can support the 5800X. 

As to why i think it's worth it - well... you can have more performance for FREE. 20% is the difference Intel used to have between 5, even 6 generations of CPUs.