Getting Nokia T21 as my first ever android tablet.

Honyasu
Go to solution Solved by SirWendall,
13 minutes ago, Honyasu said:

Hello there, I'm currently a part-time teacher on elementary school. I'm thinking to step up my teaching with an android tablet to play a video to projector for my students. But I have no idea about tablets.

I watched internet and I found Nokia T21.

Can I connect it to a school projector with HDMI?

Also Is it worth the money since my max budget is 3 Million IDR or around 230 USD? Or should I change to another tablet?

Thanks in advance

Only thing you can do is cast to a screen. It only has a USB-C port on it.

nokia tablet.jpg

Hello there, I'm currently a part-time teacher on elementary school. I'm thinking to step up my teaching with an android tablet to play a video to projector for my students. But I have no idea about tablets.

Also Is it worth the money since my max budget is 3 Million IDR or around 230 USD? Or should I change to another tablet?

Thanks in advance

13 minutes ago, Honyasu said:

Thanks in advance

nokia tablet.jpg

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

6 minutes ago, SirWendall said:

nokia tablet.jpg

Oh, ok... I thought the OTG could do that... I may not be able to cast that since my school's projector only use the VGA connector. I will note this. Thanks

What does the tablet need to do?

It can not use its usb c port to output a display signal

Keep in mind this tablet will not be fast or super responsive as its using a low end soc from 2 years ago which wasnt great back then.

It also gets NO updates and is basically dead in the water software support wise due to the old soc. Its perfectly useable but its a good thing to know

22 hours ago, jaslion said:

Keep in mind this tablet will not be fast or super responsive as its using a low end soc from 2 years ago which wasnt great back then.

I know you're offering advice, but to me this just seems really picky.  How much longer would it really take, to open Fennec (Firefox branch, with about:config) or a photo, or load a web page?

Is it so awful that it makes the device annoying to use, or is this just... preference on performance to put it nicely?  I do very much appreciate you put in the effort to check update support, very important.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

OP, I don't think you need a tablet.  What I think you could use is an old, (very old by this point) laptop with a vga port.  The battery probably won't be maintained well, probably not used in a long time.

I think a laptop running Linux operating system like Fedora, with the light weight xfce or even fluxbox desktop, using Mozilla Firefox web browser would be enough to show videos.

I'm interested to know what information you are showing, is it tech, or building things, or monetary, or electronic waste and cobalt mining education?

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

5 hours ago, E-waste said:

Is it so awful that it makes the device annoying

That basically.

It has 2 weak performance cores and the rest are efficiency ones so it will experience quite noticeable slowdown.

Basically compareable to samsungs older a7 2020 tablet

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 8:30 PM, E-waste said:

OP, I don't think you need a tablet.  What I think you could use is an old, (very old by this point) laptop with a vga port.  The battery probably won't be maintained well, probably not used in a long time.

I think a laptop running Linux operating system like Fedora, with the light weight xfce or even fluxbox desktop, using Mozilla Firefox web browser would be enough to show videos.

I'm interested to know what information you are showing, is it tech, or building things, or monetary, or electronic waste and cobalt mining education?

I just want to show my student picture to learn English. With tablet I thougt it can be more fun since my student could press a picture to answer.

Most cheaper android tablets don't support HDMI alt mode, which is what you'll need to get video out from the USB-C port. With the budget you're on, maybe have a look at something like a Surface Go or older Surface Pro. I use a Surface Go for note taking with a cheap knockoff $20 pen and it's a little slow but it's alright, it doesn't run Android apps though so if you have your heart set on that, it won't work. I believe that would work over a Type C HDMI adapter you could get for pretty cheap. Otherwise your only other option would be to use screen mirroring with a Chromecast stick or something along with an Android Tablet. 

On 4/18/2023 at 6:17 PM, Honyasu said:

I just want to show my student picture to learn English. With tablet I thougt it can be more fun since my student could press a picture to answer.

You could buy a P.C. and a tablet within your budget, and send the screen of tablet to P.C. to projector :

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Android-Compact-Lasting-Battery/dp/B094Q89NKH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3MAZ6282T9OP0&keywords=tablet&qid=1682440488&sprefix=tab%2Caps%2C244&sr=8-3&th=1

it is 121$ right now, the cheapest I can trust not to stop working on you.

full specifications: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_a7_lite-10933.php

the P.C. [ Renewed i5 Mini PC: HP EliteDesk 800 G2 ] :

it's price goes from 100-150$ or so on Amazon, just make sure you get it from a trusted seller if not from a local shop in your country so you can see it working in front of you.