PSU headroom for GPU power fluctuations?

Go to solution Solved by Fred Castellum,

Admittedly I'm not necessarily looking at a 290x, but I wonder if there is a rule of thumb for how much overhead per GPU is needed to prevent power protection circuitry from kicking in.

E.g. if I was running at 90% of my PSU's rated capacity with dual graphics cards (PSU chosen based on average CPU and GPU(s) power consumption), could these power spikes cause problems if they caused the output of the PSU to be higher than its specified maximum load, even if just for a little while?

If I remember correctly the recommended overheard per GPU was around 75 watts each but its been while so I may be wrong. 

When looking at power supplies, is this kind of thing a valid concern?

Short-Draw.png

Admittedly I'm not necessarily looking at a 290x, but I wonder if there is a rule of thumb for how much overhead per GPU is needed to prevent power protection circuitry from kicking in.

E.g. if I was running at 90% of my PSU's rated capacity with dual graphics cards (PSU chosen based on average CPU and GPU(s) power consumption), could these power spikes cause problems if they caused the output of the PSU to be higher than its specified maximum load, even if just for a little while?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yes of course, when planning a rig you should always think worst case scenario, not something that's "just enough" 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If I remember correctly the recommended overheard per GPU was around 75 watts each but its been while so I may be wrong. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Depends on the psu. 

People tend to heavily overshoot for headroom anyway so I don't see much of an issue other than for the few who already know they're running on the tight side with a 450w. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Depends on the psu. 

People tend to heavily overshoot for headroom anyway so I don't see much of an issue other than for the few who already know they're running on the tight side with a 450w. 

The reason we do this is because PSUs usually last more than 1 build. Future proofing in a different sense I suppose.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yes of course, when planning a rig you should always think worst case scenario, not something that's "just enough" 

I don't see graphs like that for many video cards, just the average maximum power consumption when under load in Furmark or Afterburner or something.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

The reason we do this is because PSUs usually last more than 1 build. Future proofing in a different sense I suppose.

Of course. I was thinking the same thing with my EA-750 Green..

Boy, did I 'plan ahead'.. Components are veering towards lower power consumption. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't see graphs like that for many video cards, just the average maximum power consumption when under load in Furmark or Afterburner or something.

I don't see the big deal in buying headroom in power supplies anyways, it's only an extra few dollars and guarantees nearly anything you do to your rig will still work without any issues/ future upgrades.

I don't use anywhere near my 1000 watts on a daily basis, but when I heavily overclock I get dam close to it and I like to be prepared for that.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Boy, did I 'plan ahead'.. Components are veering towards lower power consumption. 

Think of it this way: It's moving closer to the PSU's best efficiency. Yay for saving a penny or two every month. :D

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Think of it this way: It's moving closer to the PSU's best efficiency. Yay for saving a penny or two every month. :D

Or it's an excuse to add more stuff to your PC and increase the awesome. :D

Seems to back up what Tom's saw, does this seem reasonable to anyone else?

The day Gold Efficiency becomes standard across all PSUs will be a good day :D

I believe I learned about that number from a old forum called Overclockersclub. It was a couple of years back, just some info stuck in the back of my head. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

All I can tell you is that my rig idles at 90-120w and runs at 350-400w while mining crypto currencies which is a primarily GPU heavy process (100% usage). I have a 290X and 3570k with little else to consume noticeable amounts of power. That was read with a kil-a-watt meter. 

I know that isn't exactly as scientific as this graph (I would love to know how to make one and get this kind of data for mine), but it's something.

So yeah, I think this is reasonable. 

† Christian Member †