Should I upgrade 980Ti to 6700XT now or wait?

maartendc

Hello all,

I'm currently using a 980Ti, using a 1440p / 60Hz monitor. So far it has been fine, I play mostly older or less demanding games Like Battlefield 1, Battlefield V, Verdun, Stray, etc. But lately I am having to turn down some games to medium settings to get 60fps (Isonzo, RDR2, Battlefield 2042), so it is getting time for an upgrade, but I am not in a rush.

I was looking at the 6700XT, delivering about twice the performance of my 980Ti, and the price seems OK around 420 EUR. I just want to be able to max everything out at 1440P / 60fps for a few years to come. Not necessarily interested in ray tracing.

I was waiting to see if prices were dropping, but the last gen seems to have stagnated. The current gen RTX 40 series or AMD 7000 series does not seem compelling. They offer more performance, but also at higher cost.

Is it wise at this point to buy a 6700XT, it feels like this card is quite old at this point? Or should I wait for the 7700XT or 4070 to come out? Do you expect they offer better value?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

Hello all,

I'm currently using a 980Ti, using a 1440p / 60Hz monitor. So far it has been fine, I play mostly older or less demanding games Like Battlefield 1, Battlefield V, Verdun, Stray, etc. But lately I am having to turn down some games to medium settings to get 60fps (Isonzo, RDR2, Battlefield 2042), so it is getting time for an upgrade, but I am not in a rush.

I was looking at the 6700XT, delivering about twice the performance of my 980Ti, and the price seems OK around 420 EUR. I just want to be able to max everything out at 1440P / 60fps for a few years to come. Not necessarily interested in ray tracing.

I was waiting to see if prices were dropping, but the last gen seems to have stagnated. The current gen RTX 40 series or AMD 7000 series does not seem compelling. They offer more performance, but also at higher cost.

Is it wise at this point to buy a 6700XT, it feels like this card is quite old at this point? Or should I wait for the 7700XT or 4070 to come out? Do you expect they offer better value?

Thanks!

4070 is probs gonna be overpriced but if you wanna wait for 7700 xt you can. 6700 xt seems like a good price now but if your alright with going used you could get an rx 6800 xt or 3080 for 450 euros

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I suggest you wait just a little longer as more GPU releases are to be expected. once AMD and Nvidea have their full release cycle complete with a short time before the next cycle the price wars should begin and then you could get lucky and pick up a decent card for the money.. Pity you did not pull the trigger a few months earlier though as many 3070 3080s etc were going for crazy dump prices to clear stocks with the release of the 4090.......

Anyways a couple more months and bargains will hopefully start popping up again.....after all summer will be upon us and sales slow down so prices often drop.

29 minutes ago, maartendc said:

But lately I am having to turn down some games to medium settings to get 60fps

I honestly think that low-medium is so acceptable in quality nowadays that high is just a waste of motion smoothness, but id definitely wait for the 4070 and 7700XT proper to come out and reviewed if you just want to have a better GPU, or even buy that 6700XT used.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

Hello all,

Thanks!

You can wait forever for new gen cards as there's always one around a corner 🙂

If you feel your gaming experience is underwhelming and you can afford a new GPU go for it!

But current best deal is RX6800 (non XT) at 550EUR, 25% faster than 6700XT and good for high FPS/Ultra 1440p 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

40 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

If you feel your gaming experience is underwhelming and you can afford a new GPU go for it!

But current best deal is RX6800 (non XT) at 550EUR, 25% faster than 6700XT and good for high FPS/Ultra 1440p 

from time to time you can get rx 6900 xt for 600 eur, it's biostar model but doesn't seem to be too bad

If you wanna spend around 400€ then buy a 6800(xt) used, they go for like 450€ on ebay

but if you dont mind waiting then i dont see why not wait for the 7700(xt), in the meantime you can use fsr or something

3 hours ago, filpo said:

4070 is probs gonna be overpriced but if you wanna wait for 7700 xt you can. 6700 xt seems like a good price now but if your alright with going used you could get an rx 6800 xt or 3080 for 450 euros

Thanks, Yeah, I will probably wait and see what the 7700xt and 4070 bring. The 4070 should be only a few weeks away if rumors are to be believed. 4070 will probably be overpriced at like 600-700. But if the performance is like a 3080ti, that's actually a "normal" price compared to current mid range prices and might be worth getting that over the current offerings .

3 hours ago, johnno23 said:

I suggest you wait just a little longer as more GPU releases are to be expected. once AMD and Nvidea have their full release cycle complete with a short time before the next cycle the price wars should begin and then you could get lucky and pick up a decent card for the money.. Pity you did not pull the trigger a few months earlier though as many 3070 3080s etc were going for crazy dump prices to clear stocks with the release of the 4090.......

Anyways a couple more months and bargains will hopefully start popping up again.....after all summer will be upon us and sales slow down so prices often drop.

Thanks, yeah it feels like I should probably wait and see.

I don't know, I never saw crazy deals on any 3070 or 3080s. I just saw them drop to near their MSRP from being super inflated. Then they just went out of stock.

3 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

I honestly think that low-medium is so acceptable in quality nowadays that high is just a waste of motion smoothness, but id definitely wait for the 4070 and 7700XT proper to come out and reviewed if you just want to have a better GPU, or even buy that 6700XT used.

Thank you, Thats true, and it is the reason I am not in any hurry to upgrade. I can honestly wait another generation, just shopping around to see whether its worth it right now.

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Thanks, yes I can easily wait as my current gaming is OK, and the current cards feel sooo old, it seems like better to wait. 

the RX6800 seems good, but I have a small form factor ITX case (Silverstone Sugo13), and I havent seen any models that would fit inside of it.

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If you wanna spend around 400€ then buy a 6800(xt) used, they go for like 450€ on ebay

but if you dont mind waiting then i dont see why not wait for the 7700(xt), in the meantime you can use fsr or something

Thanks, but I don't want to buy used because new products I can tax deduct as a business expense. That negates the cost benefit of buying used for me.

I just hope AMD doesn't jack up the prices for the 7000 series like Nvidia...

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

11 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Thanks, Yeah, I will probably wait and see what the 7700xt and 4070 bring. The 4070 should be only a few weeks away if rumors are to be believed. 4070 will probably be overpriced at like 600-700. But if the performance is like a 3080ti, that's actually a "normal" price compared to current mid range prices and might be worth getting that over the current offerings .

Thanks, yeah it feels like I should probably wait and see.

I don't know, I never saw crazy deals on any 3070 or 3080s. I just saw them drop to near their MSRP from being super inflated. Then they just went out of stock.

Thank you, Thats true, and it is the reason I am not in any hurry to upgrade. I can honestly wait another generation, just shopping around to see whether its worth it right now.

Thanks, yes I can easily wait as my current gaming is OK, and the current cards feel sooo old, it seems like better to wait. 

the RX6800 seems good, but I have a small form factor ITX case (Silverstone Sugo13), and I havent seen any models that would fit inside of it.

Thanks, but I don't want to buy used because new products I can tax deduct as a business expense. That negates the cost benefit of buying used for me.

I just hope AMD doesn't jack up the prices for the 7000 series like Nvidia...

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

With your Sugo case (266mm GPU clearance) you won't fit anything above a 6700XT, not sure you can even fit upcoming 7700XT or 4070 as new gen cards all are quite bigger (and cooler) than prev gen...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

The 980ti Is still relevant. I use a tesla M40 which has the same chip and for now I can even play Cyberpunk. All games run great on medium to high graphics, other than power draw I don't see any reason you would want to upgrade right now. Everything is overpriced and the scalping and overpricing tactics need a little bit more time to disappear. I say you should wait, Things are only going to get better if you wait another 6 months. 

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

600 bucks for a -70 class card? Nevertheless 700? its a far way away from 10 series pricing

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

3 hours ago, filpo said:

600 bucks for a -70 class card? Nevertheless 700? its a far way away from 10 series pricing

True, but Im afraid 10 series pricing aint never coming back.

We can only hope...

4 hours ago, RPK_R5 said:

The 980ti Is still relevant. I use a tesla M40 which has the same chip and for now I can even play Cyberpunk. All games run great on medium to high graphics, other than power draw I don't see any reason you would want to upgrade right now. Everything is overpriced and the scalping and overpricing tactics need a little bit more time to disappear. I say you should wait, Things are only going to get better if you wait another 6 months. 

Yes you are right its still a good card. Best card I ever bought really. It runs Cyberpunk at 1440p just fine. It runs pretty much anything current at 1440p medium settings. And older games at 1440p ultra.

Im just looking down the line and with games like Starfield on the horizon, I think its going to start to struggle. But you are correct, value is so bad right now, its been hard to find a compelling reason to upgrade.