Games really laggy and stuttering on Wi-Fi but working fine on Ethernet?

Lsat

I was trying to play some games on my laptop and the games were really laggy and stuttery, did most of the fixes I could find online, and when I tried to connect through Ethernet it fixed the problem. Although, it is not possible for me to put my set up where the Ethernet is. Is there anyway I can get normal performance (just zero stutter) with Wi-Fi? This is my internet speed: 272 Mbps Download, 16 ms. It has never given me any issues playing on console.

6 minutes ago, Lsat said:

I was trying to play some games on my laptop and the games were really laggy and stuttery, did most of the fixes I could find online, and when I tried to connect through Ethernet it fixed the problem. Although, it is not possible for me to put my set up where the Ethernet is. Is there anyway I can get normal performance (just zero stutter) with Wi-Fi? This is my internet speed: 272 Mbps Download, 16 ms. It has never given me any issues playing on console.

longer ethernet cord!!!!!! lol

6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What do you have for a wifi card on your PC?

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

1 minute ago, sixpi0dnine said:

longer ethernet cord!!!!!! lol

It is on the other side of the house basically in someone else’s room lol 

11 minutes ago, Lsat said:

It is on the other side of the house basically in someone else’s room lol 

you could use a device that plugs into power and turns into a Ethernet port (https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV600-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00AWRUICG)   Linus has a videos on these some are good some are not. but my buddy uses one of these and he said its a lot better than wireless because no matter what Ethernet for gaming will be better!

i would not get the one i linked i just did that so you can see what im talking about

also the distance could affect your lag on wireless

Does this apply to online games only or any game? Do you get good connection where you are on wifi?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Does this apply to online games only or any game? Do you get good connection where you are on wifi?

Online game only, my wifi is usually good

8 minutes ago, Lsat said:

Online game only, my wifi is usually good

Ok, I was just thinking a bad wifi connection could be part of this. So if you do a speedtest or similar you get good transfer rates and ping, no lost packets?

As a test, what it you moved closer to the access point but remain on wifi, does it get better?

There's always the usual "update drivers" but I don't expect it to make a difference.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible