7900 XT comparisons????

Paul17

I give up.   I can't find the info I am interested in.   I'm not even in the market for one of these but I am just curious.  😄

I looked on youtube and web searched for reviews - there's some specs comparisons one can do on Techpowerup but I was hoping to find a youtuber who compared a number of 7900 xt cards - and compared not just gaming but temps/acoustics/noise and coil whine (maybe sound meter to test or something?).   

For e.g., there's a few videos that compare 3060s, 3080s, 3090s - power limits, temps, power consumption, gaming benchmarks etc.

But, nothing for the 7900 xt/x cards.

I guess they're too new, still?   If you were gonna rank them for noise/coil whine noise - 'quietest' to loudest - how do you think it'd go?

I assume they are pretty close for gaming performance - right?   

Without knowing any tests or benchmarks - I was interested in:    powercolor hellhound, asrock phantom gaming, gigabyte oc, sapphire pulse, xfx merc310 (this one - was tested/reviewed by techpowerup - and it was loud - I would probably pass on this one) - any others?

The Asus one - reportedly has pretty loud coil whine.   The MSI Gaming X Trio (correct name?) - AIB board - the cooler might not be good enough for the card series?   There's not much info or reviews out for that one so far?   

Those are the cards that are in the lower price range - still too expensive for me but I'm just watching for updates on those cards.    Right now, my Asus 3080 Tuf is suitable so I'm mostly just curious.   

I guess gamers don't care about the noise too much?   But, temps, power consumption issues and coil whine are sometimes factors that determine whether someone returns their card?   It might bother some ppl?

I use my card for gaming, 3d/content creation and compute.

Thoughts?  

Just now, Paul17 said:

I give up.   I can't find the info I am interested in.   I'm not even in the market for one of these but I am just curious.  😄

I looked on youtube and web searched for reviews - there's some specs comparisons one can do on Techpowerup but I was hoping to find a youtuber who compared a number of 7900 xt cards - and compared not just gaming but temps/acoustics/noise and coil whine (maybe sound meter to test or something?).   

For e.g., there's a few videos that compare 3060s, 3080s, 3090s - power limits, temps, power consumption, gaming benchmarks etc.

I guess they're too new, still?   If you were gonna rank them for noise/coil whine noise - 'quietest' to loudest - how do you think it'd go?

Without knowing any tests or benchmarks - I was interested in:    powercolor hellhound, asrock phantom gaming, gigabyte oc, sapphire pulse, xfx merc310 (this one - was tested/reviewed by techpowerup - and it was loud - I would probably pass on this one) - any others?

The Asus one - reportedly has pretty loud coil whine.   The MSI Gaming Trio (correct name?) - AIB board - the cooler might not be good enough for the card series?   There's not much info or reviews out for that one so far?   

Those are the cards that are in the lower price range - still too expensive for me but I'm just watching for updates on those cards.    Right now, my Asus 3080 Tuf is suitable so I'm mostly just curious.   

I guess gamers don't care about the noise too much?   But, temps, power consumption issues and coil whine are sometimes factors that determine whether someone returns their card?   It might bother some ppl?

Thoughts?  

Coil-whine is pretty useless to test, it will vary Card to card. Even having the exact same items one card may have pretty bad coil whine whereas another has pretty much no coil-whine. Some cards may be more susceptible to coil-whine  from their  design.

The coolers are fine, MSI Gaming Trio is MORE then enough for that card. Its only the bare minimum cheap coolers that generally have issues, Gaming trio is not their bare minimum  spec, thats usually Ventus or Duke.

They perform all the same pretty much. The only one that kind of goes beyond that right now is the Red Devil, they have done some things to make their cards go a bit faster, but one is a MUCH more expensive water cooled version.

If you use your card for 3d / content creation, stay with Nvidia. AMD cards often are much worse in that regard sadly. Some programs arent so bad, but a lot are, comes down to what program.

7 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

The Asus one - reportedly has pretty loud coil whine.   The MSI Gaming X Trio (correct name?) - AIB board - the cooler might not be good enough for the card series?   There's not much info or reviews out for that one so far?   

Thoughts?  

Coil whine can't really be tested

Regarding 7900XTX TPU has 3 or 4 reviews, but mostly on hi end cards (Red Devil, ASUS TUF, XFX Merc...the ASUS being the best, the Red Devil second)

Didn't look for 7900XT which is just not a good option vs a XTX

Low end cards tend to work like reference models and there's not much more to review...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Coil-whine is pretty useless to test, it will vary Card to card. Even having the exact same items one card may have pretty bad coil whine whereas another has pretty much no coil-whine. Some cards may be more susceptible to coil-whine  from their  design.

The coolers are fine, MSI Gaming Trio is MORE then enough for that card. Its only the bare minimum cheap coolers that generally have issues, Gaming trio is not their bare minimum  spec, thats usually Ventus or Duke.

They perform all the same pretty much. The only one that kind of goes beyond that right now is the Red Devil, they have done some things to make their cards go a bit faster, but one is a MUCH more expensive water cooled version.

If you use your card for 3d / content creation, stay with Nvidia. AMD cards often are much worse in that regard sadly. Some programs arent so bad, but a lot are, comes down to what program.

Oh right, good points about the coil whine.  I probably shouldn't have concentrated on that so much or made it much of a big deal.   

The Red Devil will be too expensive - and even if other cards/brands/models ever go down in price, I bet that one won't be included (it's one of the more expensive ones now - along with the Tuf card) so I wasn't even looking/thinking about that one.

Supposedly, AMD is working on improving compute - is working with Blender and video editing software suites - etc. etc. - but, it remains to be seen how much the improvement is - and how it stacks up to current Nvidia performance.   I will also use Linux - so it would be preferable to get an AMD card.   I just upgraded - I sold my 3060 and decided to stay with Nvidia for the same reasons you made.

I was considering a 6900 xt (used) - around the same price usually - as I paid for the 3080 - and wanted to pull the trigger but its performance in 3d/content creation/compute was really wanting - in most benchmarks - and I decided to stay with the Nvidia reliability.   Although, I might regret it if I do a lot of stuff in Linux.    I have used Nvidia cards in Linux, before, though, so I know what to expect.   I would have liked to try a switch, though.

Thanks for your reply!

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Coil whine can't really be tested

Regarding 7900XTX TPU has 3 or 4 reviews, but mostly on hi end cards (Red Devil, ASUS TUF, XFX Merc...the ASUS being the best, the Red Devil second)

Didn't look for 7900XT which is just not a good option vs a XTX

Low end cards tend to work like reference models and there's not much more to review...

In the USA, XTX cards are maybe $100 more than XT cards?   Well, in other countries, it's anywhere between $200-$500.   Here, the difference is around $200.  

31 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

Thoughts?  

The only way to guarantee you don't hear coil whine is to either increase distance or material between you and the card to the point where you can't hear it.

Pro gamer move is to just have tinnitus, then you can't hear it as well even if it is noticeable 🙂

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

25 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

In the USA, XTX cards are maybe $100 more than XT cards?   Well, in other countries, it's anywhere between $200-$500.   Here, the difference is around $200.  

I was talking about MSRP indeed

7900XT being overpriced they tend to sell for less, whereas 7900XTX sell for a bit more, so here in Europe it's a 200EUR+ difference as well

Weirdly 4080 are now quite below MSRP here (note EU price include 20%VAT)  and very close to the price of 7900XTX (1250EUR to 1180) making them a "near good" choice now... 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts or comparisons on MSI Trio 7900 XT vs XFX 7900 XT Black vs Sapphire Pulse 7900 XT?   Which would you get if they were around the same price?   

PC Case can fit any of them.   PSU is Corsair RM850x - so it's sufficient...or should be.    Just comparing cards - with price being pretty close among them.