Newer Minecraft versions stuttering every once in a while with fairly high end PC

Rasp14

I have a fairly high end pc, but I get tons of lag spikes as well as slow loading times in newer versions (1.16 and up, maybe 1.15 I havnt tried) of Minecraft. This mostly happens in multiplayer, but occasionally happens in singleplayer.

Also, idk if this is related, but when I play it in maximized windowed mode, it has a hard cap at 163 fps, but when I play it like in a window (idk what thats called) the cap goes away, and I get almost 1000 fps. It's not my hardware, because even in maximized mode, the cpu/gpu utilization is always under 50%.

Anyway, I use Lunar Client, but found that vanilla also has the lag spikes. Here are some things I have tried:

• Reinstalling Minecraft

• switching from optifine to vanilla

• going into task manager and setting minecraft to high priority

• going into windows graphics settings and setting minecraft to high performance

• going into nvidia control panel and setting minecraft to high performance

• setting minecraft's fps cap to down to 50

• allocating up to 12 gigs of ram to minecraft

• turned render distance to 2

If you know anything about why this happens or how to fix this, please tell me. It probably isnt a network issue because it doesn't happen in 1.8. Also, my gpu/cpu usage is usually at 20% according to nvidia performance overlay

I've heard and learned many things about Minecraft at this point in my life, so hopefully I can help a bit. Minecraft and Java are both very sensitive to RAM. If you're having trouble with vanilla singleplayer, chances are increasing your RAM to 12GB is gonna make it worse. Try monitoring your RAM usage without the RAM flag first. My latest release consumes 2GB of RAM in a vanilla world. Only with mods do you need to increase it to such amounts as 12GB. If RAM isn't the problem, likely another piece of hardware is malfunctioning. Please use Task Manager to watch all hardware as well. If none of the hardware is posting unreasonable performance, please uninstall all of Minecraft and Java. Including deleting their respective %appdata% and C:\Program Files\Java directories in addition. Then install vanilla minecraft (from mojang.com) and run it (installing the version of Java it links too), if you want the current MC version. If you want a different version, or a modded one, let me know and I will help you launch it.

Also download MalwareBytes from Malwarebytes.com     Run the free trial version (no credit card required) and scan your system, Malware is the easiest suspect of such behavior.

27 minutes ago, vinbullet said:

Also download MalwareBytes from Malwarebytes.com     Run the free trial version (no credit card required) and scan your system, Malware is the easiest suspect of such behavior.

Hey, thank you so much for your help! I did the MalwareBytes scan and reinstalled minecraft and java, but the lag spikes are still present. I tried using only 3 gigs of dedicated ram, and it still had lag spikes. I dont have any background tasks or other apps that utilize lots of resources, and my minecraft is only using 20% gpu/cpu power while capped at 163fps(which I dont know how to uncap (it's on unlimited in the graphics settings in minecraft))

Does your task manager show no 100% components? If ur gettings 163FPS you're doing OK. Does Singleplayer run smoothly (smoothly being defined as 60FPS)

ALT+Z will show the FPS in the top-right corner on Nvidia cards

Just now, vinbullet said:

Does your task manager show no 100% components? If ur gettings 163FPS you're doing OK. Does Singleplayer run smoothly (smoothly being defined as 60FPS)

oh sorry to clarify, it is capped at 163, and gets 163 a lot, but it has TONS of stuttering, and drops to like 5fps sometimes

Use ALT+Z to activate Nvidia FPS Stats if you have GeForce Experience

And just to clarify you are using the installer and Java version reccomended from mojang.com to run vanilla minecraft?