Suggestion

Yaniv Akrish

I want to suggest a free tier to the floatplane channel, that will offer the same access to videos as the YouTube channel, and will function as a temporary replacement for the YouTube channel, in the event whene the main YouTube channel will be inaccessible due to any specific circumstances, like the recent one were the main Youtube channel plus the two sister channels got hacked, wich made there videos inaccessible to the avrage viewer who can't pay for the paid floatplane subscriptions, but still wants to watch there videos, wich this free tier will address.

never going to happen. it is against what they are trying to do with floatplane. there free float plane tear is at the moment youtube and considering that there channel was down for less then 24 houres once in a blue moon i think we can live with it

Aside of what Floatplanes purpose is, this would also not be possible from a technical side, if you had a free tier on floatplane, the influx of new users would most likely overwhelm their servers and bring the platform down.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am sure the team at LMG is working on improving their infrastructure. Please understand, Float is meant as a subscription platform for early access to the channel material. If FP opened a free tier it would there-in be a direct competitor to YT and LMG would prefer not to have that.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

46 minutes ago, Yaniv Akrish said:

I want to suggest a free tier to the floatplane channel, that will offer the same access to videos as the YouTube channel, and will function as a temporary replacement for the YouTube channel, in the event whene the main YouTube channel will be inaccessible due to any specific circumstances, like the recent one were the main Youtube channel plus the two sister channels got hacked, wich made there videos inaccessible to the avrage viewer who can't pay for the paid floatplane subscriptions, but still wants to watch there videos, wich this free tier will address.

If youtube gets hacked, you can always watch it on bilibili.

8 hours ago, Yaniv Akrish said:

the recent one were the main Youtube channel plus the two sister channels got hacked, wich made there videos inaccessible to the avrage viewer

You... don't need to summarize and explain something that happened a couple days ago and everyone here is fully aware of.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Things can only be free to view on Youtube thanks to Google being a giant advertising company. There's no way LMG could suddenly match the advertising contracts Google has to allow for that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I can see free preview being a thing. But not as you probably would like. Since for the majority of the content, other platforms exist, and it's unlikely they all would go down at the same time. So having all content available without any profit methods would be net loss after networking/running costs are calculated. No business will take long term net loss as something they will think beyond.

What I can see is gathering maybe 10 videos that are available for viewing for free. So you can test the features before subscribing. Ofc they would be old videos, but still.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv