Reference AMD RX 6950 XT with a Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold

Hi,

I currently run a R5 5600x, GTX1660Ti, 32GB, Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold, gigabyte b550 gaming x v2. And I'm looking for a GPU upgrade.

My current 1660ti is getting about 100fps in CS2 (high), 15 in KSP2 (at low), 70 in FH5 (medium) all at 1440p.

I was thinking about the 3070ti, which I can get for €599. But I then found the Reference RX6950xt for €699, which is €100 more for a lot more performance.

The thing is that I found some posts saying the reference card and it's cooler isn't good. Besides that I have a 650w PSU, is that even enough?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Martijn_Schuman said:

Hi,

I currently run a R5 5600x, GTX1660Ti, 32GB, Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold, gigabyte b550 gaming x v2. And I'm looking for a GPU upgrade.

My current 1660ti is getting about 100fps in CS2 (high), 15 in KSP2 (at low), 70 in FH5 (medium) all at 1440p.

I was thinking about the 3070ti, which I can get for €599. But I then found the Reference RX6950xt for €699, which is €100 more for a lot more performance.

The thing is that I found some posts saying the reference card and it's cooler isn't good. Besides that I have a 650w PSU, is that even enough?

Thanks

it should be alright (check the ss below for your total system power draw) Also there should be AIB cards for that price bc thats what i foundimage.thumb.png.a944d30109c3c3745a8b823f06ed1018.png

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

The cooler is ass-doodoo, but it works.  The 6900xt is a WAY better GPU, so do what you can to try and find ANY other version of it.  The 650w is pushing it, bu tthe seasonic focus are well-made PSUs.  HOWEVER, the focus plus (if it's like a 2018 model) has issues with handling transient spikes.  I sent my focus plus plat back to seasonic and they sent me a focus PX.  You should probably do the same if you run into any issues.  They do an advanced warranty replacement, where you fill out the RMA, sent them $65, and they send you a new PSU.  Once they receive your defective unit, you get your money back.

You should be fine on wattage, I would undervolt for some breathing room, and because it just works better anyway.  Don't OC your CPU.  Hell, if you had the 5600 instead of the X you'd have given yourself more breathing room, and identical performance FAIAP (while saving money, why does anyone buy the X variant?).

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

12 minutes ago, Martijn_Schuman said:

But I then found the Reference RX6950xt for €699, which is €100 more for a lot more performance.

The 7000 series reference is the one you wanna avoid. Its fine, just keep transient in mind as @Queen Chrysalis says.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

The 6950xt reference cooler is alright nothing special.

Get it worst case your psu gets upset and shuts down safely. But realistically it should be fine just dont oc and use as many separate pcie cables for the card as you can.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

The 7000 series reference is the one you wanna avoid. Its fine, just keep transient in mind as @Queen Chrysalis says.

There was 1 broken batch if you dont have one of those the stock cooler is actually pretty decent.

I got freezes and reboots sometimes while gaming with my 6900xt and a RMX 650. Upgraded to RMX 850 and no issue since. Probably due to transient spikes.

Thanks for the responce guys!

I ordered the 6950xt, should be arriving on tuesday. For now I'm staying with the 650w, will see how it handels the new card.