Cmos error

Struckpython945

I got a message the other day saying I have a CMOS error so I researched how to remove and replace it but i couldn't find it. Now my screen is black and the error won't come up anymore. The power comes on but no fans or anything runs. For reference I am using a hp pavilion laptop and it turns out the cmos isn't on the motherboard and instead the battery pack is used to run and supply the bios with power. So I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix a cmos error if the cmos is in the battery.

CMOS isn't a battery. A battery is used to maintain some functions even when the power is down. Like the clock.

There's something wrong in your question.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

29 minutes ago, Struckpython945 said:

I got a message the other day saying I have a CMOS error so I researched how to remove and replace it but i couldn't find it.

The CMOS contains the computer's UEFI (or BIOS). It is not intended to be removed or replaced. While you can update your BIOS, this process does not require any mechanical replacement of parts.

I assume you're talking about the CMOS battery, which is related, but still a separate part. The battery is used to ensure the CMOS does not lose its contents when the computer is powered off.

Now my screen is black and the error won't come up anymore. The power comes on but no fans or anything runs.

What did you do, exactly?

For reference I am using a hp pavilion laptop and it turns out the cmos isn't on the motherboard and instead the battery pack is used to run and supply the bios with power.

CMOS and its battery are not the same.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix a cmos error if the cmos is in the battery.

The CMOS is not in the battery. The battery is used to power the CMOS, but the CMOS itself is on the motherboard. Which error did you get exactly? Is it complaining about a dead CMOS battery, or a corrupted CMOS?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

30 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The CMOS contains the computer's UEFI (or BIOS). It is not intended to be removed or replaced. While you can update your BIOS, this process does not require any mechanical replacement of parts.

I assume you're talking about the CMOS battery, which is related, but still a separate part. The battery is used to ensure the CMOS does not lose its contents when the computer is powered off.

What did you do, exactly?

CMOS and its battery are not the same.

The CMOS is not in the battery. The battery is used to power the CMOS, but the CMOS itself is on the motherboard. Which error did you get exactly? Is it complaining about a dead CMOS battery, or a corrupted CMOS?

I got a cmos checksum error so I tried turning off my laptop and turning it back on again but when I tried turning it back on nothing came up. I couldn't open the bios or reboot or anything like that. The laptop still powers on but everything is dark and silent

5 minutes ago, Struckpython945 said:

I got a cmos checksum error so I tried turning off my laptop and turning it back on again but when I tried turning it back on nothing came up. I couldn't open the bios or reboot or anything like that. The laptop still powers on but everything is dark and silent

Sounds like the CMOS might be corrupted. There are some troubleshooting steps from HP you could try: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/ish_3932413-2337994-16

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply