0-Day: aCROPalypse on Pixel and Windows devices.

Dygear

Summary

Cropping images on Windows and pixel devices will sometimes save the uncropped image, or remove other edits made to that image file. For sites that recompress the image, this is sometimes compresses away the crop part of the file, or makes it harder to read. But if sites do not re-compress the files that are uploaded to them then the uncropped area is available to see still. This effects Google's built in image editing tool on the Google Pixel, and also happens on Windows 11 with the Windows Snipping Tool.

Quotes

From Twitter: @ItsSimonTime Markup, enabling partial recovery of the original, unedited image data of a cropped and/or redacted screenshot.

My thoughts

Something like this happened back in ~2006 with a host from Call For Help on TechTV. Where a host of the show saved a picture of herself but the Photoshop PSD file saved the original thumbnail for the image. Unfortunately she distributed the file as part of a show segment not realize the meta data thumbnail was of the original picture.

Sources

-- Mark Tomlin

Already posted a few days go, please use the existing thread:

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2