bigger or smaller Motherboard?

would it be better for me to upgrade to an atx or micro atx motherboard? (Sorry, I forgot to give reasons for asking) I have a motherboard that is not fully compatible with my rx 6400 amd gpu (though this doesn't entirely matter in this question) and want to know if I should upgrade to an atx or micro atx (It isn't out of personal preference, since I have a mid tower, and is mostly for most "effective" at keeping cool and all that) and, while I want to spend as low as effectively possible, is most worth it in general. for ram I could just carry it over and I have a 3 3600 ryzen cpu that will be replaced with a 5 3600 along with the purchase of the new motherboard.

Edited by Michae1_
I didn't give enough description (edited, like, 7 times)

We need more info. What board are you currently running, what CPU are you currently running, what CPU are you going to be running, what boards specifically are you looking at. The motherboard's size really isn't all that important, there are some mATX boards that are amazing (the X670E Crosshair Gene is arguably the best AM5 motherboard, for instance), and there are some mATX boards that suck, same with ATX motherboards. Without knowing anything else there's no possible way that any of us could give a well reasons answer. 

22 minutes ago, Michae1_ said:

would it be better for me to upgrade to an atx or micro atx motherboard? (Sorry, I forgot to give reasons for asking) I have a motherboard that is not fully compatible with my rx 6400 amd gpu and want to know if I should upgrade to an atx or micro atx (It isn't out of personal preference, since I have a mid tower, and mostly for most "effective")

it doesn't really matter for the 6400 if the size is big or small but gen 4 over gen 3 is a huge difference on the rx 6400. just watch this vid by RandomGamingInHD to get a sense of that 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

25 minutes ago, filpo said:

it doesn't really matter for the 6400 if the size is big or small but gen 4 over gen 3 is a huge difference on the rx 6400. just watch this vid by RandomGamingInHD to get a sense of that 

yeah, I watched this video when buying my gpu (mostly because it had rdr2 gameplay statistics) and already knew that my gpu wouldn't be completely compatible; it didn't bother me much. i'm mostly just curious if there would be any difference between the effectiveness of atx and micro atx when it comes to heavy(er) loads, and how, if at all, they could handle any distributed heat. I also bought the xfx model, though it probably wasn't the best option (the fan is small), so whether it fits isn't an important factor either.

Depends on features and how many expansion slots you need now or later.

Also depends on you current and future case sizes 

May main rig has an ATX case. But that hardware will at some point move into living rooms in smaller cases. So it needs to be mATX. I also don't use dGPU. So mATX gives me all future expansion slots I probably never need. You see, this is very personal and really depends on YOUR needs. YMMV as they say.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

34 minutes ago, Michae1_ said:

yeah, I watched this video when buying my gpu (mostly because it had rdr2 gameplay statistics) and already knew that my gpu wouldn't be completely compatible; it didn't bother me much. i'm mostly just curious if there would be any difference between the effectiveness of atx and micro atx when it comes to heavy(er) loads, and how, if at all, they could handle any distributed heat. I also bought the xfx model, though it probably wasn't the best option (the fan is small), so whether it fits isn't an important factor either.

performance wouldn't be affected whatsoever if its the same mobo with the same power delievery and vrms

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)