GPU not booting with pcie riser cable

KJaboski

Hi all

Looking to pick your brains because I have an issue after switching to a new card with pcie riser cable. I used a gtx1080 with this corsair riser on x570 motherboard with no issues but when switching to rtx 3080 it just doesn't boot and hangs on a vga fault on motherboard. However without the riser it boots fine. Now I understand that I should look for and change the pcie gen setting in the bios to pcie3 since I think the riser is older then pcie4 but everytime I do that it just hangs on boot again and the board resets CMOS due to boot looping.

Think I should just ditch this riser and get a proper certified pcie4 one or maybe there is something I can do in bios?

Thanks

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

The performance diff from PCIE 3 to 4 isn't huge for a GPU, but there's no reason to hamstring your card by limiting it to 3.

I suspect that's also part of the issue, mobos get picky with riser cables, and it's sometimes just trial and error. 

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

The performance diff from PCIE 3 to 4 isn't huge for a GPU, but there's no reason to hamstring your card by limiting it to 3.

I suspect that's also part of the issue, mobos get picky with riser cables, and it's sometimes just trial and error. 

I was think I should just bite the bullet and spend that little more on a newer riser. I just remembered it being mentioned a few times even on LLT's videos that they had a similar problem and changing the pcie setting in the bios would fix it, at least as a quick fix for time being.

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

yeah, setting it to 3 in BIOS can help, but sometimes it just wants to be cranky. 

I see, guess that's the case for my mobo then. Thank you.

Can confirm, for anyone looking at similar issue. PCIE4 riser cable does not experience the same problem.