Hey yall, I'm a noob here. I am steadily saving up for the 5800x3d after being recommended this CPU for my MOBO as they said it is arguably the best  CPU for the AM4 platform

However, one thing that I forgot to consider: I was recommended the 5800x3d cuz it was the best GAMING CPU

I only game somewhat occasionally (tho at high settings) and equally spend as much time in programs like sony vegas and Clip Studio Paint EX.

I looked a bit around and someone said that the 5800x was more the versatile one.

If my current CPU rn is the Ryzen 5 2600, which would you recommend? Would the productivity performance difference be significant between 5800x or 5800x3d? Or would the difference between them be negligible relative to the sheer jump in performance im making from my 2600?

Full Spec Breakdown:

ASUS PRIME B450M-A

RTX 2060

Ryzen 5 2600

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650W 80+ Gold 

G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600

In games the 5800X3D is considerably faster, but a tiny bit slower for productivity.  Both are a huge jump from a R5 2600.

2 minutes ago, si1enze said:

In games the 5800X3D is considerably faster, but a tiny bit slower for productivity.  Both are a huge jump from a R5 2600.

prettty much. If OP is thinking of purchasing 5800X, consider the cheaper 5700X instead. Its pretty much just a clocked down 5800X that runs cooler.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

prettty much. If OP is thinking of purchasing 5800X, consider the cheaper 5700X instead. Its pretty much just a clocked down 5800X that runs cooler.

5800X is a hot one.  I limit mine to 120W with a single-fan D15..

11 minutes ago, si1enze said:

5800X is a hot one.  I limit mine to 120W with a single-fan D15..

16 minutes ago, si1enze said:

13 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

thank yall for the responses!!

I will consider either the 5800x3d or the 5700x then

I guess another question I did have tho is how is the combo with the MOBO (for either the x3d or the 5700x) in terms of the VRMs on said mobo? I hear the b450m-a is kinda eh tier when it comes to that, not to mention i dont even think it comes with a heat sink

6 minutes ago, eye_moisturizer said:

I guess another question I did have tho is how is the combo with the MOBO (for either the x3d or the 5700x) in terms of the VRMs on said mobo? I hear the b450m-a is kinda eh tier when it comes to that, not to mention i dont even think it comes with a heat sink

Yeesh.. yeah uh, point a fan at the VRM and it'll be fine. Not going to be breaking any y-cruncher records with that board, however. ImMlb2x6hfHbMQrR_setting_xxx_0_90_end_1000.png

@eye_moisturizerI would upgrade motherboards before doing the CPU...  there isn't even any heatsink on the vrm of that one..

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

@eye_moisturizerI would upgrade motherboards before doing the CPU...  there isn't even any heatsink on the vrm of that one..

fair enough too 

is there something you would recommend within the am4 platform? 

A fan blowing at the VRM might be fine but dang, the 5800x is a power sink.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

15 minutes ago, eye_moisturizer said:

5700X would be fine unmodified, but on 5800X3D you might need to undervolt and maybe also considering to actively cool the VRM if your ambient is high.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yeesh.. yeah uh, point a fan at the VRM and it'll be fine. Not going to be breaking any y-cruncher records with that board, however. ImMlb2x6hfHbMQrR_setting_xxx_0_90_end_1000.png

lol fair enough. For the record, assuming i went with the 5800x or 5700x (or any other for that matter) i wouldnt be overclocking anyway. And since 5800x3d was in my sights anyway, it wouldnt be able to overclock anyway. Not to mention i would likely get a nice dual tower cooler or even an AIO. Any recommended setups for fans then? As in stuff that would be good airflow that catches the heat of the VRMs as well?

4 minutes ago, eye_moisturizer said:

fair enough too 

is there something you would recommend within the am4 platform? 

B550 or X570 from the brand you like, that has the features that you need.

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

B550 or X570 from the brand you like, that has the features that you need.

way too vague, a lot of B550 boards are still shit for 5800X3D. And besides, at that point it no longer make sense, because if you have to replace the platform anyway, id just consider jumping to 13600K with the RAM that OP already have, or waiting for 7800X3D and hop to DDR5.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

way too vague, a lot of B550 boards are still shit for 5800X3D. And besides, at that point it no longer make sense, because if you have to replace the platform anyway, id just consider jumping to 13600K with the RAM that OP already have, or waiting for 7800X3D and hop to DDR5.

I can't disagree with that considering the R5 2600.. that is definitely something to consider. @eye_moisturizer

10 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Upgrading the board is just pointless if you are sticking to am4

May aswell go straight to a b660/z690 + 13600k rather than sticking with a 5800x3d thatll lose in anything other than gaming and power efficiency and even then in most games it wont be that far ahead and you can tune intel for efficiency if you want

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

5700X would be fine unmodified, but on 5800X3D you might need to undervolt and maybe also considering to actively cool the VRM if your ambient is high.

ah i see. I will write all this stuff down too im learning alot thanks to yall

So far im getting a route where i go 5700x unmodified (besides an obvious cooler upgrade from the stock).

5800x would technically give the better productivity performance but not by much, and even tho it's cheaper it runs hotter and is a power sink (from what ive gathered) and thus is a no go.

The 2nd route would be: 5800x3d seems to be the best bet besides 5700x, but provided I actively cool the VRMs assuming i keep the same MOBO.

The last route im gathering is that I just get a better MOBO that suits the needs much better, and thus more comfortably accommodate the 5800x3d (or 5700x) and have better VRMs and cooling

Just now, eye_moisturizer said:

The last route im gathering is that I just get a better MOBO that suits the needs much better, and thus more comfortably accommodate the 5800x3d (or 5700x) and have better VRMs and cooling

Last route is ditching am4 for a 13600k + b660/z690

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

this as well, your reply came after i wrote my older reply lel

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Upgrading the board is just pointless if you are sticking to am4

May aswell go straight to a b660/z690 + 13600k rather than sticking with a 5800x3d thatll lose in anything other than gaming and power efficiency and even then in most games it wont be that far ahead and you can tune intel for efficiency if you want

There is the cost to consider... 

1 minute ago, eye_moisturizer said:

Yeah and there's a reason on why id advice against it, same with @Somerandomtechyboi. It just doesnt make sense to invest more when, as much as it performs stellarly now, its fundamentally an EOL platform.

Just now, si1enze said:

that too lol. Hence why I was just considering doing a CPU upgrade (and appropriate PSU and cooling, psu has been upgraded already tho)

The whole point was to be like "oh hey it turns out this free pre-built i got from a relative has more potential than i realized, how can I squeeze some extra life out of it?"

It's not TOTALLY necessary but has been on my mind for a bit and now im startin to gather those resources and also research more, and yall have helped btw

15 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Yeah and there's a reason on why id advice against it, same with @Somerandomtechyboi. It just doesnt make sense to invest more when, as much as it performs stellarly now, its fundamentally an EOL platform.

16 minutes ago, si1enze said:

17 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

thank yall again for the help

seems i should think more on this. As stated before it was mainly just to squeeze the last bit of life out of this old am4 board and also cuz I heard insanely positive reviews about the 5800x3d (and also just the am4 platform as a whole). The other reason was that others told me to hold off on AM5 as they seem to be expensive according to them

The last reason is that the stuff I use often (besides gaming) is productivity stuff like video editing software (sony vegas) and art programs (CSP, Krita, etc) and I figured CPU bound programs would benefit from a large cpu jump

34 minutes ago, eye_moisturizer said:

The other reason was that others told me to hold off on AM5 as they seem to be expensive according to them

Its nothing like it was at launch 5 months ago. That "AM5 is too expensive" sentiment is dying very quickly. 

Live near a Microcenter and the bundle deals are amazing. 

image.thumb.png.e745ca5a0719268a40a82030ef2235a9.png

image.thumb.png.e355b05c87e391810fd917391f479844.png

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Its nothing like it was at launch 5 months ago. That "AM5 is too expensive" sentiment is dying very quickly. 

that is both good and bad (not really lol, that just means i gotta do some more research on what to get next)

welp at the very least ill be saving for SOMETHING, whether that be for a 5800x3d for the more immediate gains with the knowledge that its an EOL product, on an EOL board/platform, or for a group of things thatll be more expensive yet will at least keep me on a newer platform (whether that be am5 or intel) and give me more wiggle room

X3D is an easy CPU to drive. Its even easier than a 5800X because it is limited in clock speed. No need to fuss about vrms.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's