Trying to figure out how much SSD M.2 I can get and which ones

So I currently have this motherboard Z590 AORUS PRO AX, and I have 500 gb M.2 in storage. I'd like to upgrade to a minimum 4tb SSD. I'm new to PC stuff. My computer was made by a guy at a PC shop in my home town an hour and a half away. I'd like to start upgrading my PC myself to not deal with the hassle of bringing my PC all over the place. Upgrading my storage seems really simple to start, but I'm confused on how to tell what storage I can get, and how many slots I can actually use.  The storage they recommended I get is SSD, 4TB M.2 NVME PCI-E G4 HIGH PERFORMANCE, but they are charging a bit more then I want to install it. 

My other dilemma is I want to upgrade to 12th gen Intel CPU, as it runs Unreal Engine 5, and Maya soooo much better for rendering. And as far as I can tell those are not compatible with this motherboard. Is it better to upgrade my motherboard and CPU first, then storage to make sure it is all compatible? What are good recommendations for a new motherboard if this is the case?

I need to be able to run large Unreal files, and Maya files. As well as a lot of various heavy Adobe files, and then I'd like my games to run well as well so I can relax after work. 

My current setup:

Z590 AORUS PRO AX

11th gen Intel 17-11700k

32 GB ram

RTX 3080 Ti

850 power supply

problem is the cap on nvme drives right now is 2TB. the jump to 4TB goes hard with 3x the price. 
I'd recommend just buying a 2TB and worrying about upgrading in the future. 

1 minute ago, OhYou_ said:

problem is the cap on nvme drives right now is 2TB. the jump to 4TB goes hard with 3x the price. 
I'd recommend just buying a 2TB and worrying about upgrading in the future. 

He could just buy 2 of them, for about 200 USD, which is a fair price for 4TB of SSD

3 minutes ago, FlamingPCs said:

He could just buy 2 of them, for about 200 USD, which is a fair price for 4TB of SSD

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/kingston-nv2-ssd rather bleh SSDs, the only positive is they're dirt cheap. 

OP, wait for these to come back in stock: https://www.newegg.com/team-group-4tb-mp34/p/N82E16820331702. $249 for 4TB, okay speeds, massive TBW limit and 5 year warranty. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch