Physical security/Kensington locks?

syranis

I have 3 workstations that I need to secure physically.  Looks like there aren't any ATX cases (or any cases, for that matter) that have Kensington lock support these days.

So far, I'm looking at using LINDY Security Screws to secure the components and simply a bike lock looped around the case a bit, but I was wondering if anyone has any other solutions that might work.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Prey? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

what exactly is the threat you're protecting against?

are the computers in a secure area, but might go unsupervised for long enough that someone could interfere with the hardware?

are you protecting against people stealing them?

something else?

i'll add a quote from someone who i met a long time ago that did the IT supplies for shows and events: "i've yet to see someone beat a big chain and a good padlock"

also - if this is a long term "problem" it might be worth looking into some form of secure enclosure to put the computer inside of (a custom made "desk", a cage, etc.)

Ahh, my fault for not being more specific.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

are the computers in a secure area, but might go unsupervised for long enough that someone could interfere with the hardware?

The computers are in a room that is usually locked, but it is still a semi-public university club room, so quite a few people have access.  They are editing workstations, so they are both expensive (upwards of 5k CAD) and used by a lot of people, as we have quite a few editors and general members that are allowed to use them.

Essentially, yes.

i'll add a quote from someone who i met a long time ago that did the IT supplies for shows and events: "i've yet to see someone beat a big chain and a good padlock"

If that's enough, I'll just be going with the LINDY screws and a bike lock.

also - if this is a long term "problem" it might be worth looking into some form of secure enclosure to put the computer inside of (a custom made "desk", a cage, etc.)

This is interesting, I'll have to look into it.  Something like this seems to be a good option, but I'm scared it might interfere with cooling - the workstations each have a 7950x and 7900 XTX with NH-U14S and 5 NF-A14 case fans (3 intake).  Do you think that the cooling could be an issue like this?

2 hours ago, syranis said:

Ahh, my fault for not being more specific.

The computers are in a room that is usually locked, but it is still a semi-public university club room, so quite a few people have access.  They are editing workstations, so they are both expensive (upwards of 5k CAD) and used by a lot of people, as we have quite a few editors and general members that are allowed to use them.

Essentially, yes.

If that's enough, I'll just be going with the LINDY screws and a bike lock.

This is interesting, I'll have to look into it.  Something like this seems to be a good option, but I'm scared it might interfere with cooling - the workstations each have a 7950x and 7900 XTX with NH-U14S and 5 NF-A14 case fans (3 intake).  Do you think that the cooling could be an issue like this?

i'm basicly thinking the way arcade cabinets do things. because, spoilers, these days they just have a pc sitting inside.

but for the scope of a university computer room, i'm more thinking 'deterrant' - as in, dont have thumb screws or anything of that nature exposed, perhaps run one of those wimpy luggage locks trough one of the holes on the side panel, and have the computer tied to the desk with a similar lock.

as long as you arent in some poverty/crime hotspot that should be enough.

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

what exactly is the threat you're protecting against?

something else?

But most thimk a cheap masterlock is a great idea.When they are the easiest thing to pick open.

12 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

But most thimk a cheap masterlock is a great idea.When they are the easiest thing to pick open.

two things.

1: a good padlock

2: threat profiling. do you expect the target audience to bring lockpicks or a hacksaw? or would the target audience be deterred by the very existance of a lock?

What @manikyath said, plus a well placed camera.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Id say something like a dog cage, or heavier.... your choice :), around each tower, pad locked and chained to the concrete with eyed lag bolt maybe. That way its a deterrent pita and of course youll have them on camera anyway but the longer you make them sit there and fight with it, the better the chance they run without it or someone catches them. Either way, they lose. Its all about making it hard and take time, frustrate them cause as we all know, if someone really wants something they ARE going to get it. Lets not make it a cake walk for them though, right?!?