Graphics card not letting my computer power on...

Jeb_dollar

Hello to whom this may concern, 

I have a 2070 that isn't letting my computer power on, as soon as I replace the GPU the computer powers on. 

I've tried that same 2070 on 3 different computers with no success. 

My friend gave me the gpu, I'm sure it'll need to be repaired some how. I was just seeking guidance on if it's worth fixing or what parts I need to buy. 

My friend told he replaced the ram on the computer while it was still on and after that he fried his computer and had to rebuild. The only thing that was out of warranty was the graphics card.  

Take the cooler off the gpu and give it a rinse with water (no detergent), this will clean the gpu and get rid of any potential shorts though youll have to wait a day or 2  to dry depending on climate

Also would reccomend discharging by holding powerbutton on a mobo ~2 mins that has the psu either disconnected or shut off

34 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Take the cooler off the gpu and give it a rinse with water (no detergent), this will clean the gpu and get rid of any potential shorts though youll have to wait a day or 2  to dry depending on climate

It might get rid of some potential shorts, but if it's that kind of thing(like a hair or dust or something weird) shorting the card, you shouldn't need water to get rid of it.

What's more likely is that the GPU is fried because RAM was changed while the system was running, and there's nothing to be done except send it to your nearest electronics recycler.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, GarytheGeek said:

that 2070 is probably fried.

also, who replaces RAM sticks while the computer is on?

Lmao my friend wasn't thinking I'm sure 

29 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It might get rid of some potential shorts, but if it's that kind of thing(like a hair or dust or something weird) shorting the card, you shouldn't need water to get rid of it.

What's more likely is that the GPU is fried because RAM was changed while the system was running, and there's nothing to be done except send it to your nearest electronics recycler.

That's the last thing I wanted to hear 😢 

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No harm in trying to fix it

And i dont really see the relation between taking the ram off while pc is running and the gpu magically dying because of it unless the ram traces are somehow connected to the pcie traces and somehow managed to kill the card via some sort of killer voltage or current, but random shit happens

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

And i dont really see the relation between taking the ram off while pc is running and the gpu magically dying because of it unless the ram traces are somehow connected to the pcie traces and somehow managed to kill the card via some sort of killer voltage or current, but random shit happens

I don't fully see it either, but we also don't know what else from the original system also doesn't work. The friend got warranty replacements for everything else, so we have no way of knowing what all died as a result of changing RAM like that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!