All SATA stopped working after upgrading to W11

Go to solution Solved by FelixTheCat04,

Now I am posting my own solution after getting help on the Microsoft forum:  Apparently W11 works differently with drives and requires RAID insteead of ACHI. Would never have thought of that.

Changing in the BIOS from ACHI to RAID did not bring the drives back straight away. I observed two differences:

1. during start-up (before W11 loads) the four drives are listed, it states that the BIOS defaults have been restored and gives the option to press CTRL-C to configure

2. In the device manager there were two new RAID controllers listed under "other devices" with the little yellow triangle, but an updated driver could not be found by Windows. However the utility of the motherbroad found a RAID driver and after installing this, all drives re-appeared.

Dear LTT,

Big fan of your channel, but as I have enountered a roadblock that I cannot overcome, I am hoping that the good pleople here might be able to help.

So my  felf-buillt system has been running well for years and I have been doing steady upgrades, until I tried out Windows 11....

Here are my specs:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version    10.0.22623 Build 22623
System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model    AB350-Gaming 3
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    Default string
Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends International, LLC. F52h, 27/07/2022
SMBIOS Version    3.3
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product    AB350-Gaming 3-CF
BaseBoard Version    Default string
Platform Role    Desktop
Secure Boot State    Off
PCR7 Configuration    Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    Germany
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.22621.891"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory    8.70 GB
Total Virtual Memory    20.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory    7.43 GB
Page File Space    4.92 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection    Off
Virtualisation-based security    Not enabled
Windows Defender Application Control policy    Enforced
Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy    Off
Device Encryption Support    Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware    No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

Hours earlier my secondary drives (3xSSD, 1xDVD RW) which are connected via SATA were still working on W10. After upgrading to W11 they are still visible in the BIOS but not in drive manager or the device manager. M2.2 boot drive works fine as before (thnk goodness). There are also no errors in the device manager.

Windows Update is up to date. All chipset drivers are up to date. Uninstalling the SATA driver and restarting did not help. Scan disk is clear. BIOS version is the latest.

Could TPM / Bitlocker cause this somehow as this is the only think that is different on the drive front with W11? (Boot drive M.2 SSD is now encrypted and still works)

Any tips, hints or help would be so very much apprechiated, as I would really like to get my data back without having to revert to W10.

Lots of love, Felix

Now I am posting my own solution after getting help on the Microsoft forum:  Apparently W11 works differently with drives and requires RAID insteead of ACHI. Would never have thought of that.

Changing in the BIOS from ACHI to RAID did not bring the drives back straight away. I observed two differences:

1. during start-up (before W11 loads) the four drives are listed, it states that the BIOS defaults have been restored and gives the option to press CTRL-C to configure

2. In the device manager there were two new RAID controllers listed under "other devices" with the little yellow triangle, but an updated driver could not be found by Windows. However the utility of the motherbroad found a RAID driver and after installing this, all drives re-appeared.