SteamOS (HoloISO) vs Windows 10 - Couch Gaming / VR

Rootbear75
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Windows hands down.

The moment you said vr linux died.

https://www.howtogeek.com/233911/how-to-make-your-windows-gaming-pc-automatically-boot-to-big-picture-mode-like-a-steam-machine/

Here ya go

Also for your own sanity get something like a logitech k400 keybaord trackpad combi easy and works like a charm for tv usage.

Hey all!

I got a new mini-ITX build done for my living room, and I'm itching to get everything set up. My end goal is to boot into a Steam Big Picture experience either by using SteamOS or Windows 10.

I do intend on having my VR in my living room, so I was wondering what performance hits if any would I be getting if I wanted to use VR with SteamOS?

I am trying to avoid unnecessary amounts of configuration changes needed, which is why I would prefer to stay away from Windows 10.  Ideally, the end goal is -- I turn on PC, and it boots into Steam Big Picture mode.  I plan on having multiple XBox controllers hooked up to this, so the OS needs to be able to handle primarily controller input from boot without needed KB/Mouse for logging in.  (I know there are ways to bypass login screen on boot in Windows)

If SteamOS is not viable, does anyone have any resources they've found on configuring Windows to login and boot directly into Steam Big Picture mode for couch gaming?

I stuck with AMD as I've heard that nVidia drivers for linux/steamOS can be iffy at best.

Any tips or tricks? I've looked on the internet and I cannot find any resources regarding SteamOS (via HoloISO) and its VR experience (if it even has one).

Would love any feedback!

Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600

MSI AMD Radeon 6750X

16GB RAM

1TB NVMe

AsROCK B550M 

VR: Valve Index

Edited by Rootbear75
Updated to include vr headset

Windows hands down.

https://www.howtogeek.com/233911/how-to-make-your-windows-gaming-pc-automatically-boot-to-big-picture-mode-like-a-steam-machine/

Here ya go

Also for your own sanity get something like a logitech k400 keybaord trackpad combi easy and works like a charm for tv usage.

I haven't tried SteamOS yet so can't comment on that, but I've been running Windows 11 since it came out and SteamVR really doesn't like it.

Sometimes it works mostly fine but other times I cannot use my headset because SteamVR doesn't pick it up. I haven't been able to get it to work for months now.

Steam support said that SteamVR doesn't officially support Windows 11 yet so you should stick to Win 10 if SteamOS doesn't work out for you.

I've rolled back to Win 10 and it works perfectly fine but Win 11 still cannot pick it up.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

6 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Steam support said that SteamVR doesn't officially support Windows 11 yet so you should stick to Win 10 if SteamOS doesn't work out for you.

I've changed my post to reflect win 10. Appreciate you letting me know!

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Windows hands down.

Here ya go

I get Linux in general probably wouldn't do it, which is why I was curious if SteamOS (the same-ish version the Steam Deck uses) would. HoloISO uses a fork of the current branch that Valve uses for the Steam deck.

12 minutes ago, Rootbear75 said:

I get Linux in general probably wouldn't do it, which is why I was curious if SteamOS (the same-ish version the Steam Deck uses) would. HoloISO uses a fork of the current branch that Valve uses for the Steam deck.

Oh no vr in linux just flat out doesn't work as headsets don't have drivers and the ones the community made are well. Basically non functional and a one way trip to the pukebucket 😛

58 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh no vr in linux just flat out doesn't work as headsets don't have drivers and the ones the community made are well. Basically non functional and a one way trip to the pukebucket 😛

Even Valve's Index? Prob should have specified that one 😄

1 hour ago, Rootbear75 said:

Even Valve's Index? Prob should have specified that one 😄

It has official support and it works*****

****** when the planets align, your astrological sign says it has a good day and you don't create a disturbance in the force

Just stick with windows its so much easier 😛

You may see more Linux VR compatibility if the new Valve Deckard VR headset is a standalone capable device as is rumored and also runs SteamOS like the Steam Deck. Until then you're kinda stuck with Windows.