Audio device not detected after upgrading GTX 1080 to RTX 4070 Ti

Ron30
Go to solution Solved by Alinz,

Have you used DDU to get rid of the old 1080 drivers? Might be worth a Shot.

Just DDU both cards, and clean instal the 4070 again, might be some driver problems if the 1080 drivers where not removed entirely.

So I run an ultrawide monitor (no built in speakers) via DisplayPort, and a HDMI Receiver via HDMI. The receiver is seen as a second monitor and is setup only for audio. About a year ago, I had to swap to a HDMI to DisplayPort cable for my receiver, but this worked without any issue.

Today, I swapped out my GTX 1080 for an RTX 4070 Ti, but the Nvidia Control Panel says my monitor is the only audio capable device that's plugged in (it's got no speaker). In the Sound control panel, when I play any audio, I can see the green sound bars lighting up beside my monitor. I can also see 3 other NVIDIA High Definition Audio devices that show 'Not plugged in' (though the card has 2 HDMI and 3 DP, so should be 5 in total, not 4).

I'm running Windows 11 64 bit, with an AMD 5900X, 32GB RAM and 800W PSU.

I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers and all Windows updates. I tried a clean install of the drivers. I've tried both the HDMI cable and the HDMI to DP cable. I've swapped the port that the cables are plugged into, and even swapped the monitor and receiver's ports around. I've confirmed the HD Audio is enabled in BIOS as well.

I'm unable to rollback driver since doing the clean install, however the Audio driver was already up to date and working fine with the GTX 1080.

I updated the VBIOS and it restarted as part of the update. Afterwards, I could see my receiver in the sound control panel but not my monitor, but the NVIDIA control panel still showed the monitor and not the receiver. I was still unable to get sound. After rebooting again, the receiver is no longer showing again and the monitor is showing as a sound device again.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Just DDU both cards, and clean instal the 4070 again, might be some driver problems if the 1080 drivers where not removed entirely.

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

use the windows settings panel and in there select the source and outputs etc and select the items you wish to use.

My motherboard has sounds options the GPU has sound option etc but I also need to tell windows which ones to use then it works flawlessly.

1 hour ago, johnno23 said:

use the windows settings panel and in there select the source and outputs etc and select the items you wish to use.

My motherboard has sounds options the GPU has sound option etc but I also need to tell windows which ones to use then it works flawlessly.

Unfortunately this didn't work. It only shows my monitor as an option.

1 hour ago, Alinz said:

Ran DDU twice in normal mode. Installed drivers from scratch. At first, same issue, but once I enabled the receiver in the 'Set up multiple displays' option in Nvidia Control Panel, it showed up as an Audio device. Thank you!