Finalizing Stability

I have ran y cruncher through Benchmate, ran a few TM5 profiles and 24 hours or about 125000% in Karhu. I want to make sure I am 100% stable before seeing if 8200 is possible or tighter timings is possible. what other test target specifically the RAM or is my testing I have already completed good enough?

Y Cruncher VST. It is the absolute hardest stress test to run on 13th gen when going for high memory clocks because it hammers your memory controller. You can start it by running this command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\BenchMate 10\apps\y-cruncher\y-cruncher.exe" stress vst

I'd let it run for about an hour before declaring a setup fully stable, but usually if it's unstable it'll crash within 10 minutes if you just want to do a light stress test before going for something better rather than wasting time running stress tests. 

run a stock fish chess analysis using all your cores and a big enough cache  and use the memory testing features of OCCT

On 3/6/2023 at 8:09 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

Y Cruncher VST. It is the absolute hardest stress test to run on 13th gen when going for high memory clocks because it hammers your memory controller. You can start it by running this command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\BenchMate 10\apps\y-cruncher\y-cruncher.exe" stress vst

I'd let it run for about an hour before declaring a setup fully stable, but usually if it's unstable it'll crash within 10 minutes if you just want to do a light stress test before going for something better rather than wasting time running stress tests. 

I attempted to run this but it said it didn't recognize vst. Please advise!

Just now, SightUp said:

I attempted to run this but it said it didn't recognize vst. Please advise!

It was a typo, VST is supposed to be capitalized. The actual command should be this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\BenchMate 10\apps\y-cruncher\y-cruncher.exe" stress VST

If I am testing my memory overclock, wouldn't a better test be FFT?

Am I done with my RAM? Can I finally move on to the CPU overclock yet?

I have ran 1.5 hours of VST, 24 hours of Karhu, and several different TM5 cfgs.

Is it safe to call this stable?

• 7 months later...
On 3/8/2023 at 2:47 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

It was a typo, VST is supposed to be capitalized. The actual command should be this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\BenchMate 10\apps\y-cruncher\y-cruncher.exe" stress VST

Hey there, kinda novice here recently built win11PC after 10 years of mac. Quick noon question… after running this VST cmd I have it running from benchmate 11. I can’t find commands for this script though. How do you stop VST from running if you have to leave in the middle of testing? I’ve passed for 30min, just wondering just in case. Thanks!!

1 minute ago, Kdammel said:

Hey there, kinda novice here recently built win11PC after 10 years of mac. Quick noon question… after running this VST cmd I have it running from benchmate 11. I can’t find commands for this script though. How do you stop VST from running if you have to leave in the middle of testing? I’ve passed for 30min, just wondering just in case. Thanks!!

Pressing Escape should pause the test, and doing CTRL+C will stop it. Same with just exiting the CMD window. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Pressing Escape should pause the test, and doing CTRL+C will stop it. Same with just exiting the CMD window. 

Cool thanks! Just wanted to be sure it’s stops safely. Is there a quick cmd to stop and create log file of current results in the middle of running or? 

Also, for any noobs interested that it may help, for me to run VST (after only having benchmate 11 installed) in win11 the cmd was

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Benchmate 11\apps\y-cruncher\0.8.2.0\y-cruncher.exe” stress VST 

Cool thanks! Just wanted to be sure it’s stops safely. Is there a quick cmd to stop and create log file of current results in the middle of running or? 

I'm not aware of one unfortunately. Then again, the most important thing to know about it is whether it passes or fails, the error message it gives if it fails is rarely important, and that you will see right before you quit the program. 

Also, for any noobs interested that it may help, for me to run VST (after only having benchmate 11 installed) in win11 the cmd was

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Benchmate 11\apps\y-cruncher\0.8.2.0\y-cruncher.exe” stress VST 

Might also be worth checking VT3 out, that's their new stress test and it's supposedly a bit harder to run than VST is.  I haven't really run into a situation where VT3 fails and VST passes yet, though I haven't really been looking too hard so keep that in mind. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'm not aware of one unfortunately. Then again, the most important thing to know about it is whether it passes or fails, the error message it gives if it fails is rarely important, and that you will see right before you quit the program. 

Might also be worth checking VT3 out, that's their new stress test and it's supposedly a bit harder to run than VST is.  I haven't really run into a situation where VT3 fails and VST passes yet, though I haven't really been looking too hard so keep that in mind. 

Ok cool, will do. Was starting by specifically hoping to stress the IMC, as I’ve read VST does. That will be my next step. VST definitely is pushing the CPU lol. Pretty happy with my thermals so far, as I imagine most games/apps won’t continuously stress it this far. Temps in games like starfield rarely get above 60 and VST is high 70s-80s pretty consistently 

23 minutes ago, Kdammel said:

VST definitely is pushing the CPU lol.

Yeah, it does both. VT3 is the same way, though it's a slightly different workload and it's apparently a bit better at crashing the IMC. 

42 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, it does both. VT3 is the same way, though it's a slightly different workload and it's apparently a bit better at crashing the IMC. 

Well, I’d better do it 😅 done well in Memtest86 and 400% HCI, now just wanna do like 1 or 2 more stressors that aren’t going to take forever. This 7200 XMP wasn’t exactly 7200, but I’d settle for ~6600-6800 if it’s stable lol. 

btw, u don’t happen to know, in MSI BIOS u can set CPU SA specific number, but there’s also “auto” right above that for CPU SA mode.

Think I should set that to override instead of auto? Or would the number I placed in the setting stay as is? It doesn’t ”appear” to budge much in HWinfo (I’d like it to stay put). It’s hard to find specific answers like these, and I’m trying to change one thing at a time.

anyway, thanks again! 

49 minutes ago, Kdammel said:

btw, u don’t happen to know, in MSI BIOS u can set CPU SA specific number, but there’s also “auto” right above that for CPU SA mode.

Think I should set that to override instead of auto? Or would the number I placed in the setting stay as is? It doesn’t ”appear” to budge much in HWinfo (I’d like it to stay put). It’s hard to find specific answers like these, and I’m trying to change one thing at a time.

anyway, thanks again! 

As far as I'm aware, it defaults to override when you input a number manually, though I do just set it to override whenever I use it.