New CPU and MOBO

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
14 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

according to pc-builds any of these replacements would have a bottleneck due to the cpu. https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/result/10f174/2i/apex-legends/1920x1080/

Ignore this, these bottleneck calculators are generally useless. They're designed to sell parts and that's about it. 

I still would recommend going for 13th gen over one of those two chips you selected, 13th gen really is a lot faster than 12th gen with very similar pricing, but you can easily get by with a 13600K rather than a 13700K. Getting a 13600KF, board, and RAM is definitely possible under $600, though I'd spend a little bit more personally and get a faster RAM kit

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tfBxBj

As for if DDR5 is worth it, it generally has a pretty decent 1% lows uplift, especially with faster kits like 6400 CL32, so I'd consider it worth going to, but if you've already got a very high end kit of DDR4 (Samsung B die) you might as well stick to DDR4. If you don't have a B die bin though, going to DDR5, especially if you wanted more capacity anyway is the better idea. 

Budget (including currency): 600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming and sometimes hosting games. Some light, video and photo editing, as well as some programming such as writing and running physics simulations.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Currently have an RTX 3080 and 16gb ddr4 3600mhz ram.

I've been experiencing problems for the last 5 or 6 months with my entire computer freezing or hanging for anywhere from 2 to 20 seconds. I've run tests and I do not believe it is any of my other parts. So I was going to replace my current 8700k and asus maximus x motherboard.

I was originally going to grab some ebay deal for a 5600x or a 12600k, but I ran into this site and a few others talking about bottlenecks. One of the main games I play is Apex Legends and according to pc-builds any of these replacements would have a bottleneck due to the cpu. https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/result/10f174/2i/apex-legends/1920x1080/

Now I'd rather have a bottleneck on my gpu rather than my cpu, as I'd like to have other programs running in the background. Looking over what doesn't give a bottleneck, according to pc-builds I'd need at least a 13700k or a 5950x. These with the type of mobo I want (one enough usb ports and with a grey/metal aesthetics) eats up all my budget. I was planning on increasing my ram to 32gb and getting another m.2 drive as my current gaming drive is getting rather full. So is pc-builds accurate?

Also, is it worth it to switch to ddr5? The mobo price difference between the D4 version and ddr5 version are so small and all the ddr5 kits I'm looking at seem to default to 32gb anyways. But going ddr5 and a 13700k aren't possible. So is the bottleneck accurate or can I go cheaper cpu and get more ram?

Thank you ahead of time and very interested in your opinions.

14 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

according to pc-builds any of these replacements would have a bottleneck due to the cpu. https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/result/10f174/2i/apex-legends/1920x1080/

Ignore this, these bottleneck calculators are generally useless. They're designed to sell parts and that's about it. 

I still would recommend going for 13th gen over one of those two chips you selected, 13th gen really is a lot faster than 12th gen with very similar pricing, but you can easily get by with a 13600K rather than a 13700K. Getting a 13600KF, board, and RAM is definitely possible under $600, though I'd spend a little bit more personally and get a faster RAM kit

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tfBxBj

As for if DDR5 is worth it, it generally has a pretty decent 1% lows uplift, especially with faster kits like 6400 CL32, so I'd consider it worth going to, but if you've already got a very high end kit of DDR4 (Samsung B die) you might as well stick to DDR4. If you don't have a B die bin though, going to DDR5, especially if you wanted more capacity anyway is the better idea. 

12 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you don't have a B die bin though, going to DDR5, especially if you wanted more capacity anyway is the better idea. 

Instead of asking you how to check, I googled and found software to find out what I have. According to Thaiphoon Burner, I have C-die. So I should go ddr5?

3 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Instead of asking you how to check, I googled and found software to find out what I have. According to Thaiphoon Burner, I have C-die. So I should go ddr5?

Thaiphoon Burner can have issues reading certain memory dies, so I wouldn't trust its results 100%, but the issues it usually has are saying something is B die when it isn't, not the other way around. The real way to check would be to take the memory bin you've got and diving the frequency by the tRCD value (second in the order of timings), if you get a value above 200 it's B die, if not it's something else, but it's probably a safe call to say that's not B die. 

Anyway, yes, I would go for a kit of DDR5. A good kit of DDR4 and a good kit of DDR5 are about the same price, so if you wanted to go for a speed upgrade at the same time you got a capacity upgrade, it's not like you're spending that much more on DDR5 anyway. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thaiphoon Burner can have issues reading certain memory dies, so I wouldn't trust its results 100%, but the issues it usually has are saying something is B die when it isn't, not the other way around. The real way to check would be to take the memory bin you've got and diving the frequency by the tRCD value (second in the order of timings), if you get a value above 200 it's B die, if not it's something else, but it's probably a safe call to say that's not B die. 

Anyway, yes, I would go for a kit of DDR5. A good kit of DDR4 and a good kit of DDR5 are about the same price, so if you wanted to go for a speed upgrade at the same time you got a capacity upgrade, it's not like you're spending that much more on DDR5 anyway. 

This is the mobo I am desiring now. https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-z790-p-wifi/p/N82E16813119603

So that kit of ram puts me too high above my limit. How important is the 6400 CL32?

2 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

This is the mobo I am desiring now. https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-z790-p-wifi/p/N82E16813119603

So that kit of ram puts me too high above my limit. How important is the 6400 CL32?

If I drop to the 12600kf, I can get it all for $20 over my budget. Is it that big of a difference from the 13th gen?

Is it better to get the 13600KF and slower ram or the 12600kf with 6400 ram?

6 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

Not that big a deal, dropping down to 6000 CL36 is not that huge a downgrade

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not that big a deal, dropping down to 6000 CL36 is not that huge a downgrade

What about 5600? The price delta between 6000 and 6400 seems so small. 

Just now, Sin Stalker said:

What about 5600? The price delta between 6000 and 6400 seems so small. 

5600 is also fine. Plus, if you're willing to run a memory stress test, basically every 5600 rated kit will be able to do 6000 CL36-38-38 by just bumping up the voltage slightly.