Did Windows Update Break Chrome?

Go to solution Solved by Ashleyyyy,
2 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Well this is interesting.

download chrome setup from their site and run it, if it already detects an install there select the repair option in the installer, that should do it.

Windows Update just did its thing after my PC shut down unexpectedly. Now I am getting the following error message whenever trying to open Chrome. What is the problem and how should I deal with it?

84C471B4-1266-46A5-80E7-FA24BBA3ABDB.jpeg

Easiest step is probably to uninstall and reinstall - if that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

edit - chrome that is, not windows

It might be that it was always messed up but went unnoticed before.  If it did you seem to be the first that’s mentioned it.  If this is the case though there will be a LOT of complaints.  A Roll-back would be a quick work around if the above fails.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Windows Update just did its thing after my PC shut down unexpectedly. Now I am getting the following error message whenever trying to open Chrome. What is the problem and how should I deal with it?

84C471B4-1266-46A5-80E7-FA24BBA3ABDB.jpeg

Why do you launch Chrome though Internet Explorer? Why do you even have Internet Explorer? Just install Chrome and lauch it directly and you should be fine.

19 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

the problem is that for some reason your chrome shortcut was set in internet explorer's files. Windows Update recently pushed an update that deletes internet explorer, hence your shortcut is gone.

manually pinning Chrome to the taskbar should fix it.

She/Her

Just now, Applefreak said:

Why do you launch Chrome though Internet Explorer? Why do you even have Internet Explorer? Just install Chrome and lauch it directly and you should be fine.

old windows versions did that, it's possible this person upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, hence the old shortcut was still there.

She/Her

16 minutes ago, JimTheBeet said:

Easiest step is probably to uninstall and reinstall - if that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

edit - chrome that is, not windows

Well this is interesting.5547597C-51C7-428A-871C-1BCC19B2553D.thumb.jpeg.594571a2055462a5da032411ae867125.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I’ve never have launched Chrome through Internet Explorer. 

2 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Well this is interesting.

download chrome setup from their site and run it, if it already detects an install there select the repair option in the installer, that should do it.

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

Fixed, but not how I expected.

Downloaded the installer, and went to open it. The setup utility didn’t even give me a prompt before Chrome opened up on its own and started working again. 

I’d really like to know what @Applefreak was going on about with the internet explorer? I haven’t used Explorer for anything but downloading Chrome in over a decade.

Just now, Cavalry Canuck said:

Fixed, but not how I expected.

Downloaded the installer, and went to open it. The setup utility didn’t even give me a prompt before Chrome opened up on its own and started working again. 

I’d really like to know what @Applefreak was going on about with the internet explorer? I haven’t used Explorer for anything but downloading Chrome in over a decade.

old versions of windows when you set the default browser it put that file in the internet explorer files, so that old programs that were designed to open with IE would open with chrome, iirc that was the reason. hence your shortcut was there.

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

old versions of windows when you set the default browser it put that file in the internet explorer files, so that old programs that were designed to open with IE would open with chrome, iirc that was the reason. hence your shortcut was there.

Interesting. Will this be a recurring problem, or can I consider it fixed?

Oldest OS that was on this machine was Windows 8. I believe I transitioned to Win 10 over 5 years ago.

39 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

I guess it should be fixed for good, though honestly you can just never be sure what Windows Update might be up to 😅

29 minutes ago, Monsterkater said:

I guess it should be fixed for good, though honestly you can just never be sure what Windows Update might be up to 😅

Evidently it doesn’t want me to boot now.689BA70D-A041-47D0-9717-138130944172.thumb.jpeg.337f2998dbba2a36b6bbef0956c2511c.jpeg

5 hours ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Oldest OS that was on this machine was Windows 8. I believe I transitioned to Win 10 over 5 years ago.

that could be why, 8 still came with IE by default, not edge like Windows 10 did.

She/Her

8 hours ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Evidently it doesn’t want me to boot now.689BA70D-A041-47D0-9717-138130944172.thumb.jpeg.337f2998dbba2a36b6bbef0956c2511c.jpeg

What does your bios say?  Is it seeing the drive? (It should, but one never knows)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

What does your bios say?  Is it seeing the drive? (It should, but one never knows)

Sorry, I got this one sorted out pretty quick after I posted this. I should have mentioned it.

It appears my BIOS settings all got reset to default, including switching my storage settings from RAID back to AHCI. I really want to blame Windows update for this, but I actually can't be sure. Regardless, it was a fairly quick fix once I figured out what went wrong. Only headache was one of my drives wasn't recognized as part of the array by the RAID controller after I got the settings fixed. Formatted that drive and re-integrated it into the array. The rebuild took about an hour.

18 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Sorry, I got this one sorted out pretty quick after I posted this. I should have mentioned it.

It appears my BIOS settings all got reset to default, including switching my storage settings from RAID back to AHCI. I really want to blame Windows update for this, but I actually can't be sure. Regardless, it was a fairly quick fix once I figured out what went wrong. Only headache was one of my drives wasn't recognized as part of the array by the RAID controller after I got the settings fixed. Formatted that drive and re-integrated it into the array. The rebuild took about an hour.

Heh.  That would do it lol.