Help please :(

So I want to upgrade a server I have that runs on an old Xeon processor and I am looking at the currently available processors for the job . Now I am kind of lost here cause I might be missing important info but why would I buy a new Xeon or Epyc that cost thousands right now rather than going for a 7950x3d which has decent enough cache . I am looking at OLTP workloads with mainly SQL server running on the system. And on that system around 20-25 clients will be online at the time running SAP. 

Why would I want to buy server chips ? Are they better pieces of silicon that last longer? Is Ryzen 9 not suitable for 24/7 usage ? If anyone could help me understand , I would appreciate it

Thanks!

Quack.

ECC RAM. Xeons have it, and while SOME AMD chips support it, most of the boards those chips go into, don't.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, DuckQuack said:

So I want to upgrade a server I have that runs on an old Xeon processor and I am looking at the currently available processors for the job . Now I am kind of lost here cause I might be missing important info but why would I buy a new Xeon or Epyc that cost thousands right now rather than going for a 7950x3d which has decent enough cache . I am looking at OLTP workloads with mainly SQL server running on the system. And on that system around 20-25 clients will be online at the time running SAP. 

Why would I want to buy server chips ? Are they better pieces of silicon that last longer? Is Ryzen 9 not suitable for 24/7 usage ? If anyone could help me understand , I would appreciate it

Thanks!

Quack.

Just some random info about the quality fo scilicon for AMD, The Thredripper chips are not quality top binned scilicon but they get through with brute force of cores.

With regards to 24/7 operation i dont think a ryzen or intel consumer chip will have any issues with that.

8 minutes ago, DuckQuack said:

Thanks!

Quack.

Server grade items are more reliable across the board, but I think you balance that with the severity and workloads they are dealing with.

Normal people having a "server" or NAS don't run into the extreme usage that server grade items are made for.  Consumer CPUs handle our needs even 24/7 without issue.  My Plex has been running 24/7 for 4 years now.  Simple Ryzen 1600.

A true server in a business handles 100x or 1000x the throughput or tasks that your home server will.  

Just like anything else, Commercial or Industrial grade has it's uses.  You need to ask if you use the item to that level. 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

ECC RAM. Xeons have it, and while SOME AMD chips support it, most of the boards those chips go into, don't.

Of course , I am not going to be fooled by non existant ecc ram support 🙂 Thanks . I will be choosing boards that do support. I already have some RDimms in mind

Just now, DuckQuack said:

Of course , I am not going to be fooled by non existant ecc ram support 🙂 Thanks . I will be choosing boards that do support. I already have some RDimms in mind

And don't discount simple market-share inertia. Xeon's have always been touted a must-have for business needs, and Intel's market salespitch is strong (and they were they 1st with business-grade chips)

Do you need a Xeon? Probably not.

I only run Xeons in my systems because of PCIe lanes and ECC support.

Oh, and scalability (I love running dual and quad Xeon systems)

But none of that is needed, just fun

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Server grade items are more reliable across the board, but I think you balance that with the severity and workloads they are dealing with.

Normal people having a "server" or NAS don't run into the extreme usage that server grade items are made for.  Consumer CPUs handle our needs even 24/7 without issue.  My Plex has been running 24/7 for 4 years now.  Simple Ryzen 1600.

A true server in a business handles 100x or 1000x the throughput or tasks that your home server will.  

Just like anything else, Commercial or Industrial grade has it's uses.  You need to ask if you use the item to that level. 

As I mentioned I will be using SQL Server for 25 clients , meaning its for business use . Now how can my clients benefit from a fast server with a sensible cost for me the builder? Thats what I am trying to figure out , because some sites say that I need to avoid low clock speed cores for SQL implementations but if I look into high clock speed server Cpus they are very expensive . I am not sure the work the server will be doing can offset those costs in even 5 years , if we're talking for a total system cost of €5-7k , sure the severity of loosing data is high so I am going to invest on great nvme drives with a raid 10 setup and good ram but what about the rest of the system  

As I mentioned I will be using SQL Server for 25 clients , meaning its for business use . Now how can my clients benefit from a fast server with a sensible cost for me the builder? Thats what I am trying to figure out , because some sites say that I need to avoid low clock speed cores for SQL implementations but if I look into high clock speed server Cpus they are very expensive . I am not sure the work the server will be doing can offset those costs in even 5 years , if we're talking for a total system cost of €5-7k , sure the severity of loosing data is high so I am going to invest on great nvme drives with a raid 10 setup and good ram but what about the rest of the system  

I'm curious here. You are worried about cost, yet you say you have 25 clients.

Do you not charge them the cost for the new faster system?

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm curious here. You are worried about cost, yet you say you have 25 clients.

Do you not charge them the cost for the new faster system?

Clients meaning , people who connect to the server , as in 25 terminals , not 25 customers . Sorry for the confusion

11 minutes ago, DuckQuack said:

I'd go for a 5950x or a Threadripper 3950x if you really need ECC, both in the $500-$800 range

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Clients meaning , people who connect to the server , as in 25 terminals , not 25 customers . Sorry for the confusion

Gotcha, no worries.

As to what CPU is better for SQL, this may help

https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/07/choosing-a-processor-for-sql-server/

53 minutes ago, DuckQuack said:

Yes I read this before coming here and to be honest it confused me even more , making my choice even more uncertain

Ok, let's approach it from a different angle then:

What kind of SQL work are your clients doing?

22 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, let's approach it from a different angle then:

What kind of SQL work are your clients doing?

We have a number of tables , beeing accessed by this programm called Sap business one , and they are making many small changes on the tables . I.e processing invoices , creating records , etc. No big files. Reporting takes a lot of time now and some queries , which I am aiming to improve by getting better hardware. Optimizing the code is something we cannot do currently as it is outsourced but we can help with better hardware. I for one know that DDR5 ram with 6000mhz at 32 or a better ratio will give us a significant boost from the current outdated 1333mhz

17 minutes ago, DuckQuack said:

DDR5 ram with 6000mhz

That's some pretty expensive stuff for marginal gains, just a fair warning.

What are the specs of your existing system?

IIRC SQL charges per core, have you taken into account the increased cost of the SQL licensing?