is it a good idea to use an aio cooler as a long term solution?

Go to solution Solved by brob,

If one is running stock settings a good air cooler is fine for an i7-13700K.

The coolant used in AIO does break down over time. As a result one shouldn't count on an AIO lasting longer than its warranty.

I am planning a build for some point in the future, and I read that AIOs are better than air coolers, but my friend said that they are not good for long term use... can someone please help me? planned cpu is prob 13700k with rtx 3070

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__ is a w

2 minutes ago, McrP87 said:

I am planning a build for some point in the future, and I read that AIOs are better than air coolers, but my friend said that they are not good for long term use... can someone please help me? planned cpu is prob 13700k with rtx 3070

AIO is definetely better than air cooler, some of AIO even might lasts up to 10+ years, for  a 13700K and an AIO is already enough for that.

Just an Ordinary Senior High-Schooler.

Please correct me if Im wrong when posting on someone's forum, that would really help me out. 👌

Define long-term use.

I had a Kraken x60 for around 7 years that ran with no issues, and still works today. The obvious concern are leaks, which are rare on a high-quality AIO.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If one is running stock settings a good air cooler is fine for an i7-13700K.

The coolant used in AIO does break down over time. As a result one shouldn't count on an AIO lasting longer than its warranty.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, itnomink said:

AIO is definetely better than air cooler, some of AIO even might lasts up to 10+ years, for  a 13700K and an AIO is already enough for that.

Thats a lie, high end Air coolers keep up with AIO's.. And the word you used there, might..  An air cooler will DEFINITELY work for 10 years, might have to change the fan once.. thats about it.

13 minutes ago, McrP87 said:

and I read that AIOs are better than air coolers

Eh, that's not a rule really. The best AIO will outperform the best air cooler, yes, but there are plenty of good air coolers that outperform the majority of AIOs, usually while being cheaper at the same time. 

my friend said that they are not good for long term use...

That is correct, AIOs do have a shorter lifespan than air coolers. An air cooler will last for a decade pretty easily with the only thing that might die being the fans, while an AIO since it has a pump and liquid inside has a much higher chance of failure with most only lasting about 3-5 years on average. For most people building a system, an AIO will last them until they upgrade and flip the old one, though if your PC tends to have a more "Ship of Theseus" style upgrade a top of the line air cooler or going for a custom water loop are generally the better paths.

planned cpu is prob 13700k with rtx 3070

The 13700K should be able to get by with a Deepcool AK620. It's one of, if not the best performing air cooler on the market currently, performing about on par with most 280mm AIOs IIRC, and should be able to keep the 13700K cool assuming the motherboard has a reasonable voltage curve for the CPU. If you want to overclock it, I would want at least a 360mm AIO for that chip if not a custom loop, it can get quite toasty when pushing it hard, but at stock settings the AK620 should be plenty, especially with a mild undervolt. 

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Thats a lie, high end Air coolers keep up with AIO's.. And the word you used there, might..  An air cooler will DEFINITELY work for 10 years, might have to change the fan once.. thats about it.

Depends on what AIO you choose, if you buying some cheap sketchy looking aio, that probbably not going to last 10 years, i can say i agree with you saying, a high end air cooler can keep up with aio, but thats just my opinion 

Please correct me if Im wrong when posting on someone's forum, that would really help me out. 👌

4 minutes ago, itnomink said:

Depends on what AIO you choose, if you buying some cheap sketchy looking aio, that probbably not going to last 10 years, i can say i agree with you saying, a high end air cooler can keep up with aio, but thats just my opinion 

Obviously.  I got a free AIO with my 9900k and it was so shit I was scared to leave the PC on whenever I wasn't around.  Swapped it for a NH-15 that I now use on my 7700x as well.  I had a NH-D14 back in 2009-2014 and it was fantastic.  Higher end AIO's are definitely better, but knowing that a pump will fail at some point kinda has me going with Air cooling, I also personally love the industrial look of dual tower air coolers.   I do understand why people go for AIO's though, they can look pretty cool and the talking point of having an AIO might be worth it for some.

5 minutes ago, itnomink said:

Depends on what AIO you choose, if you buying some cheap sketchy looking aio,

Both of the Asetek AIOs (90% of AIOs from the likes of Corsair, NZXT, etc. just rebrand this style of AIO) I've owned have got failing pumps after about 5 years with proper bubble maintenance. They still *technically* work after 6-7 years since new, but they both rattle like crazy and practically speaking are unusable. Just because an AIO is high end doesn't mean that it's gonna last. 

Just now, Hinjima said:

Obviously.  I got a free AIO with my 9900k and it was so shit I was scared to leave the PC on whenever I wasn't around.  Swapped it for a NH-15 that I now use on my 7700x as well.  I had a NH-D14 back in 2009-2014 and it was fantastic.  Higher end AIO's are definitely better, but knowing that a pump will fail at some point kinda has me going with Air cooling, and I only game so thats completely fine.

Okay, cool. yeah some cases that the pump can be fail in any point.

if there’s a price, theres a quality

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Both of the Asetek AIOs (90% of AIOs from the likes of Corsair, NZXT, etc. just rebrand this style of AIO) I've owned have got failing pumps after about 5 years with proper bubble maintenance. They still *technically* work after 6-7 years since new, but they both rattle like crazy and practically speaking are unusable. Just because an AIO is high end doesn't mean that it's gonna last. 

And this is the reason why I went NH-D14 and NH-D15... I never actually had to upgrade my 14 to 15 but I wanted it purely because I am a tech enthusiast.  If Noctua will make brackets for the NH-D15 for future intel sockets and AM6.. I dont see myself ever changing it unless I want something else purely because I want it, not because the D15 failed.
The DeepCool Assassin IV looks really cool.

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Just because an AIO is high end doesn't mean that it's gonna last. 

And of course, manufacturing defects exist as well. No matter what is being purchased, defects can and do occur - you can have an extremely tight manufacturing process - all it means is that less slip through the cracks. I can almost guarantee that no manufacturing company can claim 100% no-defects for a given year. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

5 minutes ago, itnomink said:

Also under the assumption one is not being ripped off.

24 minutes ago, itnomink said:

This is also correct, but price does not equal quality.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 hours ago, Hinjima said:

And this is the reason why I went NH-D14 and NH-D15... I never actually had to upgrade my 14 to 15 but I wanted it purely because I am a tech enthusiast.  If Noctua will make brackets for the NH-D15 for future intel sockets and AM6.. I dont see myself ever changing it unless I want something else purely because I want it, not because the D15 failed.
The DeepCool Assassin IV looks really cool.

my friend went the same way and the chromax.black version of the nh-d15 looks really cool. i guess il go with the nh-d15 then

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

@Bob__ is a w

12 minutes ago, McrP87 said:

my friend went the same way and the chromax.black version of the nh-d15 looks really cool. i guess il go with the nh-d15 then

The NH-D15 is an excellent cooler. If you want to save a bit, the AK620 Zero Dark has very similar looks and performance at a much lower cost.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

thanks

@Bob__ is a w

10 hours ago, McrP87 said:

Most air coolers last longer than most water coolers, with hard tube ones possibly lasting the longest (but they're a pain to maintain, I've heard).

Unless an air cooler is badly made or designed, the only things likely to fail are the fans and the thermal paste (poor heat conduction when dry) but water coolers also need them...

Water coolers also have the issues of liquid breakdown, which can produce gases inside, air permiation through the flexible tubing that also causes a buildup of gas, and the pump can fail especially if enough gas is trapped in it. 

As to which is better, a good quality water cooler is generally better and pretty much required in a high-heat situation, such as overclocking,  or so I'm told. However, the best air coolers can rank fairly high in a comparison but cannot outdo the best water coolers.

If you enjoy tinkering, or you plan on overclocking, look at water coolers.  Otherwise, find a good air cooler that meets your needs. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

14 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

As to which is better, a good quality water cooler is generally better and pretty much required in a high-heat situation, such as overclocking,  or so I'm told. However, the best air coolers can rank fairly high in a comparison but cannot outdo the best water coolers.

Liquid coolers are also quieter than air coolers. If you want a quiet rig, liquid is the way to go.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Liquid coolers are also quieter than air coolers. If you want a quiet rig, liquid is the way to go.

Unless you put 5,000 RPM fans and set them to max speed. 😆 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

I forgot to mention that with water cooling you don't have much trouble with fitting a water cooler's head onto the CPU, unlike air coolers, especially big ones like the Noctua D15 and the DeepCool Assassin III (don't get the Corsair A500).

As Steve at Gamers Nexus put it regarding the war over water vs air cooling: "Most of the people who make those comments [rude, contentious comments about people who suggest the other cooling solution] don't know what they're talking about and you should ignore them."

yeah im gonna buy a d15-s

@Bob__ is a w