Could I use a thunderbolt port on a laptop to input video into the laptop and output the mouse and keyboard on the laptop to another computer?

eric1830

I want to use the company desktop in bed. I can kind of achieve this with a wireless mouse, but the second I need to read something I'd have to leave my bed cause the text is too small. I want to know if it's possible to use a thunderbolt port to achieve my goal. I can't install anything on the company computer but I can plug stuff into it.

It doesn't need to be a thunderbolt port, I just figured that would be the best one to use.

Help my bum hurts from sitting down all day. I do plan to buy a new chair to help fix this, but I also wanna lay down.

if your laptop supports video out on thunderbolt, sure, or just use the HDMI port almost every laptop has as well, youll just mirror the screen to the larger display, and off you go

6 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

if your laptop supports video out on thunderbolt, sure, or just use the HDMI port almost every laptop has as well, youll just mirror the screen to the larger display, and off you go

No I want to input video into the laptop

Output the mouse and keyboard from the laptop

14 minutes ago, eric1830 said:

No I want to input video into the laptop

Output the mouse and keyboard from the laptop

That's generally not how laptop ports are set up, so unless your manual specifically mentions they can be used as a video input, I would say no.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

i misread your post sorry. I would use software to remote into your desktop from your laptop. teamviewer comes to mind but i know they arent well regarded for this, there are other options as well. Laptops 99.999% of the time do not have video input of any kind.

It may be possible to do this wirelessly. Windows has built in support for using another device as a wireless display over MiraCast (WiFi). I believe all it requires is DirectX 12 support, but you can check in dxdiag, look for MiraCast.

Assuming your laptop is supported, go into optional features in the laptop's settings and add Wireless Display. Once set up, you should be able to go to the connect menu on your desktop, and project to your laptop. If you want to use the inbuilt keyboard and touchpad, make sure you check the box to "allow keyboard, touch and mouse inputs from this device". If you then win-p, you should be able to change to duplicate and be able to use the laptop to control the PC.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:43 AM, Cyber Raven said:

It may be possible to do this wirelessly. Windows has built in support for using another device as a wireless display over MiraCast (WiFi). I believe all it requires is DirectX 12 support, but you can check in dxdiag, look for MiraCast.

Assuming your laptop is supported, go into optional features in the laptop's settings and add Wireless Display. Once set up, you should be able to go to the connect menu on your desktop, and project to your laptop. If you want to use the inbuilt keyboard and touchpad, make sure you check the box to "allow keyboard, touch and mouse inputs from this device". If you then win-p, you should be able to change to duplicate and be able to use the laptop to control the PC.

They sent me a desktop and its plugged in through ethernet, i think miracast is wifi only