My company is tossing there old server equipment is it worth keeping

ELSknutson

My company is tossing there old 19in server cabinet, 3 servers, and 2 Apc rack mount UPS's. The UPS's may need new batteries and the servers will need new hard drives ontop of that the I dont have any of the login info for the servers and they would have to be reformatted. is any of this stuff worth keeping?

The Servers are an HP Proliant DL380p Gen 8 with all the hard drive sleds 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285090600255?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rcGIeBbpQFa&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=Lk88gXgESr2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

the second server is a dell PowerEdge 2950 

the third is a dell power edge r410

They're not terrible, but they're not new.

If you have a legitimate use for them?  Go for it, but realize there's gonna be noise, heat, and electrical costs that are very non-zero tied to running them.  

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

They're not terrible, but they're not new.

If you have a legitimate use for them?  Go for it, but realize there's gonna be noise, heat, and electrical costs that are very non-zero tied to running them.  

I would like to have an in home NAS and Minecraft server, but I am afraid that the equipment is too old and it wont handle it. 

Free hardware is always a keeper in my book.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

I would like to have an in home NAS and Minecraft server, but I am afraid that the equipment is too old and it wont handle it. 

minecraft may have a few limitations due to the CPU Age, but it will run. but this is also a DRAMATIC overkill thing for what you're talking about.

Also, those drive bays are not the cheapest to fill (unless yours has 3.5" bays)

Just now, tkitch said:

minecraft may have a few limitations due to the CPU Age, but it will run. but this is also a DRAMATIC overkill thing for what you're talking about.

Also, those drive bays are not the cheapest to fill (unless yours has 3.5" bays)

one is 2.5 and the other 2 are 3.5"

4 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

one is 2.5 and the other 2 are 3.5"

2.5" Drives are way more expensive than 3.5's.  Keep that in mind.  (also smaller data-wise) 

43 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

My company is tossing there old 19in server cabinet, 3 servers, and 2 Apc rack mount UPS's. The UPS's may need new batteries and the servers will need new hard drives ontop of that the I dont have any of the login info for the servers and they would have to be reformatted. is any of this stuff worth keeping?

The Servers are an HP Proliant DL380p Gen 8 with all the hard drive sleds 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285090600255?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rcGIeBbpQFa&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=Lk88gXgESr2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What matters most is which processors they have. Some have different options...

The linked HP you showed has E5-2690s which Intel says are 8 core 16 thread at 3.8 Ghz, which could make a decent little gaming machine. However, it is Sandy Bridge series, and standard Sandy Bridge cannot boot from PCIe, though maybe the Xeons can. These processors might be worth salvaging for other projects, the others as well. However, for NAS use, be aware these are power-hungry, and I would upgrade the storage for NAS, WD Reds are excellent for that sort of thing.

Personally, I would pull the processors, and use them with a couple boards of the appropriate chipset to build / upgrade something with lower power demands. An i3-2100 can be a NAS. You don't need twin processors for that unless you're media serving to the masses on a T1 line.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Truth be told, they aren't really up for the task of modernizing.  Sometimes tech trash is just... trash.  I just cleaned out a bunch of old hardware I was keeping.  I had stuff from the age of socket 478.  WHY DO WE ALL KEEP JUNK THAT WE KNOW WE WILL NEVER USE?!?!

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

5 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

WHY DO WE ALL KEEP JUNK THAT WE KNOW WE WILL NEVER USE?!?!

Chose your screen name aptly, I see. 🤣

Because we all know that as soon as we trash it, someone (usually us) could use it. 🤣

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

Because we all know that as soon as we trash it, someone (usually us) could use it. 🤣

Don't get me wrong.  After I threw the trash bag into my garbage can at the curb I ran back out to get the GPU cards I had in there.  Just in case I need something in a pinch.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

Those HPs are the real find. I'd grab one or two and a UPS.

2 hours ago, ELSknutson said:

Pass on this, it's close to 15 17 years old and takes DDR2 FB-DIMMs.

2 hours ago, ELSknutson said:

Eeh. These are Nehalem, so parts are dirt cheap and they should be a little less power-hungry than the 2950.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2023 at 7:35 AM, ELSknutson said:

it would run mc fine depending on how well optimized your server is and how many players are on it

CCNP | Windows Admin | 2011 Audi A4 2.0t | i7 7820x @5ghz | 60tb 2 node vSAN