Rack inspired PCBuild questions

JewPacaBraZ

Hello guys,

I am planning on getting a new PC and giving my old one to my GF and since we will be sharing a huge desk, i though maybe i could do a 4U rack build of some sort.

So the rack im looking is this one:

Lanberg WF10-2304-00S (link to greek seller) Its a 4U rack

image.png.5155fe22ff7f87355bbe1fb83452dadd.png

The old PC has a ROG STRIX 1050Ti and a NZXT Z63, which i think can be mounted in a 1U shelf, taking 2Us of space

The new system will be hardlined watercooling a 6900XT and a 7700X, dual rads etc ( i am willing to mount them outside the rack) in a 1U shelf taking 2Us of space again.

also im planning to have both systems running on their own ATX PSU (CV550 and RMx1000)

I found those shelfs Powertech NETW-0004 Universal (link to greek seller) which is 1U if we trust the description

image.png.49b81005237b457969db838dcc615034.png

So in your opinion, will this work? Should i look into 6U racks? is this even possible lmao

Im open to suggestions, and if anyone else tried something like that please let me know

Tech enthusiast from the land of dept ( Greece ) and casual overclocker. If it has a processor i will overclock it, monitor yes, my car's ecu yes, my brain... yes.

MAIN PC R5 5500 / 32GB RAM / 6900XT
SERVER : i7 2600 / 12GB RAM / 8TB

34 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

Hello guys,

I am planning on getting a new PC and giving my old one to my GF and since we will be sharing a huge desk, i though maybe i could do a 4U rack build of some sort.

The old PC has a ROG STRIX 1050Ti and a NZXT Z63, which i think can be mounted in a 1U shelf, taking 2Us of space

The new system will be hardlined watercooling a 6900XT and a 7700X, dual rads etc ( i am willing to mount them outside the rack) in a 1U shelf taking 2Us of space again.

also im planning to have both systems running on their own ATX PSU (CV550 and RMx1000)

I found those shelfs Powertech NETW-0004 Universal (link to greek seller) which is 1U if we trust the description

So in your opinion, will this work? Should i look into 6U racks? is this even possible lmao

Im open to suggestions, and if anyone else tried something like that please let me know

so if you have a huge ass desk, why would you want a a 19" rack in the same room, if you start buying server grade UPS's, switches, NAS/SAN etc.. they are noisy as hell. and built for not caring about sound as they are in a room noone access unless for maintenance. 

1 U, is the size of a "slot", as long as it fits in that slot it'll never be anything other than 1 U.. we used to call 1 U server pizza boxes.. as they are of similar size. regular full racks are either 42 U or 48U. although you get them half and quarter sized too... and wall mounted 4-12 U cases mostly for edge switches.. as they are HALF debth.. and always too short for a server. oh and no airflow.. atleast considerable less as they are supposed to support a switch or two and patch panels. ... and a router if it's crowded.. 

your picture is off a 1U drawer.. usually used to mount KVM monitor and keyboard inside.  too expensive if you want to use it as a shelf.. then you buy a shelf. 

so.. you'll boil both your systems in a wall rack like that. if you realy want your new system on the wall. use a wall mounted case that looks fancy. Like CoolMaster Masterframe 700 or similar. that should fit two radiators, and show off your GPU/RGB/ram hard lined water tubes and whatnot. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Robchil said:

so if you have a huge ass desk, why would you want a a 19" rack in the same room, if you start buying server grade UPS's, switches, NAS/SAN etc.. they are noisy as hell. and built for not caring about sound as they are in a room noone access unless for maintenance. 

1 U, is the size of a "slot", as long as it fits in that slot it'll never be anything other than 1 U.. we used to call 1 U server pizza boxes.. as they are of similar size. regular full racks are either 42 U or 48U. although you get them half and quarter sized too... and wall mounted 4-12 U cases mostly for edge switches.. as they are HALF debth.. and always too short for a server. oh and no airflow.. atleast considerable less as they are supposed to support a switch or two and patch panels. ... and a router if it's crowded.. 

your picture is off a 1U drawer.. usually used to mount KVM monitor and keyboard inside.  too expensive if you want to use it as a shelf.. then you buy a shelf. 

so.. you'll boil both your systems in a wall rack like that. if you realy want your new system on the wall. use a wall mounted case that looks fancy. Like CoolMaster Masterframe 700 or similar. that should fit two radiators, and show off your GPU/RGB/ram hard lined water tubes and whatnot. 🙂

I dont plan on putting switches, UPSs and stuff like that, only the 2 systems and im thinking of making holes with extra fans (silent wings 2 ) for guided airflow ( i currently have 4 of them ). I would like to have the systems "packed" somewhere (preferably not visible) and maybe sometime in the future use acoustic panels in someway to eliminate the sound as much as i can. All the parts i will be using for the PCs will be standard consumer parts, not server ones.

Tech enthusiast from the land of dept ( Greece ) and casual overclocker. If it has a processor i will overclock it, monitor yes, my car's ecu yes, my brain... yes.

6 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

I dont plan on putting switches, UPSs and stuff like that, only the 2 systems and im thinking of making holes with extra fans (silent wings 2 ) for guided airflow ( i currently have 4 of them ). I would like to have the systems "packed" somewhere (preferably not visible) and maybe sometime in the future use acoustic panels in someway to eliminate the sound as much as i can. All the parts i will be using for the PCs will be standard consumer parts, not server ones.

the  more you pack and wall rack like that the less the air will flow..  it's ment for use in a closed room with noisy fans, and fanless switches if it's in a work environment. where noise could be a problem. 

you will probably find that it's too short.. or if you get two systems in there.. do you want to close the door?.  it will suffocate... and overheat. 

half the point with watercooling is showing it off.. atleast with hardline. so why a rack then? 

1 minute ago, Robchil said:

the  more you pack and wall rack like that the less the air will flow..  it's ment for use in a closed room with noisy fans, and fanless switches if it's in a work environment. where noise could be a problem. 

you will probably find that it's too short.. or if you get two systems in there.. do you want to close the door?.  it will suffocate... and overheat. 

well thats why i said maybe i should get a 6U one and have space between the systems to have more airflow

2 minutes ago, Robchil said:

half the point with watercooling is showing it off.. atleast with hardline. so why a rack then? 

uhm, i dont know, i always wanted to do hardline, not just for looks but i never got the chance. i just want a compact way to fit 2 systems inside a (preferable) single chassis. 

Just now, JewPacaBraZ said:

should get a 6U one and have space between the systems to have more airflow

like have 4 intake fans in the right side, 2 exhausts on the left side and 2 exhausts on top. 

1 hour ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

Hello guys,

That 4 U enclosure is not standard width, it's only 10". The 1u shelf is 19", it will not fit.

Also, 1u is extremely difficult to build a gaming PC into. You need server PSU, low profile coolers that rely on the room being AC cooled. 1u is 44mm.

This whole idea is not a great one. You'd be better off building two ITX systems if you want small.

13 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

like have 4 intake fans in the right side, 2 exhausts on the left side and 2 exhausts on top. 

i don't think you will be able to fit even that in a rack cabinet like that. looks at something like thermaltake Core 200 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EGBZA1C?tag=bgfg-pcguide-uk-21&geniuslink=true&th=1 this one is built for it. and you can probably wall mount it. ... if you want to. 

25 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

well thats why i said maybe i should get a 6U one and have space between the systems to have more airflow

uhm, i dont know, i always wanted to do hardline, not just for looks but i never got the chance. i just want a compact way to fit 2 systems inside a (preferable) single chassis. 

unless it's not for showing off.. don't use hardlines. as it's alot more hassle to service. noone that can avoid it does. even hiden parts of builds use soft tubing due to service hassle with hard tubing, it's ONLY to show off. 

37 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Core 200

its uhmmm very out of my budget lol, it is 450euros here in deptland(greece). Would you recommend something similar but more affordable?

26 minutes ago, Robchil said:

it's ONLY to show off

ok then i will go with soft tubing since i plan to have it hidden.

47 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

The 1u shelf is 19", it will not fit

Yeah i noticed after i posted, i just threw the idea using the parts i had in mind, i believe there is a 10" version.

I would like to have one case for both systems, something like the one Rob suggested

40 minutes ago, Robchil said:

this one is way out of budget tho

11 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

its uhmmm very out of my budget lol, it is 450euros here in deptland(greece). Would you recommend something similar but more affordable?

ok then i will go with soft tubing since i plan to have it hidden.

ohh.. kalimera.. .. i'm in norway altho never been to greece.. but cyprus a few times in my youth. 

well.. the problem with cases.. is they are expencive unless it's a massproduced midi tower.. anything out of the standard. blows up the price at there are fewer buyers. 

they are expencive unless it's a massproduced midi tower

thats why my first thought was a server rack with gaming PCs lmao

kalimera

kalimera to you too my friend : )

1 minute ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

thats why my first thought was a server rack with gaming PCs lmao

yeah.. slap enterprise in the name and it's 4x prices.. minimum. .. sadly.. 

2 minutes ago, Robchil said:

yeah.. slap enterprise in the name and it's 4x prices.. minimum. .. sadly.. 

ffs, i guess i might have to build my own case then, lots of aluminum sheets and a lot of wielding ig 

i found a full 19" rack of 6Us for 130euros
image.png.29459792698ec4c20f8cc2d564e2accc.png        I think it will do the job, with a lot of ventilation

I just need to find cheep shelves 

edit: found those for around 30eu
image.png.bc0ea211d1ba883755aefeb170b750b8.png

6 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

i found a full 19" rack of 6Us for 130euros
image.png.29459792698ec4c20f8cc2d564e2accc.png        I think it will do the job, with a lot of ventilation

I just need to find cheep shelves 

edit: found those for around 30eu
image.png.bc0ea211d1ba883755aefeb170b750b8.png

that's still a drawer.. as it's slidable..  shelf is fixed. 

you'll have to put that case sideways then.  it might be noisy with 4 small fans like that.. should be same on the other side.. the smaller fan the faster rpm.. not that i notice my 40x40mm that are running at 6000 rpm cooling my vrms's.. 🙂  but depends on the fans really.. 

11 minutes ago, Robchil said:

depends on the fans

the fans in question are bequiet's silent wings and they do be silent. 

I was looking at sliding shelves for maintenance maybe (?). Would you recommend fixed ones? They are cheaper as well.

11 minutes ago, Robchil said:

cooling my vrms's

I used to put a pentium4 heatsink (just the HS not the fan and mounting) on my VRM heatsink to take the heat away at somepoint lol

17 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

the fans in question are bequiet's silent wings and they do be silent. 

I was looking at sliding shelves for maintenance maybe (?). Would you recommend fixed ones? They are cheaper as well.

I used to put a pentium4 heatsink (just the HS not the fan and mounting) on my VRM heatsink to take the heat away at somepoint lol

depends on what you want.. cheap or practical. i would use a drawer to pull it all out, if the server was racked directly you wouldn't need it. since it would come with the sliding mechanism.  but those are almost twice the length of the rack you posted first here 🙂

my mainboard.. asus rog strix z390-e gaming, came with vrm fan. premounted heatsinks. 

but those are almost twice the length of the rack you posted first here

I did a bit of digging and i believe they will fit in the second one i posted.

I would like not to go very expensive on the whole thing cause there is also the GF approval factor

1 minute ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

I would like not to go very expensive on the whole thing cause there is also the GF approval factor

in a relationship.. i guess that's the most important one 😄 

35 minutes ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

I did a bit of digging and i believe they will fit in the second one i posted.

REally, why go rack though? Surely two decent cases would look much better than an industrial looking rack...

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

why go rack though?

its not about looks, i need a solution to have the computers out of the way and take as less space as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

industrial looking rack

If you take a look at the last rack i posted its pretty minimal, looks more like a small ventilated cabinet

1 hour ago, JewPacaBraZ said:

its not about looks, i need a solution to have the computers out of the way and take as less space as possible. 

If you take a look at the last rack i posted its pretty minimal, looks more like a small ventilated cabinet

Two small cases would take about the same space as a 6u rack. With the benefit of having proper mount points for motherboard, gpu, psu etc. And have proper cooling. How do you plan to mount the Motherboards and etc? Do you plan on just letting them flop around on the shelf?

39 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Two small cases would take about the same space as a 6u rack. With the benefit of having proper mount points for motherboard, gpu, psu etc. And have proper cooling. How do you plan to mount the Motherboards and etc? Do you plan on just letting them flop around on the shelf?

no, i was planning on getting stand-offs and such and make mountpoints ( even some shelves offer this by default ) also the rack would be hidden away and would be much easier to handle peripherals such as my 5port switch( normal we would have 2 ethernets going to each pc) but now they are compact inside the rack. Anyway to clarify further, i want a pretty easy solution, play around with some server grade stuff and make a dual pc in a "case" without selling my kindney for a core200. Also at some point i would like to have the pcs out of the room ( kinda like Linus has his ) since summer in greece is insufferable without AC and its pretty unefficient having the computers output heat in the room while we cool it. On the other hand we could "heat up" the room in the winter with the rack lmao ( i tried doing some ""mining"" in the winter and left it for 4-6 hours and the room got 4C-5C hotter which makes the difference between being cold and being comfy, or the other way around in the summer.

Small TLDR: I like server stuff, i want to be able to move THE system depending on the season and having more space in the small room we have.

Hope i didnt tire you