Anyone else having issues with Lian Li 216 RGB fans not functioning?

Sleezy407

I recently built my first PC with the Lian Li Lancool 216. Fantastic case but my biggest issue is that I purchased the RGB version but have no control over the RGB features of the included ARGB fans. I've triple checked to ensure they are installed correctly [both front fans connected to the included Fan/Led hub, and the hub plugging into mobo sys fan 1 and the LED 3pin connector plugged into a DLED1 port(I use a gigabyte mobo so the connector is labeled D_LED1)], but I still have no RGB control over them regardless of the software I use. I've tried RGB Fusion, L-Connect, even tried Mystic light and Asus Aura even though I have no MSI or Asus components in my build. Is anyone else having this issue with this case? When I contacted Lian Li and they said I had to buy the RGB controller to get the RGB lighting to function correctly, wanted to ask around before I believed them on that statement and bought the controller.

The really sad part is that you need to buy something that should have been included in the box with the case and fans.

On 2/28/2023 at 9:02 AM, MikadoWu said:

Good Morning from a fellow Lian Li 216 RGB User.

Every 216, is suppose to come with a FAN/RGB board.  It is located on the top on the cable side of the case. The Cables should already be pluged into it.  This board IS NOT a FAN/RGB Controller.  You are supposed to run the USB Cable from the board to your Motherboard and use your Motherboard software to control the Fans/RGB.  I connected the board up to my ASrock Z790 Taichi Carrara Motherboard and it worked like a champ.  Now.... I have moved on to using FAN/RGB Controller from NZXT that cam with my Water pump, and the fans are working great.  I have found that at 55% RPM give a lot of air flow and no noise, I do not even ramp them up until CPU temp with 70C degrees. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yeah I have that fan and RGB hub, the front 160s and rear 140 are plugged into it. Have no issues with controlling fan speed but no matter which software I use, I don't see an option to change the fan lighting. RGB Fusion is the gigabyte software, and it just doesn't work which is typical for gigabyte software. L-connect doesn't pick up anything for me, Mystic Light didn't work which makes sense, and Asus Aura didn't work which also makes sense as I have no products from either MSI or Asus in my build. Other than this fan lighting confusion I'm having, the case is amazing, and I'm positive this lighting issue is something I'm doing wrong.

10 hours ago, MikadoWu said:

Which Gigabyte board do you have and which RGB header are you using for the Fan/RGB Hub?  I have to open mine up this weekend to install a A770 card I am testing.  I will peak at the cables again.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX. I had the hub plugged in DLED_1 port located towards the bottom left of the mobo. I tried swapping over to the DLED_2 port which is next to the CPU fan header, but it didn't really change anything. Software still not detecting the fans for RGB control.

36 minutes ago, Sleezy407 said:

I'm currently using a Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX. I had the hub plugged in DLED_1 port located towards the bottom left of the mobo. I tried swapping over to the DLED_2 port which is next to the CPU fan header, but it didn't really change anything. Software still not detecting the fans for RGB control.

Are the LEDs light up at all?

Make sure you are not plugging the 3-pin ARGB connector from the hub the DLED_# header backwards.

The "Arrow" should be the +5v pin.

For both Motherboard <--> Fan Hub, and Fan(s) <--> Hub

image.thumb.png.e29f3e5504896aca46ab52929022750a.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

47 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Are the LEDs light up at all?

Make sure you are not plugging the 3-pin ARGB connector from the hub the DLED_# header backwards.

The "Arrow" should be the +5v pin.

For both Motherboard <--> Fan Hub, and Fan(s) <--> Hub

image.thumb.png.e29f3e5504896aca46ab52929022750a.png

Checked and can confirm they are plugged in correctly, the connectors even have one of the ports blocked off so it shouldn't be possible to plug them in incorrectly without damaging a pin I'd assume. At the moment, the fans do light up but are only white and no software that I've tried has even detected them, little less allowed me to adjust or customize anything. The fans show up in BIOS and I'm able to adjust fan speeds and curves there, but don't see options for LEDs.

1 hour ago, MikadoWu said:

Are you 100% sure you did not put the cable in LED_C1 first?  That could have popped the board.  Otherwise, I would do an RMA for the board with Lian Li.  Found a Reddit you may be interested in.

@Sleezy407 if you plugged the LED into the 4-pin +12v header first, you would have pushed +12v into something that takes +5v, and killed either the RGB hub or fans. Hopefully not the RGB controller on the motherboard.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Finally managed to get it working. Apparently there was a driver update that was found via the Gigabyte Control Center app. I'm still a little confused as to why it wasn't working initially since I installed every driver for this mobo that was listed on Gigabyte's website on the first boot after installing Windows. In the end, all that matters is that I finally got them working without having to buy the lian li fan controller, so I'm happy. Thanks for the help guys.