Markdown Support

ScottishTapWater
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

Unfortunately this is a fundamental limitation of the forum software, and not something we can do anything about.

I think at this point in time most technologically savvy people are switched on about markdown.

It's a far superior editing experience than the current rich-text way of doing things.

Heck, even Reddit has a markdown mode.

From a technological perspective, it's also very easy to implement, and I'd imagine uses fewer CPU cycles so should speed things up

I'd consider myself pretty technologically savvy, and I honestly do not believe I have ever used markdown in my life 😄

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd consider myself pretty technologically savvy, and I honestly do not believe I have ever used markdown in my life 😄

and I didn't even know what it was prior to googling it now.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

4 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

and I didn't even know what it was prior to googling it now.

To be clear, I'm not saying it shouldn't be added to the forum or that it's a bad thing, I've just never used it haha

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Okay... Maybe I've overestimated the reach of markdown from "Developers" to "Tech People"... My bad...

It's really fucking sweet though, makes it dead easy to format what you write without ever having to faff about clicking options and whatnot

Unfortunately this is a fundamental limitation of the forum software, and not something we can do anything about.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Ahh that's a shame...

Can't say I have ever heard of this software before today.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

this software

It's not really a piece of software. It's a (collection of closely related) lightweight markup standards, with multiple implementations out in the wild. Basically, you type:

This Is A Heading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* This is the first item in an un-numbered list

* This is the second item

Now, this is a normal paragraph! But let's add some *emphasis* to one of the words. Okay, now for some even **stronger emphasis!**

The page is rendered:

This Is A Heading!

• This is the first item in an un-numbered list
  • This is the second item

Now, this is a normal paragraph! But let's add some emphasis to one of the words. Okay, now for some even stronger emphasis!

Programmers love it because it's readable and editable in CLI and non-rich text editing environments, and because the plain-text source plays well with their revision control tools.

16 hours ago, sailsman63 said:

It's not really a piece of software. It's a (collection of closely related) lightweight markup standards, with multiple implementations out in the wild. Basically, you type:

The page is rendered:

This Is A Heading!

• This is the first item in an un-numbered list
  • This is the second item

Now, this is a normal paragraph! But let's add some emphasis to one of the words. Okay, now for some even stronger emphasis!

Programmers love it because it's readable and editable in CLI and non-rich text editing environments, and because the plain-text source plays well with their revision control tools.

Not to mention that there are some *very* quick and easy to implement renderers for it