[Request] Audio receiver recommendations

Hello fellow nerds / tech enthusiasts,

I'm looking for a good audio receiver / amp, I have have a budget of about $200 USD (though I'd prefer to pay less rather then more)

• The more inputs the better, I only need two or three
  • 5.1 or 7.1 would be kind of nice, but I only need two speakers
  • I'm fine with buying used, but I'd prefer a new one (though I'd totally buy a restored classic receiver)
  • It'd be cool to be able to switch between speaker sets, but it's not important
  • I don't need any optical or eARC ports as it probably won't be used with a tv, I use rca and some 1/4in headphone jacks
  • Bluetooth would be nice, but I really don't need it
  • 100 watts at 8 ohms is probably my sweet spot for power
  • Aesthetics are nice but not super important

I'm looking at the Sony STRDH190 (I'd probably buy an open box one), and the Yamaha R-S202BL

Thanks guys :)

I used to always buy Sony receivers but the last time I upgraded I went with Onkyo because they had more features and cost less than the equivalent Sony units.  I was upgrading to 4K and 7.2 surround so way over what you are looking for.  But maybe see what Onkyo has in your price range.  

As for the 2 listed, I'd probably go with the Yamaha.

Forget surround, you don't need it, go stereo. So much more bang for your buck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 11:02 PM, Agentseed said:

Hello fellow nerds / tech enthusiasts,

I'm looking for a good audio receiver / amp, I have have a budget of about $200 USD (though I'd prefer to pay less rather then more)

• The more inputs the better, I only need two or three
  • 5.1 or 7.1 would be kind of nice, but I only need two speakers
  • I'm fine with buying used, but I'd prefer a new one (though I'd totally buy a restored classic receiver)
  • It'd be cool to be able to switch between speaker sets, but it's not important
  • I don't need any optical or eARC ports as it probably won't be used with a tv, I use rca and some 1/4in headphone jacks
  • Bluetooth would be nice, but I really don't need it
  • 100 watts at 8 ohms is probably my sweet spot for power
  • Aesthetics are nice but not super important

I'm looking at the Sony STRDH190 (I'd probably buy an open box one), and the Yamaha R-S202BL

Thanks guys 🙂

It doesn't quite match your power spec, but I own the Yamaha RX-V385 and it's an excellent budget AVR.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v385_u/specs.html#product-tabs

It does 5.1, it has Bluetooth, and it does 70W at 8 ohms (20Hz-20kHz, 2Ch driven). It can do 100W at 8 ohms but only at 1kHz 1Ch driven. No, it does not have zones (What I assume you mean by "switching between speaker sets).

Aesthetics wise, it's pretty conservative, and looks like most traditional AVRs.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you're open to used... I've found Denon x3200W and x3300W on craigslist for around $200 (try to get the remote + microphone, both cost stupid amounts if you don't get them). These will run circles around most things in the $200 or less categories. They offer auto-room correction and active crossovers for the subwoofer, work with entertainment systems, etc. 

If that or similar isn't readily found (it can take a while) then...

----

Fosi BT30D for $70ish. 

Has bluetooth. Not "the best" for audio quality but if you're not doing $300+ speakers and room treatment this probably won't matter. 

On 3/4/2023 at 11:53 AM, Alexander77 said:

Forget surround, you don't need it, go stereo. So much more bang for your buck.

This will depend.

GOOD 2 channel will beat poorly done 5 channel, but there is an element of immersiveness that's nice when budget allows. I'm more or less maxed out at 11 channels now. There's a non-trivial difference between 11 vs 5 vs 2 when watching movies. It matters less for most music. 

The L+R channels matter the most. If you aren't targeting a large "sweet spot" you probably don't need a center channel (maybe place the L+R a bit closer together), the side, back and ceiling speakers don't necessarily need to be "great" either, usually just not bad. 

Definitely a much higher cost threshold though. $1000 will get you a pretty AWESOME 2.1 set up. $1000 BARELY gets you started with 5.1.  

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 3/21/2023 at 12:58 PM, cmndr said:

If you're open to used... I've found Denon x3200W and x3300W on craigslist for around $200 (try to get the remote + microphone, both cost stupid amounts if you don't get them). These will run circles around most things in the $200 or less categories. They offer auto-room correction and active crossovers for the subwoofer, work with entertainment systems, etc. 

If that or similar isn't readily found (it can take a while) then...

----

Fosi BT30D for $70ish. 

Has bluetooth. Not "the best" for audio quality but if you're not doing $300+ speakers and room treatment this probably won't matter. 

This will depend.

GOOD 2 channel will beat poorly done 5 channel, but there is an element of immersiveness that's nice when budget allows. I'm more or less maxed out at 11 channels now. There's a non-trivial difference between 11 vs 5 vs 2 when watching movies. It matters less for most music. 

The L+R channels matter the most. If you aren't targeting a large "sweet spot" you probably don't need a center channel (maybe place the L+R a bit closer together), the side, back and ceiling speakers don't necessarily need to be "great" either, usually just not bad. 

Definitely a much higher cost threshold though. $1000 will get you a pretty AWESOME 2.1 set up. $1000 BARELY gets you started with 5.1.  

I have a full 5 (no sub) set of decent Panasonic speakers from the early 2000s, so I just think it would nice to have a receiver that can drive them

Be aware that the intuition for what is "decent" often varies from the reality. 
Today I'd argue that a "decent" set of speakers starts at $200-250ish on sale (better engineering has cut production costs). 20 years ago "decent" would've been $500 (at the time of purchase) and probably closer to $1000 for a 5 piece set. Not adjusted for inflation. 

There's a good chance that your speakers are perfectly usable, but I wouldn't use them for the front Left+Right (and possibly center) unless your goal is to minimize spend (not necessarily a bad goal). 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800