4690k vs 5600x cpu for non gaming

i already know the difference between the CPU's for gaming use.  Whicm pushes me to get one, as i have a 3060ti.  HOWEVER, i dont NEED it need it, as 99% of my gaming needs are met.  Even though i'm being bottle necked hard, i'm still hitting 60FPS on my games, and my monitor is limited to 60hz, and my beat saber still works great. 

HOWEVER, my pc is also shared with my gf.  We both do a lot of web browsing, as well as open up numerous google sheets, tabs, and other stuff.  We dont have any real issues now, but it is, not fast.  Like, for me, i have a chome bookmark folder that would open up 10 tabs instantly, and does take a while to load them all.

Would a newer CPU with m.2 substantially increase the speed of our PC?  The upgrade is also for windows 11 use case, as for 2025, windows 10 security updates will not be maintained.  I haven't used a newer pc, only my dell latitude for work with an 8th gen i5, but its a laptop cpu, so, despite it does do certain things faster, its pretty much the same speed as my desktop. 

Or, i might as well wait.  I'm just seeing a lot of nice discounts these days.  Also, the side benefit for me with upgrade is higher framerates on Warzone 2, but its not my main game anyways, and i'm still hitting 60fps, but i will hit low 30's at some points. 

If you need tons of Chrome tabs open you need RAM (16GB+), not specifically a faster CPU

A M2 can help loading stuff quickly, way faster than a HDD but is not much faster than a SSD

A 6C/12T 5600X will be a significant upgrade to an old 4C/4T 4690K, esp. because the 4690K don't have hyperthreading, you immediately fill the CPU with not much stuff

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

If you are looking to upgrade from a 4690k to a Ryzen, you are going to have to make a whole new build as they have different CPU slots. You would need to upgrade to a different intel CPU if you don't want to build a whole other pc. 

Also, @PDifolco is correct, if you are seeing slowdown with chrome tabs its more likely a ram issue over CPU and upgrading to a faster CPU is not going to do much in terms of speeding that up. 

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

The 5600x will demolish the 4690k in productivity and multiple tabs open use. 

is there a video for this?  i kinda want to see how much faster.  all i see is gaming benchmarks and FPS differences. 

7 minutes ago, never_here said:

is there a video for this?  i kinda want to see how much faster.  all i see is gaming benchmarks and FPS differences. 

They are so far apart that no real benchmarking site is comparing them I think.

... synthetic benchmarks also show a great difference.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

If you need tons of Chrome tabs open you need RAM (16GB+), not specifically a faster CPU

A M2 can help loading stuff quickly, way faster than a HDD but is not much faster than a SSD

A 6C/12T 5600X will be a significant upgrade to an old 4C/4T 4690K, esp. because the 4690K don't have hyperthreading, you immediately fill the CPU with not much stuff

oh, i already have 16GB of ram, SSD 870 PRO 250GB OS, mx500 1tb as game drive.  The google sheets generally run slower, also because we have lots of data i guess.  And wow, i always thought i had Hyperthreading, haha... ops.

m.2 with a dram cache is massively faster than even dram sata ssd. Most people dont see the benefit for some reason because it is very subtle, but it is a great addition.
other benefits would be faster ram and cache which do help a bit with general usability.

but all that being said the differences are subtle and probably not worth the money for now. the 4690k is way more cpu than you need for web browsing. I'd just skip till at the very least ryzen 7000 series or wait till your needs change.

Just now, OhYou_ said:

m.2 with a dram cache is massively faster than even dram sata ssd. Most people dont see the benefit for some reason because it is very subtle, but it is a great addition.
other benefits would be faster ram and cache which do help a bit with general usability.

but all that being said the differences are subtle and probably not worth the money for now. the 4690k is way more cpu than you need for web browsing. I'd just skip till at the very least ryzen 7000 series or wait till your needs change.

ya, i read that m.2 is massively faster.  on a macbook, you can see the difference pretty easily.  What i hate now, is that i cant find a local shop that has window PC's with good internet connected.  Apple stores just seem like apple devices are MASSIVELY better because, they are in working condition, with apps you can actually test the hardware with. 
Windows pcs just have nothing, it frustrates me.  I gota say, its the one reason why i like apple stores.  you can legit USE their devices before having to buy it

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

They are so far apart that no real benchmarking site is comparing them I think.

this is one of the issues.  I can see a lot of benefits of a new cpu for obvious reasons.  But, without a clear comparison, its, hard to see.  Gamer Nexus did a good video on this, but its also hard to actually see it.  Unlike lets say, iphone speed tests vs samsung speedtests, you can visually see, its like, wowwww, its the same speed almost. 

I kinda wana see how a 5600x or newer cpu handles general tasks.  

7 minutes ago, never_here said:

But, without a clear comparison, its, hard to see.

you cant show a clear comparison because there is no difference. It is something you can maybe feel a slight difference if you're the one there using it, but otherwise it's whatever.

Maybe there would be a slight difference in some sites if you have a 10gb/s connection to the internet but otherwise eh.
I end up using a large spread of computers at my work every day with massively varying performance and past the point of like kaby lake laptops there's just no difference at all for stuff like office online, sharepoint, outlook, random websites, installing programs, general office use.

No one is going to talk about it because you cant sell people on new hardware that does nothing for them.

Just now, OhYou_ said:

No one is going to talk about it because you cant sell people on new hardware that does nothing for them.

i guess.  feel like non-gamers and production people can use any computer at this point.  I just want to see if theres a noticeable improvement from getting an upgrade other than like 60more fps on my games. 

Intel security fixes really screw over those generation of chips in even daily tasks like windows updates.

I would update for those alone.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Chrome felt faster for me upgrading to an i5-12400F from my old Haswell Xeon E3-1231v3 (it's an i7-4790 without an ipu) despite both systems running with 16GB of RAM. The Xeon with 16GB DDR3-2400 and the 12400F with 16GB DDR4-3200, both 2x8GB kits in dual channel. I usually have 20+ tabs open. Then again for all I know it could have been from having 8 year old thermal paste on my Xeon.

3 hours ago, never_here said:

i already know the difference between the CPU's for gaming use.  Whicm pushes me to get one, as i have a 3060ti.  HOWEVER, i dont NEED it need it, as 99% of my gaming needs are met.  Even though i'm being bottle necked hard, i'm still hitting 60FPS on my games, and my monitor is limited to 60hz, and my beat saber still works great. 

HOWEVER, my pc is also shared with my gf.  We both do a lot of web browsing, as well as open up numerous google sheets, tabs, and other stuff.  We dont have any real issues now, but it is, not fast.  Like, for me, i have a chome bookmark folder that would open up 10 tabs instantly, and does take a while to load them all.

Would a newer CPU with m.2 substantially increase the speed of our PC?  The upgrade is also for windows 11 use case, as for 2025, windows 10 security updates will not be maintained.  I haven't used a newer pc, only my dell latitude for work with an 8th gen i5, but its a laptop cpu, so, despite it does do certain things faster, its pretty much the same speed as my desktop. 

Or, i might as well wait.  I'm just seeing a lot of nice discounts these days.  Also, the side benefit for me with upgrade is higher framerates on Warzone 2, but its not my main game anyways, and i'm still hitting 60fps, but i will hit low 30's at some points. 

The 5600x will blow the doors off a 4690k. That cpu is like 10 years old. Even in basic web browsing it will be faster.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

I went from a 3770K to a 5600X. The 5600X is the better CPU by far, for everything.

Its probably more power efficient too 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

You can try and take a look at this one.  In their benchmark productivity tests from a different video, the 5600x is essentially trading punches with the 10700k.  So substitute 5600x for 10700K and you have a general idea of the differences.