Best thing to use to stain and seal a wooden desk top?

Shzzit

Just got a 72x39. 1.5” thick burcherblock, was wondering if I need to seal it or anything to prevent bowing. 

I think I wanna use espresso stain, but not sure what brand is good.  

So if I need to seal it what do I use? 

I have never worked with wood so it’s all new to me.

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

Darn, no one knows about wood working?  Guess I’ll try some YouTube tutorials. 

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

14 minutes ago, Shzzit said:

Darn, no one knows about wood working?  Guess I’ll try some YouTube tutorials. 

J2C has done a few videos where he deals with woodworking and desk DIY if you want to check those out:

Stain it with Minwax, then coat with a clear polyurethane. Thin your first coat of poly down with mineral spirits; that will help it soak into the wood.

Do not shake the can of poly in an attempt to mix it! You'll just put air bubbles into it, which will leave little pockmarks in the finish.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Nice thanks all I’ll check out those videos.

And I’ll check out poly coating.

it’s slightly stained with espresso color, should I add more coats?

Man I’m very exited, been using a fold out table and it’s a pile of crap. 

I don't know woodworking, but my wooden desk was only treated with some kind of oil and nothing else.

The area of it that my arms touch is tiny bit darker, and little bit more shiny than the rest, but other than that its totally fine. Have had it for years.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, Shzzit said:

it’s slightly stained with espresso color, should I add more coats?

Going over top of stain again will make it darker. Sometimes this is needed anyways when staining something to achieve the desired color.   (Assuming it's not sealed with something already to prevent the stain from soaking in).

You mentioned "to prevent bowing" staining and polyurethane it will make it look nicer and seal it to help prevent water damage, but the top must be properly supported to prevent bowing. The finish doesn't do anything for this.

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

Going over top of stain again will make it darker. Sometimes this is needed anyways when staining something to achieve the desired color.   (Assuming it's not sealed with something already to prevent the stain from soaking in).

You mentioned "to prevent bowing" staining and polyurethane it will make it look nicer and seal it to help prevent water damage, but the top must be properly supported to prevent bowing. The finish doesn't do anything for this.

You are amazing man, thank you so much for all the vital information.  

The first one that arrived was split down the middle which was unfortunate.  What made it worse was when I ordered it online, said in stock 1 hour pick up.  Well 9 days later it finally arrived at the store for pick up. But it was split down the middle.  Hoping this next one im picking up tomorrow is in perfect condition. 

About the bowing, i just didnt know if the wood would dry out or something and warp.  So if its just up to me mounting it right then thats good. I will be mounting it to this desk frame, seems ok. 

51EltdZstzS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

4 hours ago, Shzzit said:

You are amazing man, thank you so much for all the vital information.  

The first one that arrived was split down the middle which was unfortunate.  What made it worse was when I ordered it online, said in stock 1 hour pick up.  Well 9 days later it finally arrived at the store for pick up. But it was split down the middle.  Hoping this next one im picking up tomorrow is in perfect condition. 

About the bowing, i just didnt know if the wood would dry out or something and warp.  So if its just up to me mounting it right then thats good. I will be mounting it to this desk frame, seems ok. 

51EltdZstzS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They are most likely made to not bow if you don't do anything specific to it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking