CPU Cores fluctuations when idle

ItIsILeSteve

Hi,

my laptop is constantly putting my fans into work. Althoug I'm not doing anything.

When I look at my CPU usage it is mostly idle.

Eventhough it is idle my CPU cores are jumping from 1000 MHz to 4000 MHz.

CPU temps are around 65°C - 70°C with peaks up to 87°C (when working with my laptop).

I attached here a video that can see these fluctuations.

It is an Intel Core i7 9th gen.

I'm running Windows 11 Pro.

Does anybody have any advice what I can do to prevent these fluctuations?

I know that this is normal when you are doing stuff but when in idle I don't suppose it should do this.

kind regards,

Steve

Did you try to scan for any viruses or other malicious files? Unusual cpu activity could be a sign of a virus hogging resources. Can you post more details with Performance Monitor and check if theres anything unusual there?

Also try boot into safe mode and see if it still does this.

Edited by WackySpace

1 hour ago, ItIsILeSteve said:

Hi,

my laptop is constantly putting my fans into work. Althoug I'm not doing anything.

When I look at my CPU usage it is mostly idle.

Eventhough it is idle my CPU cores are jumping from 1000 MHz to 4000 MHz.

CPU temps are around 65°C - 70°C with peaks up to 87°C (when working with my laptop).

I attached here a video that can see these fluctuations.

It is an Intel Core i7 9th gen.

I'm running Windows 11 Pro.

Does anybody have any advice what I can do to prevent these fluctuations?

I know that this is normal when you are doing stuff but when in idle I don't suppose it should do this.

kind regards,

Steve

This could be just Windows doing background tasks, logging, indexing, applying updates, optimising memory and pagefile usage and a whole lot of other idle time tasks.

If you want to see what is going on then you can download the Sysinternal suite (available on the MS Store or the main website), it is free and around 100MB in size, there are two apps in particular, Process Explorer and Process Monitor that show you in real time everything that is happening on your system.

Set some filters for what you want to monitor such as disk read/ writes (Explorer processes) and/ or Registry access to track down what is using the idle time to perform tasks.

There are some decent guides on tech forums for using these utilities, tenforums & elevenforums for example.

Thanks for the tips.

I have SysInternal Suite installed. I'll try to find out if I see anything suspicious.