Dual GPU?

Qtip1318

I’m a sim racer and a hardcore fps gamer and I’m trying to figure out the best way to set up my set up. Would it work for me to put my 3 screens on my sim rig and my one main screen on my gaming pc on one gpu and use a second gpu to see discord and what one on 2 different screens.

So 5 or 6 screens in total? Ideally, use GPUs that work with the same driver version. Alternatively, depending on the CPU, you could also use its iGPU to get additional screens if it has one.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

36 minutes ago, Qtip1318 said:

I’m a sim racer and a hardcore fps gamer and I’m trying to figure out the best way to set up my set up. Would it work for me to put my 3 screens on my sim rig and my one main screen on my gaming pc on one gpu and use a second gpu to see discord and what one on 2 different screens.

Realistically you won't see that much of an improvement using two GPUs just to have extra monitors running. Screens are not that GPU intensive to run, it's only doing things like hardware encode/decode (think Discord streams or youtube videos) that are really gonna be a performance hit.

If you're paranoid then yes, two GPUs would work, I at one point had a 1050ti and 3060ti in the same rig at the same time in a similar setup when I used to mine. You won't need much for the second screen though, you could get away with a much lower power card like a 1650/3050/whatever suits your budget

32 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Ideally, use GPUs that work with the same driver version.

If you're using two GPUs of the same brand this will be an issue and something you have to be careful for. A 1050ti would suit you great here but when its driver phases out you won't be able to update your graphics driver on your main GPU and use your older card concurrently. Unsure if this works cross-brand but also unsure if windows would throw a fit having two separate manufacturers running cards in the same system either.

TL;DR This setup isn't as worth it as you think it is. It is possible with some limitations that may crop up over time, of course with the limiters being how much trouble you're willing to put yourself through to get it working and how much you're willing to spend

37 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Alternatively, depending on the CPU, you could also use its iGPU to get additional screens if it has one.

This too, if you have an Intel CPU just re-enable the iGPU in your BIOS and you can use your motherboard's display outputs for your monitors (you can split up your display ports into two separate displays if you don't have enough). This is the easiest way assuming you have it. I'm sure AMD's G-line of CPUs can do this too but I'm not familiar with the process

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

nvida locks there gpu to 3 ports  for gaming.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, mr cheese said:

Realistically you won't see that much of an improvement using two GPUs just to have extra monitors running.

True. But most consumer GPUs don't support more than 3-4 screens at a time. The setup sounds like it is using 6 screens, so multiple GPUs would be needed.

4 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

True. But most consumer GPUs don't support more than 3-4 screens at a time. The setup sounds like it is using 6 screens, so multiple GPUs would be needed.

or a dedacted gpu that has 6 ports.. i know they make them.. but it been year that i look at one.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

12 hours ago, mr cheese said:

Realistically you won't see that much of an improvement using two GPUs just to have extra monitors running. Screens are not that GPU intensive to run, it's only doing things like hardware encode/decode (think Discord streams or youtube videos) that are really gonna be a performance hit.

If you're paranoid then yes, two GPUs would work, I at one point had a 1050ti and 3060ti in the same rig at the same time in a similar setup when I used to mine. You won't need much for the second screen though, you could get away with a much lower power card like a 1650/3050/whatever suits your budget

If you're using two GPUs of the same brand this will be an issue and something you have to be careful for. A 1050ti would suit you great here but when its driver phases out you won't be able to update your graphics driver on your main GPU and use your older card concurrently. Unsure if this works cross-brand but also unsure if windows would throw a fit having two separate manufacturers running cards in the same system either.

TL;DR This setup isn't as worth it as you think it is. It is possible with some limitations that may crop up over time, of course with the limiters being how much trouble you're willing to put yourself through to get it working and how much you're willing to spend

This too, if you have an Intel CPU just re-enable the iGPU in your BIOS and you can use your motherboard's display outputs for your monitors (you can split up your display ports into two separate displays if you don't have enough). This is the easiest way assuming you have it. I'm sure AMD's G-line of CPUs can do this too but I'm not familiar with the process

I dont have an iGPU so i have to use a different gpu my dad has an old 960 at home that i was planing on using i just want it for have web pages and discord up i have been using 3 screen on my main gaming pc for over 8 years now and i cant go down to just one. i also know if i dont find a way to get this to work i wont ever use my simrig because it will be to much to set it up just to take it down the next day.

1 hour ago, dogwitch said:

or a dedacted gpu that has 6 ports.. i know they make them.. but it been year that i look at one.

windows only lets you use 4 screens on one gpu no matter how many ports you have

2 hours ago, Qtip1318 said:

windows only lets you use 4 screens on one gpu no matter how many ports you have

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-connect-and-set-multiple-monitors-windows-10

10 hours ago, Qtip1318 said:

That's a hardware limitation, not a Windows one. Here's an example of an (old) consumer GPU that can drive six monitors: https://www.techgeartalk.com/6-monitor-setup-tutorial/

This RX 6800 XT also supports up to 6 monitors, but you'll need to use an MST hub (see "key features")

10 hours ago, Qtip1318 said:

my dad has an old 960 at home that i was planing on using

As long as the latest driver still supports the 960 and your current GPU, you're fine. Once support gets dropped you'll either need to stay on an older driver version or replace it with a newer card.

• 4 weeks later...

Will have 2 GPUs make my fps lower in game then if I only have one?

3 minutes ago, Qtip1318 said:

Will have 2 GPUs make my fps lower in game then if I only have one?

No. there will be basically no change.

I have both an RTX a4000 and RTX 3050 in my PC, and the 3050 being disabled or not changes nothing in terms of gameplay or frame rates.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒