Mac Pro 3,1 SAS Connector Broke, New Storage Solution Needed

Aremis

Hello.  I have been putting an unreasonable amount of time into optimizing a mac pro to stream at full res using GPU's to cover what the CPU's can't do and just as I got everything tightened up I broke the damn SAS/Sata breakout on the board.  Due to the nature of the project I am doing, I want to use this machine no matter what.

I think I realistically I have 2 options that I like, and a 3rd option that I will be forced to do if I want to continue using this machine, but I want to see if anyone has an idea.

1.  New machine.  Either a new 3,1, a 4/5 chassis, or just a new workstation altogether, which compared to what I have will be expensive (Twin proc, 64GB ram)

2.  A sata/esata controller, or a nvme / sata combo board.  If I want to use my HDD's I have, I think probably esata is best because IDK how to use the internal cable and I can't find an NVME + Sata breakout board.  Or even an m.2 sata breakout at a right angle (so that I can use the SAS cable in the mac pro).  But  I can run a cable to the sketch AF internal sata ports and get a 2TB Sata and my NVME and use something like refit on a USB

3.  Go all NVME, which if I do anything major with files I will end up freezing the machine until the file actions are done (nature of fsb), which will really be a bitch during a stream if I have to download anything.

4.  Get a new machine anyways and hang this one up till the port can be physically repaired, then go back when it is actually repaired

2 sounds kinda ok but the internal plastics are stupidly brittle.  I'm going to a recycle center in the morning to see what I can find, but IDK if anything will be high availability enough resource wise to actually keep up with what I am doing.  Believe it or not I can stream full resolution 30 or 60 FPS at a full connection speed to twitch playing stuff and doing cameras with effects.  I was shocked.  I still had headroom too, so rather than get something new I'd rather keep this and bankroll it.

Wat do

i'm not too wel versed on macs, but the connector is just miniSAS 8087, why don't you pickup a LSI controller or something from ebay? that should be cheap and you could keep using the cables you already have.

7 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i'm not too wel versed on macs, but the connector is just miniSAS 8087, why don't you pickup a LSI controller or something from ebay? that should be cheap and you could keep using the cables you already have.

cable length, lane issues, GPU size

If I put my 290 in the last slot it blocks the HDD bays and is on 4X only.  Unless you have an idea where I can get an 8087 controller with an nvme slot

How did you break it? 

If it's just breaking part of the connector, you could potentially fix it by desoldering the connector and installing another connector .. any computer service (and quite a few places that repair smartphones)  that can do component level repairs should be able to desolder the connector and install another one, from a raid card with same connector for example. 

If you broke pads on the circuit board (ex by ripping the connector completely off the board) then it's more difficult or impossible. 

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

How did you break it? 

If it's just breaking part of the connector, you could potentially fix it by desoldering the connector and installing another connector .. any computer service (and quite a few places that repair smartphones)  that can do component level repairs should be able to desolder the connector and install another one, from a raid card with same connector for example. 

If you broke pads on the circuit board (ex by ripping the connector completely off the board) then it's more difficult or impossible. 

I can't get a close enough image of the pads to see tbh but its not in the machine