Questions about compatibly between ram and motherboard/cpu

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 hour ago, DasAli said:

For context, I have been buying parts one at a time whenever i found good prices.

Generally this is not a good idea, prices overall trend downwards overtime so you usually end up either getting a better system overall buy just buying at the end. Best case scenario with this is you save ~$20-30 (in the grand scheme of a $1000+ computer that's nothing), and the more normal scenario is you end up overpaying by the time you built everything even though you got a deal at the time. 

1 hour ago, DasAli said:

I just got the motherboard and I'm planning on getting the ram and cpu within the next week or so.

Return it and get something else. Unless you actually managed to get it for something really cheap (I'm talking less than ~$300 CAD for the board, CPU, and RAM together), 11th gen makes absolutely no sense to buy. First off, Intel has discontinued it so actually getting a CPU means that it's going to be a new old stock chip or used. Second, it's been beaten in both performance and cost by 12th and 13th gen Intel. If you can get it for really cheap on a clearance sale it might make a little bit of sense, but having looked at 11th gen sale prices the odds of that are slim to none.

Anyway, to answer your main question, yes XMP will let you go past that value. Z490 supports memory overclocking. If you were on say a B460 board that doesn't support memory overclocking, then you would be limited to the CPU's official maximum spec of 3200MT/s. Still doesn't matter though, you should return that board and get something that can support a current generation CPU (last gen CPUs only occasionally make economic sense outside of the used market).

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, AutoCAD work

Other details: My planned parts list included: aorus ultra Z490i, i5-11600k, MSI Ventus rtx 3060 12gb, and 16gb corsair vengeance pro rgb 3600mhz / cl18. 

This is my first time posting here, and I was looking for some help. 

For context, I have been buying parts one at a time whenever i found good prices. I just got the motherboard and I'm planning on getting the ram and cpu within the next week or so. After reading my motherboards manual, it seems like the motherboard with the i5 cpu i was going to get only supports a max of 2666 mhz, and the cpu supports a max of 3200 mhz. 

So, If i was to go with the planed 3600 mhz kit, would i be able to use xmp and get the full 3600 mhz or would i be limited to the max speeds of the cpu / motherboard? Any other hardware suggestions or recommendations are welcome as well.

Ive attached a screenshot form the manual, and some of the cpu specs that might be helpful. 

Screenshot_20230219_013505.png

Screenshot_20230219_013523.png

Edited by DasAli
Forgot to include tags

1 hour ago, DasAli said:

For context, I have been buying parts one at a time whenever i found good prices.

Generally this is not a good idea, prices overall trend downwards overtime so you usually end up either getting a better system overall buy just buying at the end. Best case scenario with this is you save ~$20-30 (in the grand scheme of a $1000+ computer that's nothing), and the more normal scenario is you end up overpaying by the time you built everything even though you got a deal at the time. 

1 hour ago, DasAli said:

I just got the motherboard and I'm planning on getting the ram and cpu within the next week or so.

Return it and get something else. Unless you actually managed to get it for something really cheap (I'm talking less than ~$300 CAD for the board, CPU, and RAM together), 11th gen makes absolutely no sense to buy. First off, Intel has discontinued it so actually getting a CPU means that it's going to be a new old stock chip or used. Second, it's been beaten in both performance and cost by 12th and 13th gen Intel. If you can get it for really cheap on a clearance sale it might make a little bit of sense, but having looked at 11th gen sale prices the odds of that are slim to none.

Anyway, to answer your main question, yes XMP will let you go past that value. Z490 supports memory overclocking. If you were on say a B460 board that doesn't support memory overclocking, then you would be limited to the CPU's official maximum spec of 3200MT/s. Still doesn't matter though, you should return that board and get something that can support a current generation CPU (last gen CPUs only occasionally make economic sense outside of the used market).

Congrats on trying to make a pc! There are a lot of variables and weird ways parts work together, sometimes not at all. Pc part picker is a pretty good site to see if the parts you are going for will have compatibility issues.

Such as; incorrect cpu to mobo, unsupported ram, or dimensional issues of case to gpu. Also a decent place to see prices on gear if you are checking out a build too!

Best of luck from a first time builder to another first time builder!