New phone, need help please

Voidzik

Hey my phone is Samsung S10+ i have it for like 3 years+ and I am looking for new phone but I'm not sure what to pick, i was thought about getting used Iphone 12 mini since I could buy it for cheaper or mid range android phones (redmi or note or anything for about 350-400€ max) but I'm not sure what it's worth. My S10+ is in still good condition but battery is very bad and have to recharge it 2 times a day. 

11 minutes ago, Voidzik said:

still good condition but battery is very bad and have to recharge it 2 times a day

Replace it. A shop will do that for about 50$

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A decent suggestion, but often these are new old stock, sitting on shelves since the original model was made

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

9 minutes ago, OddOod said:

A decent suggestion, but often these are new old stock, sitting on shelves since the original model was made

if it improves it enough to keep the phone then the job has been done.

i personally just bought an s23 ultra and love it

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I don't want to replace the battery. I don't trust these guys.

15 hours ago, Voidzik said:

I mean it's that or a used iphone 12 which most likely wont have much better battery life or a android that is basically just your s10 again at best but with a fresh battery

On 2/17/2023 at 8:55 PM, Voidzik said:

Do it yourself? I've replaced batteries for a fair amount of phones and all you really need is a battery, a new back with glue on it and that iFixIt kit with a vacuum puller and the heat jelly. Some $50 for parts and I bough my kit for about $20~ that I can keep using.

The one I use: iOpener 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

On 2/17/2023 at 2:55 PM, Voidzik said:

I know this is likely a dead post, but could you elaborate? You don't trust those guys? This is not a take I've ever heard before.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Yeah, and I don't think you want my opinion about your unfounded opinion of repair shops.

Even if you buy a five year old battery, if it was stored at around 75% charge or less, it will be totally fine.  And it won't have many charging cycles on it.  My battery (in my device from aroud 2016) has over  1,500  charging cycles.

You can check this by downloading a linux command processor for android. I use termux and you have to do a "change directory" and get into a certain directory.

cd /sys/class/power_supply/battery

hasn't worked for me.
cd /
cd sys
cd class
cd power_supply
cd battery

Now, to read the values of these hidden files, you use the "concatonate" (whatever that means) or cat coomand.

First though, you'll want (I hope) to see what the available metrics are there.

ls

cat batt_capacity_max

Mine say it's under 1000, so maybe a third of original capacity

cat battery_cycle

This tells you how many charges (no matter the duration) the battery has.  Mine is over 1500, I wonder what capacity and number of cycles is reported by your battery.

cat health

Mine reports good.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

With all the Google telemetry on Android, I strongly advise you to switch to an iPhone.

Reasons

• No Google tracking in iOS
  • Gauraenteed six years of security and bug fixes for each new device released.
  • Safari web browser on iOS (mobile) has a bit over 23% use vs Google Chrome's 64% use on mobile, and desktop.  Let's help stave off total Google dominance--they're already in our schools data-mining our education system
  • Tracking protection built into iOS, works so easily, Facebook lost billions of dollars with just the tap of a screen!  Go Apple!
  • $69 battery replacements from Apple repair services, not some random repair shop trying to run a successful business
  • Battery management built into the entire device.  No bootup until 15% when off, and now the ability to limit charge to 80%!
  • GPS-based calling and texting (they did it!) automatically enabled when out of range of both WLAN and Cellular
  • Why would anyone go with peice of shit android with all these features?

Now, if you want to block google telemetry domains, or at the minimum, see them loading and connecting for yourself there are two options

Download RethinkDNS (firewall, dns logger, and dns director, all in one, free as in beer, and free as in freedom)

Soon there will be an update to block domains directly on-device!  If you can't wait, get the software anyways and while you eagerly await this incredible development, go setup a nextdns.io account.

That can also be used by the firewall / dns program, and you'll get dns logs on device, and in the cloud!  You can deny any website you want, including all the crap on android devices.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.