Producing the Best Airflow in Corsair iCUE 5000x RGB Mid-Tower ATX Case

RevGAM

I understand from a few videos that neutral airflow is best to reduce dust buildup, but is it also the best for cooling? I haven't seen that mentioned and, since I prefer my PC to run cool 馃崸, I thought I'd ask this question first. So, is it positive or neutral? Based on my own body, I'd say positive because static airflow leads to heat buildup, hence that standing fan that keeps me cool all summer, along with my case (window) fan. 馃ぃ

My current configuration inside the case:

i7-12700k

ASUS T.G. H670 Pro wifi D4

Patriot Viper Steel 2x32GB DDR4 UDIMMs

Noctua U12A CPU cooler

XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT VC

Corsair RM850x PSU

(2) 1TB M.2 PCIe 4x4 NVMe SSDs

(1) 6TB Seagate Expansion HDD (drive removed from broken casing and put inside a HDD bay in the 5000x)

The fans (other than the U12A and the VC):

Front: (2) Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC 3,000 RPM, (1) Corsair stock RGB - the iPPCs are here because Noctua said that would be the best place

Right: (3) Corsair ML120

Top: (2) Corsair stock RGB

Back: (1) Noctua NF-120x25, which is in line with the U12A's fans

Does this seem to be the best configuration? If not, do you have any recommendations? I'm also considering adding 1 more fan - either a Fractal Design or Arctic to compare with.

663987866_20230217_0524461.thumb.jpg.179f8624382d92cd2c1a65dfa2bd03b2.jpg

Thanks for your input!

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀

53 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

聽since I prefer my PC to run cool 馃崸,聽

Then You shouldn't gotten This case The best way will be getting 5000D and slapping ARGB fans to it. You basically have little to no airflow in the front so 3 front intake 3 Top intake and 1 Exhaust at the back will prob the best solution now聽

18 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

Then You shouldn't gotten This case The best way will be getting 5000D and slapping ARGB fans to it. You basically have little to no airflow in the front so 3 front intake 3 Top intake and 1 Exhaust at the back will prob the best solution now聽

Yeah, well, that's what happens when you trust a friend who won't admit he doesn't know as much about PCs as he does about his corporate IT job. Had I known at the time that he was not knowledgeable, I would certainly have gotten something else.

ARGB fans are unnecessary.

The airflow in the front AND top are restricted by the removable glass plates. However, I can't remove the front one in case our cat decides it's a scratching post.

I asked for best airflow advice for what I have, not what I don't, and it sounds like you're suggesting that I remove the 3 fans from the right side, and create a very strongly positive airflow, correct?

Edit: why would I want intake on the top, thus fighting the convection current?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Yeah, well, that's what happens when you trust a friend who won't admit he doesn't know as much about PCs as he does about his corporate IT job. Had I known at the time that he was not knowledgeable, I would certainly have gotten something else.

Always ask for 2nd and 3rd opinon on a recommendation in the tech space especially when its your money. Yes, that includes myself.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

The fans (other than the U12A and the VC):

Front: (2) Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC 3,000 RPM, (1) Corsair stock RGB - the iPPCs are here because Noctua said that would be the best place

Right: (3) Corsair ML120

Top: (2) Corsair stock RGB

Back: (1) Noctua NF-120x25, which is in line with the U12A's fans

all intake front, exhaust back and top. Also, what do you mean by right side in here?

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

all intake front, exhaust back and top. Also, what do you mean by right side in here?

The right side of the case has 3 fans intaking air, which is directed by a shunt plate (not sure of the actual word) over the mobo towards the back of the case.

7 hours ago, RevGAM said:

The right side of the case has 3 fans intaking air, which is directed by a shunt plate (not sure of the actual word) over the mobo towards the back of the case.

You installed three fans behind this plate?

image.png.b5dc0c60b7db55750cc03973f70015ff.png

Those fans are optional placements to make up for front mounted fans that have a completely glass front panel (For looks). That panel is removable (and should be removed if fans are there) to take advantage of the airflow they provide.

-base-5000d-Gallery-5000D-BLACK-21.png_1200Wx1200H

Sadly in the state they are in currently, they are doing very little other than causing additional noise to your system.聽聽

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019--- Rainbow 馃 2020---Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---Blue Build Post---Blue Build Post 2018---Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k聽聽 聽MotherboardGigabyte Z97N-WIFI聽 聽聽RAMG.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz聽聽 聽GPUEVGA GTX1080Ti聽FTW3聽 聽聽CaseCorsair 380T聽 聽

StorageSamsung EVO 250GB,聽Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB,聽WD Black 5TB聽聽 聽PSUCorsair CX750M聽 聽聽CoolingCryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

You installed three fans behind this plate?

image.png.b5dc0c60b7db55750cc03973f70015ff.png

Those fans are optional placements to make up for front mounted fans that have a completely glass front panel (For looks). That panel is removable (and should be removed if fans are there) to take advantage of the airflow they provide.

-base-5000d-Gallery-5000D-BLACK-21.png_1200Wx1200H

Sadly in the state they are in currently, they are doing very little other than causing additional noise to your system.聽聽

Yes, that is where they are聽 I cannot remove the glass plate from the front for fear that our cat will treat the mesh behind it as a scratching area.