Are my benchmark scores normal for my PC ?

ink555

Hi, I have seen people who have a similar rig to mine on Youtube getting a bit more fps than me. Also, in some games, even though my CPU usage is well below %100, my GPU usage doesn't reach %100, so I thought that maybe my benchmark scores help me to figure out if I have any problems with my pc.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/59082125

3DMark Time Spy: https://imgur.com/OpmfRvy

CPU-Z: 478.5 on single thread and 2345.1 on multi-thread 

It's a bit on the low side, but not by a whole lot. It can probably be explained by most people who run a 4790K run them at 4.5GHz at least, so that skews the test results up a bit, or it could just be that your Windows install is pretty dirty and that's what's reducing your benchmark scores. 

10 minutes ago, ink555 said:

even though my CPU usage is well below %100

It could be that one or two of your cores are stuck at 100%, but since you're only looking at overall usage the actual usage remains low. With CPUs, overall usage is kinda meaningless in games since a lot of games aren't really optimized to take advantage of more than 2-3 threads, you really want to just pay attention to the per core usage statistics instead.

On 2/11/2023 at 4:27 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

It's a bit on the low side, but not by a whole lot. It can probably be explained by most people who run a 4790K run them at 4.5GHz at least, so that skews the test results up a bit, or it could just be that your Windows install is pretty dirty and that's what's reducing your benchmark scores. 

It could be that one or two of your cores are stuck at 100%, but since you're only looking at overall usage the actual usage remains low. With CPUs, overall usage is kinda meaningless in games since a lot of games aren't really optimized to take advantage of more than 2-3 threads, you really want to just pay attention to the per core usage statistics instead.

"it could just be that your Windows install is pretty dirty and that's what's reducing your benchmark scores." I have performed a cleaned windows installation on my computer very recently. After that, I downloaded drivers from MSI's and Nvidia's support sites and installed them. Finally, I have updated a few drivers through AVG driver updater. 

"It could be that one or two of your cores are stuck at 100%" I have played a few games to see if one of my cores hits 100% usage but I have seen none of my cores hitting %100 usage. I have put all eight cores of my processor on-screen display via MSI afterburner.

Chivalry 2

Gpu usage was around 45%-75% and there was a few times that one of my CPU cores hit %100 usage but most of the time my CPU usage was around 60%-80%

GTA V

Gpu usage was around 65%-80% while in I was in crowded areas and it was around 85%-95% in sparse areas. My CPU usage was around 60%-80% and one of the cores hit 81% at maximum.

Marvel's Spider-Man 

Gpu usage was around 65%-77% in the city. One of my CPU cores hit 91% at maximum. 

4 minutes ago, ink555 said:

AVG driver updater. 

This is going to be lowering benchmark scores. Most of the major antivirus softwares like AVG, Norton, etc. are going to lower scores, in some cases pretty significantly, especially with older hardware like 4790Ks. 

9 minutes ago, ink555 said:

Marvel's Spider-Man 

Gpu usage was around 65%-77% in the city. One of my CPU cores hit 91% at maximum. 

This game is notoriously memory bandwidth bottlenecked, so odds are it's limited by your memory speed. 

Don't really have any experiences with those other games, so can't really comment on them. A memory bottleneck would make some sense, but not really sure. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

This is going to be lowering benchmark scores. Most of the major antivirus softwares like AVG, Norton, etc. are going to lower scores, in some cases pretty significantly, especially with older hardware like 4790Ks. 

This game is notoriously memory bandwidth bottlenecked, so odds are it's limited by your memory speed. 

Don't really have any experiences with those other games, so can't really comment on them. A memory bottleneck would make some sense, but not really sure. 

Just recently, I have discovered that my rams were on single channel instead of dual, so I have put them into correct slots make them dual. I have seen a performance increase and more usage of gpu in games. However, I still don't reach a constant gpu usage over 90%. Is that normal?

My new 3DMark score: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89062196

"This is going to be lowering benchmark scores. Most of the major antivirus softwares like AVG, Norton, etc. are going to lower scores, in some cases pretty significantly, especially with older hardware like 4790Ks."

AVG driver updater is a program to update drivers. It's not an antivirus software. I uninstalled it after I updated my drivers with it. Did you say that assuming it was an antivirus software?

3 minutes ago, ink555 said:

However, I still don't reach a constant gpu usage over 90%. Is that normal?

Yeah, there's still a memory bottleneck somewhere likely. A lot of newer games are very memory performance sensitive, so that's likely a decent limiting factor. That said, 80-90% usage on average is good enough, and not something I'd be particularly worried about. 

4 minutes ago, ink555 said:

My new 3DMark score: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89062196

That score is exactly where I'd expect it to be. 

5 minutes ago, ink555 said:

AVG driver updater is a program to update drivers. It's not an antivirus software. I uninstalled it after I updated my drivers with it. Did you say that assuming it was an antivirus software?

I could've sworn it was part of AVG's antivirus utility. Still wouldn't recommend using stuff like that though, at best it's snake oil and at worst it's borderline malware. The only two drivers that actually do something for overall performance are the Intel Management Engine and the GPU drivers, everything else is kept plenty up to date by Windows update (and even the Intel ME is handled pretty well by Windows update and should only really be updated manually if you have issues). GPU drivers have their own auto update utility, so that tool is actually useless. 

Also, you can highlight text and hit "Quote selected" in order to quote certain parts of a response, it makes it a bit easier to parse than putting the quote in there manually. 

I could've sworn it was part of AVG's antivirus utility. Still wouldn't recommend using stuff like that though, at best it's snake oil and at worst it's borderline malware. The only two drivers that actually do something for overall performance are the Intel Management Engine and the GPU drivers, everything else is kept plenty up to date by Windows update (and even the Intel ME is handled pretty well by Windows update and should only really be updated manually if you have issues). GPU drivers have their own auto update utility, so that tool is actually useless. 

The reason why I trusted AVG Driver was the fact that a lot of tech sites say it's safe and useful software. For example, Techradar gives it a 4,5 star https://www.techradar.com/reviews/avg-driver-updater

On 2/13/2023 at 3:27 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, there's still a memory bottleneck somewhere likely. A lot of newer games are very memory performance sensitive, so that's likely a decent limiting factor. That said, 80-90% usage on average is good enough, and not something I'd be particularly worried about. 

If something that can reduce this bottlenecking without changing any parts of my PC comes into your mind, please let me know. All these years, I used my rams in single channel and it cost me lower performance in games to some degree.

The reason why I trusted AVG Driver was the fact that a lot of tech sites say it's safe and useful software. For example, Techradar gives it a 4,5 star https://www.techradar.com/reviews/avg-driver-updater

Still doesn't change the fact that it's just not useful. Windows update is good enough, and for the stuff that it's not already has its own auto updater. 

If something that can reduce this bottlenecking without changing any parts of my PC comes into your mind, please let me know. All these years, I used my rams in single channel and it cost me lower performance in games to some degree.

Going to dual channel will help a lot, though if you want more you could do a bit of a RAM overclock. Most DIMMs should do 1866MT/s at least, and there are quite a few that can do 2400MT/s+. That said, RAM overclocking is a ton of work for not a whole lot of performance uplift (at least on DDR3 platforms, DDR4 and DDR5 it's a bit more noticeable), so I'd probably just leave it where it is and enjoy your system.