Ryzen 7 5800x vs Ryzen 7 5800x3d

Perrin
Go to solution Solved by Ripred,

X3D has been nothing but a treat since I popped it in, pushes way more frames out of your GPU in many games and even those that it doesn't it still greatly improves the 1%lows, on the work station editing side of things you'll hear alot say bad about it and while other chips with higher clocks and more cores surely will render faster the X3D is certainly no slouch, also it's usually the render times people talk about in those scenarios but fail to mention how smooth and responsive the programs are during the actual editing, and I find the x3D dose a nice job chewing through poorly optimized plugins, it all depends on your needs though, both are excellent chips.

However if you're doing a new build I'd hold off until the new x3D chips get reviews, they could dominate gaming if that's your goal. 5800x3D recommendations are usually for people who already have an AM4 board and would rather max out it's performance effectively looking to skip am5

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Warzone 2, Forza H5, MSFS

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 4070ti, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz, not decided on mobo yet. I plan on 1080p ultra graphics with 1440/4k once i eventually upgrade my monitor.

My question is: Can anyone give me a definite answer on if the r7 5800x3d is worth it. I can buy either and I've read that the 5800x3d is the "best gaming processor in the world" but I'd like to hear from some users to see if yall think its worth it.

1 minute ago, Perrin said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Warzone 2, Forza H5, MSFS

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 4070ti, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz, not decided on mobo yet. I plan on 1080p ultra graphics with 1440/4k once i eventually upgrade my monitor.

My question is: Can anyone give me a definite answer on if the r7 5800x3d is worth it. I can buy either and I've read that the 5800x3d is the "best gaming processor in the world" but I'd like to hear from some users to see if yall think its worth it.

If you're building a new rig and money is no object, the once released 7800X3D would be a better pick for gaming. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

The advantage of a 5800x over something like a 6 core R5 5600x mostly comes down to the higher frequency and larger boost opportunities of an R7. The cores themselves are not measurably faster per clock and most games don't use the extra cores anyway. 

With the 5800X3D, AMD added a ton of cache to the CPU, which has a significant and positive effect on gaming performance. Per clock and per core the x3D part is quite a bit faster for workloads thay can use the extra cache, like gaming. 

That's why it was a top tier gaming CPU for a while: because it blew away the regular 5000 series parts AND often came out favorably against thr non-x3D 7000 series parts. 

Is it worth it to you? That's a different question, but given your gpu you'd probably benefit from it. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

yup if not moving to AM5 go 5800x3D slower than a 5800x in workloads but in the majority of games and exceelent performer. even kicked intel off the top place on many games when it was released and the beast still holding its own today. excellent gaming CPU.

As a 5800X3D user, its worth it, if you already have an upgradeable AM4 system, but when you build a new system and it fits in your budget, a newer processor might be a better idea. Especially with the 7800X3D on the horizon.

On 2/8/2023 at 4:18 PM, Perrin said:

If I were you, I'd definitely consider Intel's side of things rn... the 13600K is a great CPU for CPU limited situations but might not be as fast for gaming, it really depends what you'll be using it for. between the x3d and the non x3d, i'd probably pick the x3d as its so much quicker in gaming. if you have an unlimited budget tho, i'd grab something from the 7000 series as that platform will be supported for years now. plus, DDR5 RAM is coming down in price and now new am5 motherboards are being released , am5 is probably the way to go. 

and also, i would definitely reconsider your 4070Ti unless youve already bought it. AMDs side seems much better value for now, but it depends if you wanna deal with drivers and other random issues with AMD rather than spend the extra buck on NVIDIA.

X3D has been nothing but a treat since I popped it in, pushes way more frames out of your GPU in many games and even those that it doesn't it still greatly improves the 1%lows, on the work station editing side of things you'll hear alot say bad about it and while other chips with higher clocks and more cores surely will render faster the X3D is certainly no slouch, also it's usually the render times people talk about in those scenarios but fail to mention how smooth and responsive the programs are during the actual editing, and I find the x3D dose a nice job chewing through poorly optimized plugins, it all depends on your needs though, both are excellent chips.

However if you're doing a new build I'd hold off until the new x3D chips get reviews, they could dominate gaming if that's your goal. 5800x3D recommendations are usually for people who already have an AM4 board and would rather max out it's performance effectively looking to skip am5

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys, I have A 5800x3D that i am a bit confused with the performance.
In Ryzen master it shows the CPU as not consuming more than 80w of power while i am running a cinebench multicore bench. worth noting that i am not thermal throttling, im sitting with a 72' package temp. but clocks also sitting at 4.2. any advice? i have a1000w plat PSU - so its not a PSU issue I am using a B550 strix Mobo latest FW Gskil 3600 c16 ram1

Anyone got any advice as to what is holding it back from using full tdp and hitiing max speed