Third ram?

I have 2 x 16 gigs of ram, I also have a third ram stick of the same type, I was hoping to have 3 sticks of ram for my computer, but when I tried, it was very unstable and would crash and blue screen frequently. Does anyone have any clue if this is possible?

Mixing ram that didnt come from the same package all together can cause instability. What system is this? ddr4 or ddr5?

Plus, using 3 sticks may put your memory into single channel mode rather than dual, and that will get you worse performance(still more ram, just slower), but im not 100% sure on that part.

The problem is your 2x16GB kit will be running in dual channel, with the 3rd stick running single channel. Combine that with possibly different IC chips, memory size, memory speed and timings; yes it's going to cause crashing/freezing/BSOD. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Definitely, some DIMMs don't get along with each other. On most systems you won't want to run 3 sticks of RAM anyways. There are some HEDT CPUs that support triple channel, but not common mainstream ones. 

1 minute ago, matt0725 said:

Plus, using 3 sticks may put your memory into single channel mode rather than dual, and that will get you worse performance(still more ram, just slower), but im not 100% sure on that part.

As I understand it, it will run the first 2 sticks in dual channel, and the 3rd in single, so once you get to that stick there'll be a slowdown. The instability is likely just different ICs and such as @CommanderAlexpointed out. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

33 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

The problem is your 2x16GB kit will be running in dual channel, with the 3rd stick running single channel. Combine that with possibly different IC chips, memory size, memory speed and timings; yes it's going to cause crashing/freezing/BSOD. 

Only platforms that support Intel Flex Mode can be fine with DIMMs of different sizes.

The last time i used this was in 2011 on a Sandy Bridge CPU.

I paired a 4GB DIMM with a 2GB DIMM and run them with Intel Flex Mode.

Though i am not sure how Intel Flex Mode handles a third DIMM and whether it's supported on the platform you are using or supported at all.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Check the motherboard manual, you will need to put the third module in the correct slot or it wont work. (especially for Ryzen, idk about intel).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

IMG_20220515_152325.thumb.jpg.6f078a9fbabb348252fa0ae4d5361760.jpg

Meanwhile i can get to 80% of the ddr2 wr (1520) p95 large ffts stable in a goofy ass 1x3 config, though these sticks are the same ic so unsurprising they work fine

Pretty sure you just have different ics that hate each other, and yes the 3rd stick will run in single channel but the 2 other sticks will be dual channel since the first 32gb are in 2 diff channels, the last 16gb are in single channel cause there isnt a stick on the other channel to accompany it, but if you need the extra ram itll still be faster than a crappy pagefile

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

i fall under all those criteria since ddr3 era (or possibly ever since my first pc in 2007 with which initially came with 512mb ram to which i later added 1gb stick) and yet encounter anything like that,

15 minutes ago, xdagamer said:

i fall under all those criteria since ddr3 era (or possibly ever since my first pc in 2007 with which initially came with 512mb ram to which i later added 1gb stick) and yet encounter anything like that,

Perhaps at JEDEC timings it ran at, but not XMP.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 hours ago, matt0725 said:

Mixing ram that didnt come from the same package all together can cause instability. What system is this? ddr4 or ddr5?

Ddr4, they are all Gskill ripjaw ram with xmp 2.0