Weird results with Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test on macOS VM with HDD

Vishera
Go to solution Solved by johnno23,

Then it sounds like an inconsistency with the App Black magic because if your VM is working well and doing what you require it to do then those performance issue are either not an issue or Black Magic just thinks that they are. 

Myself I no longer use the app...I have both Mac hardware and PC hardware on my desk and I could never wrap my head around some BM results even when run back to back they could and often did change. I have a mac mini 2018 where to solve the issue of boot drive being too small I added an extra 1TB external for all my apps downloads etc as the mac will work just like the PC it only needs have the correct path to the drives. I also added a second Thunderbolt 1TB as a mac time machine backup. Everything works flawlessly but BM was just to inconsistent in its results for my liking. 

Weird results with Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test on macOS VM with HDD,

What's is going on here? - Those results don't make sense.

image.thumb.png.eac410d2c738a44e1174433229f294df.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Virtual Machine or Virtual Memory.

Simply asking as on my older Macs I always had scratch disks for Photoshop and they were very fast read and write versus the internal mechanical drives back in the old days.

Also if it is a virtual machine it is very much dependant upon how you set it up and the resources available to it.

if concerned about the red X either the virtual machine cannot use the resources to run them correctly or they were simply not recognised would be my assumption.

Also was black magic running from within the Virtual machine itself ? so many factor could throw up very odd results in any type of testing apps.

Basically if the setup you have is working well and you are satisfied I would simply ignore odd result from test apps. 

10 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

Virtual Machine or Virtual Memory.

It's a virtual machine.

if concerned about the red X either the virtual machine cannot use the resources to run them correctly or they were simply not recognised would be my assumption.

The red X determines that with performance of the drive is not sufficient for those workloads.

Also was black magic running from within the Virtual machine itself ?

Yes, It was.

Basically if the setup you have is working well and you are satisfied I would simply ignore odd result from test apps. 

I will keep that in mind,

Thanks for the help!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Then it sounds like an inconsistency with the App Black magic because if your VM is working well and doing what you require it to do then those performance issue are either not an issue or Black Magic just thinks that they are. 

Myself I no longer use the app...I have both Mac hardware and PC hardware on my desk and I could never wrap my head around some BM results even when run back to back they could and often did change. I have a mac mini 2018 where to solve the issue of boot drive being too small I added an extra 1TB external for all my apps downloads etc as the mac will work just like the PC it only needs have the correct path to the drives. I also added a second Thunderbolt 1TB as a mac time machine backup. Everything works flawlessly but BM was just to inconsistent in its results for my liking. 

5 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

Everything works flawlessly but BM was just to inconsistent in its results for my liking. 

That seems like the issue i am having,

So the Disk Speed Test app is unreliable...

I am not expert enough to trash the app but I kinda did not trust it as Cystal disk mark apps for example for years has always given solid results that are repeatable consistenlty.thats my simple logic. 

As for checking my hardware I am also a HWinfo fanboy so black magic is not really something I would use anymore. please note that this is my personal take and opinion not a trashing of an app where maybe other are quite pleased and happy with it.