Advice on a Mini ITX Conversion

hwg315

My friend is looking to swap to a mini ITX case and I'm looking for advice on which case to buy. She's willing to spend $300-$400 on this conversion for new motherboard, cooler, PSU, etc. I don't own a pc but I built the one she has now and I'll be doing the swap so any advice is also good. Heres her current parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GXZ6xs

Lots of options out there, but they're usually on the pricey side. How small does she want to go?

On the cheaper end of the scale I've found the LianLi A4H20 to be a pretty good deal.

If she doesn't mind used you can get the more boutique cases very affordably with a little waiting. I paid ~$80 for my Streamcom DA2, an almost $400 discount.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The phanteks P200A is nice because most GPUs fit in it easily, it takes ATX PSUs, and big coolers fit in it easily.  It also has good airflow, and the GPU draws air from directly under the case.  It's not the smalles itx case, but it's pretty small.  Same with the maginum gear neo mini and torrent nano (they are a little smaller than the P200A).  There's actually a lot of itx cases that fit most normal stuff pretty well.  The thermaltake tower is a little bit different layout, but it still stays pretty cool for an itx case while letting you use regular size stuff.

But frankly, it wouldn't be much smaller than what she has already.  It might be worth it if she was able to get some money back for her other motherboard and case.

ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard (Z690M-ITX/ax) - PCPartPicker

MagniumGear Neo Mini V2 Mini ITX Desktop Case (MG-NE210_BK02) - PCPartPicker

Phanteks Eclipse P200A DRGB Mini ITX Tower Case (PH-EC200ATG_DBK01) - PCPartPicker

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Nano Mini ITX Tower Case (FD-C-MES2N-01) - PCPartPicker

Fractal Design Torrent Nano RGB Mini ITX Tower Case (FD-C-TOR1N-02) - PCPartPicker

Thermaltake The Tower 100 Mini ITX Tower Case (CA-1R3-00S1WN-00) - PCPartPicker

With the maginum gear neo mini you'd probably wanna buy a pair of P12s for intake and move the included intake fan to the exhaust.  The front panel is solid but there's a lot of room for ventilation on the sides next to it, so good high pressure fans like P12s should be good for intake (the GPU gets it's air from below anyway)

With the Phanteks P200A and Torrent Nano, they come with intake fans, but a single P12 for exhaust might be worth it.  The motherboard only has 3 fan headers, so the first P12 you get should be a PST, and the second can be a regular one.  IDK if any of the fans with any of these cases have PST otherwise.  The torrent nano only has a single intake 180mm fan, so with it you could just get a single regular P12 and you'd have headers for each fan.  Unless she has an extra fan splitter lying around.

TBH, if it were me and I were trying to go smaller than that DepCool case but still be able to use most of my stuff, the Fractal Design Torrent Nano would be my pick, with a single P12 added for exhaust.  (or any random 120mm fan you might have laying around).  It's a bit smaller than the others and still has all the right design choices for an itx case.  And it's a decent downsize.

ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (ACFAN00119A) - PCPartPicker

But if she wants to go smaller it's a whole different ball game.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

7 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Thermaltake The Tower 100 Mini ITX Tower Case (CA-1R3-00S1WN-00) - PCPartPicker

I second that.

Not the cheapest case but great to work with.

Has plenty of space for even the largest of air coolers. I managed to get a Noctua NH-D15 in it but it did look a bit silly. 2 x 2.5" SSDs at the side and a 3.5" regular HDD in the rear compartment. You can get a 2nd large disk back there as well but it takes a bit of botchery. 

If you ever wanted to go down the AIO route a 120mm option is also perfectly doable.

And as I have just finished a custom loop build in one, you can get a 120mm rad with 2 fans doing push / pull and a 3rd on the main compartment floor but you'll need to make your own mounting holes.

Another great case (although discontinued so you might need to hunt on eBay) is the Corsair 250d. 

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

Thanks for all your responses, I did have the LianLi H20 and The Tower already on my radar, but after a trip to micro center, she's going with the SSUPD Meshroom. I think it'll fit the old motherboard and the only other thing we may need is an SFX PSU. 

7 minutes ago, hwg315 said:

Thanks for all your responses, I did have the LianLi H20 and The Tower already on my radar, but after a trip to micro center, she's going with the SSUPD Meshroom. I think it'll fit the old motherboard and the only other thing we may need is an SFX PSU. 

SOLID CHOICE.  

The meshroom can take mATX boards and ATX PSUs (the BQ she has is only 140mm and it works with up to 170mm).  It's the best little case anyone has ever designed.  Wasn't sure if it was what you were looking for (it's not everyone's cup of tea aesthetically) otherwise I would have brought it up.  Yeah all of her shit will  fit in there except the cooler.  Gonna need an AiO:

ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW X 76.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (FROSTFLOW X 280) - PCPartPicker

ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW X 74.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (FROSTFLOW X 240 SNOW) - PCPartPicker

The frostflow X seems to actually perform very well despite being so cheap based on reviews I've read and an unboxing I watched.  Allegedly, the fittings are good and in all reality, a 2080 is a 280 and a 240 is a 240, thermodynamics are thermodynamics.  Either of these would work well, depends on if she got the white or black meshroom.  But yea, it fits 240 and 280mm radiators.

You could also get a low profile air cooler, but the 12600k is kind of a hot chip.

EDIT:

Witha mATX bboard, 280mm AiO can be kind of a tight fit.  A 240mm AiO might be a better/easier choice, and this is s slightly newer model for ID that still does pretty well:

ID-COOLING DASHFLOW 240 BASIC 82.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (DASHFLOW 240 BASIC BLACK) - PCPartPicker

If she got the white meshroom, the frostflow from my last post would be fine.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, Queen Chrysalis said:

SOLID CHOICE.  

The meshroom can take mATX boards and ATX PSUs (the BQ she has is only 140mm and it works with up to 170mm).  It's the best little case anyone has ever designed.  Wasn't sure if it was what you were looking for (it's not everyone's cup of tea aesthetically) otherwise I would have brought it up.  Yeah all of her shit will  fit in there except the cooler.  Gonna need an AiO:

ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW X 76.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (FROSTFLOW X 280) - PCPartPicker

ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW X 74.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (FROSTFLOW X 240 SNOW) - PCPartPicker

The frostflow X seems to actually perform very well despite being so cheap based on reviews I've read and an unboxing I watched.  Allegedly, the fittings are good and in all reality, a 2080 is a 280 and a 240 is a 240, thermodynamics are thermodynamics.  Either of these would work well, depends on if she got the white or black meshroom.  But yea, it fits 240 and 280mm radiators.

You could also get a low profile air cooler, but the 12600k is kind of a hot chip.

Thanks for responding to me, we bought a low profile noctua cooler at the same time as the case. The case is green and I actually think the noctua color scheme might work kind of nicely. The SSUPD website says it can take a full size ATX motherboard so that's what we're trying. According to some reviews and other forums you need an SFX PSU to make an ATX motherboard work so we bought one of those too. I'm hoping all the parts arrive and we can build it this weekend. I have a friend who is lending me an LTT Screwdriver so I'm excited to take that for a spin. She actually quite likes the aesthetics of the Meshroom. We walked into MicroCenter and she said it was "looking at her" like a cute animal in a pet store. 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:27 PM, hwg315 said:

@Queen Chrysalishow does the meshroom compare to the Sama case @Kinda Bottleneckedsuggested at half the price?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

7 hours ago, hwg315 said:

According to some reviews and other forums you need an SFX PSU to make an ATX motherboard work so we bought one of those too.

If your case doesn't have space for a full-sized PSU, then you would need an SFX (small form factor) PSU. Otherwise, any decent PSU that fits the Meshroom and meets your system's needs will suffice. The downside of SFX PSUs CAN BE that they provide the same power as a larger one but cost more to buy.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂